What's new

Karnataka corner!

Aadre Sirsi petenalli yengal bhaashe ellaru balastwilleyala...alli heechin jana maatada bhaashe swalpa kundapura mat hubli bhaashe mix haang kelstu. :)

Here you go... my prediction was 100% correct :D

Neevu hegdeyavra athava bhatra ?

I have had doubts about it. Firstly, there is no clear identification of what is a dialect and what is a language. Secondly, there was a now extinct language spoken in the area called "pikalara bhashe". You won't find any reference to this one in net and the last person who spoke and read this language passed away couple of years ago. He had also written a book on this (Keladi Gundajois). People say this havyaka is (atleast shimoga varient) mix of kannada and pikalara bhashe, which will make it a separate language.

I had hward abt pikslara bhashe long ago from my friend however, it's still kannada with some twist as per him,

parden my any typo becos I am high now, already had 2 quarters of whiskey :D

I have had doubts about it. Firstly, there is no clear identification of what is a dialect and what is a language. Secondly, there was a now extinct language spoken in the area called "pikalara bhashe". You won't find any reference to this one in net and the last person who spoke and read this language passed away couple of years ago. He had also written a book on this (Keladi Gundajois). People say this havyaka is (atleast shimoga varient) mix of kannada and pikalara bhashe, which will make it a separate language.

A language is just a dialect with an Army. :-)

I had hward abt pikslara bhashe long ago from my friend however, it's still kannada with some twist as per him,

parden my any typo becos I am high now, already had 2 quarters of whiskey :D
Ha ha...... One of my relatives were cleaning their attic and got a bunch of scriptures. They could not make any head or tail of it. Only later they came to know that it was scripture in pikalara. I don't know whether it is only the script or the language itself was different. I seriously need to read that book...

@Thirdfront @kseeker And have you guys heard the language of Sanketi brahmins? It's again something else altogether!(It's some form of archaic Tamil creole than Kannada)

@Thirdfront @kseeker And have you guys heard the language of Sanketi brahmins? It's again something else altogether!(It's some form of archaic Tamil creole than Kannada)
I had a sanketi friend. But he used to speak with regular kannada. People tend to whitewash everything as "kannada". And in the jest of proclaiming true kannada culture, they impose majority kannada on every one.In reality, kannada has so many varients like Kunda, Tenka, Havyaka, Byari and so on. Unfortunately, all these are losing out and no effort are being done to docment and study them before they disappear...

Are you also from Uttara Kannada? Though, I guess with literature on Pikalarabhaashe in your attic, you're probably from Thirthahalli. :)

Pikalara bahshe was (according to folklore here) was official language of Keladi nayakas...

kannada has so many varients like Kunda, Tenka, Havyaka, Byari and so on. Unfortunately, all these are losing out and no effort are being done to docment and study them before they disappear...

What are kunda nad tenkaa ? byari is no kannada, AFAik, it's more of a malayalam dominsted language !

Back
Top Bottom