What's new

Karnataka corner!

Nimagu namaskara swami.

Ee thread shuru madidikke

5T07vFe.jpg

Last edited:
Tagolappa, bandaebitru! Innu yaaka baralilla va, Hubballiyova, Vaaradaage moorasaari muddaam barava, anta yochistidde. :lol:

Nim Hubballi bhaashe noda, bhaari maja kodtaiti kelskal-likka. Chonnadaaga Jondgya hokkdasht khushi aat pa! :laugh:

:lol:

Yes....it's more like a mixture of Hubballi Kannada and Kundapura Kannada. Though, the language that we speak in my home is exclusive to our community(I guess you knew that already).

Havyaka ?

shirasi-siddapura local kannada resembles north karnataka kannada, isn't it ?
Nope. We speak "havyaka" which is not purely kannada. Even though people call it a dialect of kannada, there is no research into this language. Havyaka itself has 3 major dialects, Sirasi, Shimoga and Puttur variants....

Linguists have found a Dravidian substratum in Vedic Sanskrit, suggesting that Vedic Sanskrit itself borrowed from an older language already prevalent in India.
Substratum in Vedic Sanskrit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Borrowing words from another language not necessarily makes one older than the other. Another thing is, Dravidian words were only found in later rig vedic texts. So, it is not appropriate to say Dravidian languages are older on basis of this argument.

Nope. We speak "havyaka" which is not purely kannada. Even though people call it a dialect of kannada, there is no research into this language. Havyaka itself has 3 major dialects, Sirasi, Shimoga and Puttur variants....

One of my close friend is a havyKA BRHAMIN, it's an another dialect of kannada. And yes, even though there are many scholars in havyakka community, there's no extensive research as of now., perhaps, you might want to write a wiki article about it :)

Aadre Sirsi petenalli yengal bhaashe ellaru balastwilleyala...alli heechin jana maatada bhaashe swalpa kundapura mat hubli bhaashe mix haang kelstu. :)

One of my close friend is a havyKA BRHAMIN, it's an another dialect of kannada. And yes, even though there are many scholars in havyakka community, there's no extensive research as of now., perhaps, you might want to write a wiki article about it :)
Adaroounn suLemagand ad heng typing mistak aat antha gotilripaa nanga :P
Hattraounouna! Love that word! :lol:

MADIKERI (KARNATAKA , WESTERN GHATS )
images

ABBY FALLS

images

Kodava-Couple.jpg

madikeri.jpg

if you are a nature lover then madikeri is a very good place to go , you will find many good home stays in the midst of tea estates , and the locals are very good though being a tourist spot they won't cheat which is so common in other places in india .

I have had doubts about it. Firstly, there is no clear identification of what is a dialect and what is a language. Secondly, there was a now extinct language spoken in the area called "pikalara bhashe". You won't find any reference to this one in net and the last person who spoke and read this language passed away couple of years ago. He had also written a book on this (Keladi Gundajois). People say this havyaka is (atleast shimoga varient) mix of kannada and pikalara bhashe, which will make it a separate language.

Our language still uses a lot of words from halegannada that have died out in mainstream usage. It's probably because of this that many Kannadigas sometimes don't get it when we use our language.

Back
Top Bottom