What's new

Karnataka corner!

I had hward abt pikslara bhashe long ago from my friend however, it's still kannada with some twist as per him,

parden my any typo becos I am high now, already had 2 quarters of whiskey :D
Speaking of 2 quarters, I liked that Kudukara Anthem song :)

What are kunda nad tenkaa ? byari is no kannada, AFAik, it's more of a malayalam dominsted language !
Kunda is a dialect spoken in Kundapur region. Tenka is spoken in Nilgiri region of TN. Unfortunately, they have changed their script from Kannada to Tamil. This after 30-40 years after they were taken from Karnataka and added to TN. I might be wrong about Byari but I know one other dialect that I can't think of now....

Kunda is a dialect spoken in Kundapur region. Tenka is spoken in Nilgiri region of TN. Unfortunately, they have changed their script from Kannada to Tamil. This after 30-40 years after they were taken from Karnataka and added to TN. I might be wrong about Byari but I know one other dialect that I can't think of now....

Little wonder that famous peak near Ooty is known as Doddabetta peak :)

@JanjaWeed Is Yakshagaana big amongst the Bunts?

@Thirdfront The Kota Brahmins of South Kanara also have a distinct variation in their Kannada.

While Yaskhagana is very much a part of tulunadu culture in general.... boota kola is more of a bunts thing in particular!
Ahso! Yakshagaana is also very dear to our community. There are two styles in it, the Badagutittu and the Tenkutittu. While Badaguthittu is prevalent in North Kanara, the Tenkuthittu style is definitive of Tulunadu.

Do you get to see them in UK(United Kingdom, not Uttara Kannada)? :)

Can I grab some Timbits ?

Welcome dude. :-)

@Indischer @kseeker
A glimpse of boota kola, part of bunt culture & belief!

I still remember a Kannada teleserial from the early 90s....Guddada Bhoota. It had a haunting tune as well.

The lyrics went something like: Tulunada Seemaedu, Kamarottu Gramodu....Guddada Bhoota undu aaaeeeeeee....:fie:

And I believe that was Prakash Rai's breakthrough role on TV as well.

Ahso! Yakshagaana is also very dear to our community. There are two styles in it, the Badagutittu and the Tenkutittu. While Badaguthittu is prevalent in North Kanara, the Tenkuthittu style is definitive of Tulunadu.

Do you get to see them in UK(United Kingdom, not Uttara Kannada)? :)

You are spot on. You have kateel & karnataka troupe which is famous around our neck of the woods. & I remember when I was a kid once I watched shaligrama troupe... I think they are from north kanara, different style. I haven't watched one for quite sometime now.

You are spot on. You have kateel & karnataka troupe which is famous around our neck of the woods. & I remember when I was a kid once I watched shaligrama troupe... I think they are from north kanara, different style. I haven't watched one for quite sometime now.

And I believe the Kateel troupe is booked for the next 5 years! As in, many people sometimes take a Harake that they'll host the Kateel troupe for a performance in their villages/towns. If you ask for a booking now, you'll be granted a slot only after 4-5 years.

And the Saligrama Mela and Perdoor Mela are still Tenkuthittu Yakshagana melas. The Idagunji Yakshagana Mandali is the most famous of Badaguthittu melas.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom