What's new

Karachi Violence .. Updates & Discussion ..

PM orders operation in Karachi. MQM observes day of mourning tomorrow. Altaph Bai asks PM to resign.

Surgical operations in nine areas of Karachi

KARACHI: Sindh Information Minister Sharjeel Memon said that the Sindh Cabinet had unanimously decided to conduct targeted surgical operations in nine troubled areas of Karachi.Addressing a press briefing in Karachi following the exhaustive Sindh Cabinet meeting with the Prime Minister, Memon said that it had been decided to conduct targeted operations in nine troubled districts of Karachi.

Memon added that the Prime Minister had also held discussions with coalition partners and hoped that the operation would bear positive results. He added that the operation would take action across the board and would be free of any influence from individuals or political parties.

Allegations by the MQM

Memon deplored the allegations levelled by the Muttahida Qaumi Movement against the PPP calling them “baseless” and being “fed” from some sources. He termed the call by MQM leaders to provide protection to one segment of the society as unreasonable.

The Information Minister said that the PPP did not indulge in name calling or levelling allegations against coalition members and allied parties, neither did it believe it was its policy to indulge in extortion, forcibly collecting Zakat, Fitra and animal skins.

In response to a question, Memon said that if any member of People’s Party had called MQM a terrorist organisation then the party would take strict disciplinary action against such a member.

PPP against criminals

Memon said the PPP government had taken action against criminals including Rehman Baba and Arshad Pappu.

The Minister added that target killers who had been arrested were subject to a neutral investigation which included teams comprising members of the ISI, Military Intelligence, and other law enforcing agencies.

He added that the government and even the journalist community was aware of when and where the tradition of bodies stuffed in gunny bags started. And which where from did weapons started ar
riving in Karachi and under whose patronage.

Memon said that the PPP did not support terrorist organisations neither did it support arming its party members.

Responsible reporting

Memon urged the media to desist from reporting unsubstantiated stories. He urged them to report responsibly and after verification of facts.

Memon said that they would release videos which disclose the truth about concocted news stories.
Altaf calls for Gilani’s resignation

Responding to a question about Altaf Hussain calling for PM Gilani’s resignation, Memon said that they respected the views of the MQM chief. However he said that calls for resignation should have also come when there was an operation on the Lal Masjid and when Akbar Bugti was killed.

Earlier, it was learnt that the the Prime Minister had given his approval for a targeted operation in Karachi.

According to a statement reportedly made by Sindh Home Minister Manzoor Wassan, nine locations had been identified for a first phase of the operation to restore peace in Karachi. Wassan said that Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani had given his approval for the operation which does not involve any action from the army, The Express Tribune understands.

The Sindh Cabinet which held a meeting with the PM over the worsening law and order situation has decided to use Police and Rangers to take action against criminals across the board. Wassan said that the Prime Minister was briefed over the complex tussle between the extortionists, target killers and the land and drug mafia.

Meanwhile the government has decided not to interfere with MQM’s call for a day of mourning on Tuesday.

A press briefing is expected shortly.

MQM chief calls for Gilani’s resignation

MQM chief Altaf Hussain has called for Prime Minister Gilani to resign since he has failed to protect the people.

He said that Gilani’s government had failed to provide protection to the people of Karachi and especially the Urdu-speaking community.

Gilani chairs Sindh Cabinet meeting over Karachi

Prime Minister, directed the provincial government and the heads of law enforcement agencies to take stern and indiscriminate action against the culprits who had made the city unsafe for the people. “This is unacceptable and the culprits must be brought to justice by awarding them exemplary punishment,” he added.

The Prime Minister made it clear that the situation in the city had to be brought under control.
He urged the coalition partners and other stakeholders to jell together and extend their full support to the law enforcement agencies which were fully committed to protect the lives and properties of the citizens.

The Prime Minister said that the law enforcement agencies were fully capable of delivering effectively with the full backing of all stakeholders.

Chief Minister of Sindh Syed Qaim Ali Shah, Federal Interior Minister Rehman Malik and Minister for Religious Affairs Syed Khursheed Shah were also present in the cabinet meeting.

All i have to say if this is how a senior professional members thinks ...i am not surprised as why is every thing going wrong in our country ... sad we have professionals like you .

sorry you feel that way my man; unfortunately i dont think i can say anything to assuage your discomfort with my post.

just speakin my mind....

---------- Post added at 01:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:44 AM ----------

PM Gilani orders operation in Karachi: DawnNews | Metropolitan | DAWN.COM

KARACHI: Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani on Monday ordered an operation in Karachi considering the wave of violence in the city that has claimed numerous lives, DawnNews reported.

