What's new

Karnataka corner!

neevu bhagavahisabahudu :)

btw, suswagatha :)
Looks like this isn't the same "Kanada",I was expecting......

doh.gif

shifty.gif

runaway.gif

I still remember a Kannada teleserial from the early 90s....Guddada Bhoota. It had a haunting tune as well.

The lyrics went something like: Tulunada Seemaedu, Kamarottu Gramodu....Guddada Bhoota undu aaaeeeeeee....:fie:

And I believe that was Prakash Rai's breakthrough role on TV as well.

Bunt community have various bootas as their family deity. & you would see something called bhoota sthana in their family house, where they worship these deities. & Prakash Rai himself is a bunt too!

Bunt community have various bootas as their family deity. & you would see something called bhoota sthana in their family house, where they worship these deities. & Prakash Rai himself is a bunt too!

In GSBs as well. Most prominent bhhota is chawdi ! Chawdi is considered as keelu devate however still blokes beleive in worshiping.

And I believe the Kateel troupe is booked for the next 5 years! As in, many people sometimes take a Harake that they'll host the Kateel troupe for a performance in their villages/towns. If you ask for a booking now, you'll be granted a slot only after 4-5 years.

And the Saligrama Mela and Perdoor Mela are still Tenkuthittu Yakshagana melas. The Idagunji Yakshagana Mandali is the most famous of Badaguthittu melas.

You are right. Apparently Kateel has 5 troupes now.. & all of them are fully booked! & during the season you will see daily yakshagana at kateel itself. They are all Harake ones played in absence of the donor!

In GSBs as well. Most prominent bhhota is chawdi ! Chawdi is considered as keelu devate however still blokes beleive in worshiping.

I have heard about that. & mostly GSBs have their kula devate in Goa.. right? I think Vijay Mallya has his Kula Devate in Goa. I heard him saying once!

Prakash Rai left our film industry for lack of good opportunities. Pity, he was such a good actor.

And something similar to Spirit/Bhoota worship exists in NK too. They're called Chaudi Kattes. Chaudi is a corruption of Chandi, but it's like a village spirit, usually thought to live on Banyan or Fig trees. Once in a while, people undertake a small pooja near such trees to appease the spirit.

@kseeker You guys also worship Chaudi, right?

I have heard about that. & mostly GSBs have their kula devate in Goa.. right? I think Vijay Mallya has his Kula Devate in Goa. I heard him saying once!

Cent percent right. Around 90% GSBs have their kuladevata in Goa, rest of them have their kuladevata in North kanara and south kanara districts especially in Ankola Avarsa, Moolki, Shirali Bhatkal etc...

Prakash Rai left our film industry for lack of good opportunities. Pity, he was such a good actor.

And something similar to Spirit/Bhoota worship exists in NK too. They're called Chaudi Kattes. Chaudi is a corruption of Chandi, but it's like a village spirit, usually thought to live on Banyan or Fig trees. Once in a while, people undertake a small pooja near such trees to appease the spirit.

I think this spirit worshiping culture is quite common throughout Karnataka & Kerala. Only difference is the form & the way in which people of different part worship. End of the day essence & logic is same for all!

I think this spirit worshiping culture is quite common throughout Karnataka & Kerala. Only difference is the form & the way in which people of different part worship. End of the day essence & logic is same for all!

Given that there are so many similarities between the people of Coastal and Malnad Karnataka with Kerala, I often wonder, did we borrow more from them or they more from us. :)

Gentlemen, good night. AAAAj ke samachar samapth.

:sleep:
Matte sigona Sir :)

Namaskara ellaru Chennagidara :)

I have heard Karnataka people usually knows 1 or 2 other neighbouring state language since a large population of Marathi,Konkani,Telgu and Tamil speakers lives there. is that true?

Given that there are so many similarities between the people of Coastal and Malnad Karnataka with Kerala, I often wonder, did we borrow more from them or they more from us. :)

In the case of coastal & bordering areas I think there is more of a shared culture rather than borrowing anyone's. If you cross over to Kasargod & Manjeshwar.. you'll notice the same thing, more of a karnataka culture than hardcore malyali culture. So.. it basically balances out!

Namaskara ellaru Chennagidara :)

I have heard Karnataka people usually knows 1 or 2 other neighbouring state language since a large population of Marathi,Konkani,Telgu and Tamil speakers lives there. is that true?

Namaskara Sir. Suswagata! :)
That's usually the case for people living near the border regions or in Bangalore. But I've been in Bangalore most of my life and haven't picked up any neighbouring language. :( But yeah, in Bangalore, I know many who've mastered all 4 major S.Indian languages.

In the case of coastal & bordering areas I think there is more of a shared culture rather than borrowing anyone's. If you cross over to Kasargod & Manjeshwar.. you'll notice the same thing, more of a karnataka culture than hardcore malyali culture. So.. it basically balances out!

Bang on! :tup: I realised it the moment I typed that. My reasoning was flawed on many levels. This Us vs Them is such a recent phenomenon.

Do you guys think BJP can make a comeback in Karnataka in Lok Sabha elections

Do you guys think BJP can make a comeback in Karnataka in Lok Sabha elections

I don't know the popular mood towards BJP, but support for Modi is very healthy in Karnataka.

@Android Thing is, BJP rule in karnataka was one of the worst that Karnataka had seen in a long time. But I trust the average voter in karnataka is smart enough to know who's good for the Centre and who's good for the State. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom