What's new

Karakorum - 8 (K-8) | Jet Trainer Aircraft.

Yak 130 is an advanced jet trainer which pilots use prior to going into fast jets, the K-8 is a basic to intermediate trainer. This is the aircraft that pilots graduate to when they have completed training on a basic fighter trainer like a turboprop Super Tucano or Hurkus. As such it depends on you pilot training regimens which one is more valuable to you. For PAF, they have dual seat fighters (Mirages and F-7) that fulfill the advance trainer role which will be replaced with simulators and dual seat JF-17s.

PAF pilots start on super-mushak and graduate to K-8 or T-37s then into Operational Conversion Units (OCUs) which utilize dual seat fast jets for training (i.e. Mirage, FT-7, F-16B/D and in future, JF-17B). There really isnt a need for something like YAK-130.

On the other hand if you utilize a basic turboprop (super Mushak) to advanced turboprop (Hurkus or Super Tucano or Texan II), you may consider an advanced jet trainer (like Yak 130 or T-38 Talon or T-50 Golden Eagle) prior to fast jet conversion.
The PAF has been using the K-8 in the FCU role, which is basically LIFT. So, it's Super Mushshak to T-37 to K-8. If there's a K-8 replacement on the roadmap, it would be a LIFT platform. But a lot of them are expensive, not just upfront but usage too, to the point of reaching F-16/JF-17 levels. So a K-8 replacement would need to be a small jet, e.g. L-159, Freedom Trainer, etc

Last edited:
The PAF has been using the K-8 in the FCU role, which is basically LIFT. So, it's Super Mushshak to T-37 to K-8. If there's a K-8 replacement on the roadmap, it would be a LIFT platform. But a lot of them are expensive, not just upfront but usage too, to the point of reaching F-16/JF-17 levels. So a K-8 replacement would need to be a small jet, e.g. L-159, Freedom Trainer, etc
PAC need to start a program
like HAL Advanced Hawk
to modernize the K-8 into Super Karakorum

PAC need to start a program
like HAL Advanced Hawk
to modernize the K-8 into Super Karakorum
The HAL Advanced Hawk simply brought up the Hawk 132 (which was made to the mid 1990s standard) to the modern day standard, which is already in numerous air forces around the world. So it is not a major upgrade, it is simply a catch-up.

True but K-8 can be very significantly improved. I have seen them across the border in Windhoek. While it is a basic jet trainer, there is tremendous potential. Looks like no new development has taken place in a decade.

True but K-8 can be very significantly improved. I have seen them across the border in Windhoek. While it is a basic jet trainer, there is tremendous potential. Looks like no new development has taken place in a decade.
Agreed...

Indeed. No reason why the K-8 can't be given a new higher thrust turbofan, new avionics suite and potentially even radar.

u_mar31e.jpeg

K8 Sherdils

Yak 130 is an advanced jet trainer which pilots use prior to going into fast jets, the K-8 is a basic to intermediate trainer. This is the aircraft that pilots graduate to when they have completed training on a basic fighter trainer like a turboprop Super Tucano or Hurkus. As such it depends on you pilot training regimens which one is more valuable to you. For PAF, they have dual seat fighters (Mirages and F-7) that fulfill the advance trainer role which will be replaced with simulators and dual seat JF-17s.

PAF pilots start on super-mushak and graduate to K-8 or T-37s then into Operational Conversion Units (OCUs) which utilize dual seat fast jets for training (i.e. Mirage, FT-7, F-16B/D and in future, JF-17B). There really isnt a need for something like YAK-130.

On the other hand if you utilize a basic turboprop (super Mushak) to advanced turboprop (Hurkus or Super Tucano or Texan II), you may consider an advanced jet trainer (like Yak 130 or T-38 Talon or T-50 Golden Eagle) prior to fast jet conversion.

In BAF use, Yak 130 is replacing the Czech L39 in AJT training role. Although I suspect more advanced LET aircraft versions were available.

Little work on Air Frame , new engine and better and advance AV and EW suits with any small radar make it very best Basic to Moderate Trainee Bird . Only 250million $$$ and we can use this bird even for COINS

I think unfortinately the Chinese have moved on to L15 from JL9 and trying to actively support those programmes. I think PAF is fully committed with its full work force fulfilling orders of Mashaqs and JFT and therefors its current focus is also not on the K8. The other thing to note is whether there is a need for such improvement and what does PAC get out of the financial outlays and what is the demand for a trianer like K8. Where there has been demand we have seen investment and improvements so perhaps the cost is not worth the benefit. Is it then a case of PAF thinking of better and more scientific yet cost efficient ways of dealing with the intermediate trainer conundrum? Or are we waiting for JFT and use it as LIFT and keep K8 at current levels to teach trainee pilots good basics of flying with nonmodernized cockpit.
A

There are total of 39 k8 with 22 with no 1 sqn and 17 with academy, not sure how much life is left with t37s perhaps adding another 17 -18 to bring academy strength to 34 /35 would mean end of t37s but I think jf17 is taking precedence

There are total of 39 k8 with 22 with no 1 sqn and 17 with academy, not sure how much life is left with t37s perhaps adding another 17 -18 to bring academy strength to 34 /35 would mean end of t37s but I think jf17 is taking precedence
We recently got a bunch of Turkish T37s which will be used to refurbish the existing Tweet fleet, and so the T37 ain't going anywhere for a while.

Back
Top Bottom