The decision was made in the Sindh Cabinet meeting focused on the law and order situation in Karachi, at the Governor House. The meeting was chaired by the prime minister.

“The time has come to take action in Karachi. If we don’t take action now it will be too late,” said Gilani. :-)what:)

Gilani further said that the Rangers and Police can handle the situation in Karachi, there is no need for the army.

Sindh Home Minister Manzoor Wasan said that phase one of the operation will be concentrated in nine specific areas including Lyari, Korangi, Qasba Colony, Kati Pahari, where violence has escalated.

Wasan gave orders to the Rangers and Police to take all necessary actions for the security of the people.

At least 106 people have been killed over the week as violence continues in Karachi.

sorry you feel that way my man; unfortunately i dont think i can say anything to assuage your discomfort with my post.
just speakin my mind....

so on hand you are sorry and on the other hand you don't think there you said any thing wrong ... i understand now thanks for the kind remarks

کراچی: تشدد جاری، چیف جسٹس کا نوٹِس

110821120655_karachi_1.jpg

پاکستان کے صوبہ سندھ کے دارالحکومت کراچی میں پرتشدد کارروائیوں پر چھٹے روز بھی مکمل طور پر قابو نہیں پایا جا سکا ہے اور شہر میں فائرنگ کے واقعے میں مزید چار افراد مارے گئے ہیں۔

ادھر پاکستان کی سپریم کورٹ کے چیف جسٹس افتخار محمد چوہدری نے کراچی میں امن و امان کی بگڑتی ہوئی صورتحال کا از خود نوٹس لے لیا ہے۔

کلِک

کراچی میں پرتشدد کارروائیوں کا حالیہ سلسلہ پیپلز پارٹی کے سابق رکنِ اسمبلی واجہ کریم داد کے قتل کے بعد شروع ہوا تھا اور گزشتہ پانچ دنوں کے دوران فائرنگ اور بوری میں بند لاشیں ملنے کے متعدد واقعات میں مرنے والوں کی تعداد نواسی تک پہنچ گئی ہے جن میں چار پولیس اہلکار بھی شامل ہیں۔

کراچی سے نامہ نگار ریاض سہیل کے مطابق تشدد کے تازہ واقعے میں گارڈن کے علاقے میں واٹر بورڈ کے دفتر میں فائرنگ سے چار افراد مارے گئے ہیں۔ پولیس حکام کے مطابق یہ واقعہ پیر کی صبح پیش آیا ہے اور نامعلوم مسلح افراد نے دفتر میں گھس کر فائرنگ کی ہے جس سے ایکسیئن سمیت چار ملازم ہلاک ہوئے ہیں۔

شہر کی کشیدہ صورتحال پر غور کے لیے وزیراعظم یوسف رضا گیلانی بھی کراچی پہنچے ہیں جہاں انہوں نے صوبے کے گورنر اور وزیراعلْی سے ملاقاتیں کی ہیں۔ وہ پیر کو سندھ کابینہ کے ایک خصوصی اجلاس کی صدارت بھی کریں گے۔

تاہم حکومت کی اہم اتحادی جماعت اے این پی نے اس اجلاس کا بائیکاٹ کر دیا ہے جبکہ ایم کیو ایم حکومت سے باہر ہونے کی وجہ سے پہلے ہی اس اجلاس میں شریک نہیں۔

پاکستان کے وزیرِ داخلہ رحمان ملک بھی کراچی میں موجود ہیں اور انہوں نے پیر کو رینجرز کے ڈائریکٹر جنرل سے ملاقات کی ہے۔ اس ملاقات کے بعد صحافیوں سے بات چیت کے دوران ان کا کہنا تھا کہ ’کراچی کو فوج کے حوالے کرنے کے حوالے سے پروپیگنڈا کیا جا رہا ہے‘۔

انہوں نے کہا کہ اب شہر میں کوئی نو گو ایریا نہیں ہے اور مکمل امن و امان کے لیے شہر کو اسلحہ سے پاک کرنا ضروری ہے جس کے لیے چار دن میں مہم کا آغاز ہو جائے گا۔

دریں اثناء اسلام آباد میں بی بی سی کے نامہ نگار شہزاد ملک کے مطابق سپریم کورٹ کے ترجمان کا کہنا ہے کہ چیف جسٹس نے از خود نوٹس کراچی کے حالات سے متعلق انسانی حقوق سیل میں آنے والی ایک درخواست پر لیا ہے۔

