What's new

Karnataka corner!

@kseeker Tipu tanna yaava nererajyagala jotenoo olle sambandhagalanna itkondirlilla. Ellara viruddha baree jagala kaadidde aitu.

Moreover, avanu bahalashtu Hindugalige ketta kirukula kotta kroori. I don't have much respect for him.

Chanagiddeve :)....... Navu Nalakku varsha Karnataka alli Kalsa madithu..... Nanage kannada solpa solpa baruthe...

Keli santosha aaitu :) Kannada Corner'ge swagatha nimage :)

Tipu tanna yaava nererajyagala jotenoo olle sambandhagalanna itkondirlilla. Ellara viruddha baree jagala kaadidde aitu.

Moreover, avanu bahalashtu Hindugalige ketta kirukula kotta kroori. I don't have much respect for him.

I don't have any respect for him.

There's always a debate on oldest language of the india! Tamilians say that Tamil is the oldest however, I read somewhere Kannada ( Halegannada ) was the oldest one.

Getlemen, any thoughts ?

@Indischer @vivINDIAN @Hermione @JanjaWeed @KEMPE GOWDA @IndoCarib

I'd say Tamil today has preserved greater elements of Proto-Dravidian than Kannada, but it would be wrong to say Tamil is the oldest. Both Kannada and Tamil have evolved simultaneously from a much older Proto-Language. For a lack of concrete proof, I won't say Kannada is the oldest either.

Only one thing is for sure. Dravidian languages are older than Sanskrit.

Is it just me or Kannada is lot more "familiar" for a North Indian ,compared to say Tamil? I can see a lot of Sanskrit derived words.

Is it just me or Kannada is lot more "familiar" for a North Indian ,compared to say Tamil? I can see a lot of Sanskrit derived words.

Almost all the south indian language has lot sanskrit derived words..... You know for salt every languages use the same word "Uppu" (just an example)

Kannada has abandoned the usage of many original dravidian words in favour of loanwords from Sanskrit while Tamil has stoutly resisted it. I can barely understand anything from Old Kannada (5th-12th century) and can pick up just the general import from middle Kannada (12th-18th century).

Almost all the south indian language has lot sanskrit derived words..... You know for salt every languages use the same word "Uppu" (just an example)
Probably the percentage of Sanskrit loanwords is highest in Malayalam followed by Kannada and Telugu.

I agree with @nair .

All south Indian languages have Sanskrit words in common.

If you know any one of the south Indian language (Kannada, Tamil, Telugu and Malayalam) you can understand other languages; not entirely however, at least figure out what others are talking, you would get the context right :)

Tulu is an exception though. Am I right @JanjaWeed ?

Probably the percentage of Sanskrit loanwords is highest in Malayalam followed by Kannada and Telugu.

Couldn't agree more :tup:

@nair Earlier in kannada,the word for Thank You used to be Nannigalu. Now, it's Dhanyavadagalu. I believe it's still Nanni in Malayalam?

Kannada has abandoned the usage of many original dravidian words in favour of loanwords from Sanskrit while Tamil has stoutly resisted it. I can barely understand anything from Old Kannada (5th-12th century) and can pick up just the general import from middle Kannada (12th-18th century).

:haha:

Very true. Halegannada is really difficult to comprehend. I still remember byhearting halegannada poems in primary and high school without knowing what actually they are :D

If you know any one of the south Indian language (Kannada, Tamil, Telugu and Malayalam) you can understand other languages; not entirely however, at least figure out what others are talking, you would get the context right :)

Tulu is an exception though. Am I right @JanjaWeed

Not really @kseeker ... Tulu has quite a lot in common with Kannada & Malayalam both... more so Kannada than any other south Indian languages. But yes... all South Indian languages are unique & has quite a lot in common despite having their own script!

Back
Top Bottom