ترجمان کے مطابق چیف جسٹس نے اس سلسلے میں تمام ٹی وی چینلز کو نوٹسز جاری کیے ہیں جن میں متعلقہ حکام سے کہا گیا ہے کہ وہ کراچی کی صورت حال کی فوٹیج کے علاوہ مختلف چینلز پر ہونے والے ٹاک شوز کی ریکارڈنگ کی کاپیاں بھی سپریم کورٹ رجسٹرار آفس میں تیئیس اگست تک جمع کروائیں۔

ترجمان کے مطابق مختلف نجی چینلز سے تصاویر اور ویڈیوز ملنے کے بعد از خودنوٹس کی سماعت چوبیس اگست سے شروع ہوگی۔

that's correct...

and no problem!

Great going buddy .. You think that you know the problems well instead of millions who vote for local political parties in karachi and you are so confident this is not your confused assumption its them (voters ) whose minds are polluted lol ... this makes you sound like most of the professionals we have serving this country who serve all except for national interests..

Kingri House special: ‘No time for agar, magaar, Mash’Allah and Insha’Allah - it is time for martial law’

237366-PirPagara-1314039769-933-640x480.JPG

KARACHI: The army will not only maintain law and order in the city but will impose marital law as well, said Pakistan Muslim League-Functional (PML-F) chief Pir Pagara on Monday.
After a meeting with Awami Muslim League leader Sheikh Rashid Ahmed at Kingri House, Pagara told the media that there was no time for “Agar, magar, Mash’Allah and insha’Allah”. “It is time for martial law,” he said. “People who used to criticise me over the demand to call the army to the city will now support my point of view.” The AML chief claimed that as there was no opposition party in the country, he had come to Karachi to persuade Pagara to join him.
The PML-F chief predicted that the situation in Karachi would worsen by next month and September would prove to be the nastiest month of the year. He demanded that the capital of Pakistan should be relocated to Karachi in order to solve one problem. “The president has invited the Muttahida Qaumi Movement to rejoin the government but no one knows what the consequences could be,” he said. Ahmed claimed that the MQM and Pakistan Peoples Party had been using the Sindh and Mohajir cards but once the army took over the city they would only worry about ration cards. Speaking about PML-N chief Nawaz Sharif, he said that people did not believe him when he claimed that Sharif’s future was bleak and that he would not play an important role in politics. He commented on the suo motu notice taken by the Supreme Court of Pakistan against the recent target killings and claimed that no tangible result would be reached.
Ahmed claimed that the killings were making lives miserable. He added that the people were burying their loved ones rather than going out for Eid shopping. “The people are not seeking the chief justice’s help, they are looking towards the chief of army staff instead,” he said.
Pagara added that the Sindhi nationalists should avoid dreaming because they would not win seats in the elections.

---------- Post added at 04:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:44 AM ----------

Only the parties can solve Karachi’s law and order problems: Asma

237370-Asma-1314050508-414-640x480.jpg

KARACHI: The key to a solution of the Karachi imbroglio is not with army or police but with political parties, said the Supreme Court of Pakistan Bar Association’s (SCBAP) president, Asma Jahangir.
She was addressing a general body meeting of the Sindh High Court Bar Association (SHCBA) on Monday when at least ten other people were killed.
She expressed concern about the law and order situation in Karachi and explained that law enforcing agencies, including the Rangers and Sindh police, have completely failed. Jahangir declared that the Rangers have failed to justify their presence in Karachi and their role was now limited to encroaching on school, college and park plots.
She said that earlier on political groups were collecting extortion but in recent times the Peoples Amn Committee of the Pakistan Peoples Party had transformed in to a ‘Bhatta Committee’ to collect extortion money by terrorising the people of Karachi.
“The government is just forming committees and is not coming up with any solutions,” said Jehangir. “It seems as if the law and order situation in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and Karachi is very similar.”
She remarked that the judiciary was not living up to her expectations, and demanded that judges be appointed on merit in the superior as well as the subordinate judiciary.
The SHCBA’s president, Anwar Mansoor Khan, said that the SCBAP did not help the bar associations of Sindh when they were facing problems. In response to this, Jehangir promised her cooperation in the future.
This was her first address to the SHCBA since she was elected SCBAP president in December 2010.

---------- Post added at 04:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:46 AM ----------

Constitutional petition: SHC asked to order army intervention

KARACHI: A constitutional petition seeking limited army intervention to restore the law and order situation in the city will be heard by the Sindh High Court on Tuesday. The petition was filed by the United Human Rights Commission Pakistan secretary general Rana Faz-ul Hasan on Monday. The court was asked to call the army in for three months under Article 245 of the Constitution.
Published in The Express Tribune, August 23rd, 2011.

Kindly clarify; does the term "bhatti" imply some sort of extortion and the term "Jamati" mean a landlord?Thanks in advance.

Great going buddy .. You think that you know the problems well instead of millions who vote for local political parties in karachi and you are so confident this is not your confused assumption its them (voters ) whose minds are polluted lol .

not quite....you'd best served reviewing the posts i made in the past 6-7 pages. I think it would clear out some confusions.

as for the pollution comment, well it appears you took it a bit too 'literally'.....again, sorry you feel 'disenfranshised' from my post. Wish i could help!

this makes you sound like most of the professionals we have serving this country who serve all except for national interests..

nah, i tend to look at politicians in Pakistan as paragons of locustry

again, i would advise you to review my posts carefully --in a clear-headed manner.

8-23-2011_153586_1.gif

---------- Post added at 07:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:54 AM ----------

8-23-2011_153582_1.gif

Body Count: With 13 more deaths, six-day toll crosses 100

237571-rangers_security_violence_target_killingPHOTOMOHAMMADNOMAN-1314061180-380-640x480.jpg

KARACHI:
Not for the first time, the violence continued in defiance of high-profile visits and high-level meetings on law and order.
And not for the first time this year, the death toll from under a week of violence crossed 100.
Thirteen people were killed in Karachi on Monday, including four employees of the city’s water board, taking the six-day toll to 105.
This latest spate of violence was set off on Wednesday last week, when the bodies of five Baloch men were found in different parts of the city. On that first day (Wednesday), a former member of the National Assembly from the Pakistan Peoples Party, Waja Karim Dad, was among 13 killed. Another 31 were killed the following day, 27 on Friday, 10 on Saturday, 11 on Sunday and 13 on Monday.
Over the six days of bloodshed, the police have thus far arrested a grand total of six people – all of them in connection with the attack on a police bus in Chakra Goth on Friday. Police officials claim another ten people have been arrested on charges of extortion over the past week.
Sources within the police, however, claim that many more people had in fact been arrested but were then released under political pressure after settlements were agreed upon amongst parties.
The violence on Monday, meanwhile, seemed to contain several elements of what the police refer to as ‘opportunistic’ killings: where people take advantage of the violence in the city to conduct killings that have nothing to do with the broader political and ethnic tension.
The most brazen attack was on a bill collection office of the Karachi Water and Sewerage Board (KWSB) near the Karachi Zoo, where four employees were killed in a drive-by shooting.
The attacks on Monday were made extraordinary by the fact that the police and Rangers had established pickets and checkpoints throughout Karachi in order to prevent the outbreak of sectarian violence on the occasion of Youm-e-Ali, the anniversary of the martyrdom of the fourth caliph, Hazrat Ali (RA), which is marked by many Shias holding processions in the streets.
(Read: Nation marks Youm-e-Ali amidst tight security)
“There were police as well as Rangers pickets there, but the criminals, like always, were better prepared,” admitted Shaukat Ali Shah, a deputy inspector general (DIG) of the Karachi police.
KWSB is the second government department to be attacked in the current wave of violence. Earlier in the week, some people attacked a fire station in the Lyari neighbourhood of Karachi. Many of the employees in these government organisations are political appointees.
Separately, a bullet-riddled body of the 18-year-old nephew of a former Muttahida Qaumi Movement member of the Sindh Assembly was found in the Gulshan-e-Iqbal area of the city. Police identified the young man as Mehtab, whose uncle, Muhammad Hussain, was a member of the MQM. The boy himself is reported to have been a member of the All Pakistan Muttahida Students Organisation (APMSO).
Eight more people were killed in other parts of the city, including three in Jamshed Quarters. The others were killed in Sharafi
Goth, Korangi, Soldier Bazaar and Jackson.

Hazrat pukhtoon plz re-watch and let me know where was it said these people belonged to MQM ?
Not surprised. Only a delusional, brain washed, full of **** and idol (Altaf) worshiper like you can give such a response when everyone in Karachi knows these guys belong to MQM. May be I shall refresh your memory by telling some more names like Aftab Commando, Ali Mota, Naeem Shari e.t.c. that were active in 1994-1995.

Excellent analysis by Najam Sethi. He tore apart both MQM and PPP and especially MQM and described their role in current situation. Of course I don't expect MQM idol worshipers to accept it as they are "doodh kay dhulay hoay"

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom