What's new

Karachi students design the country’s first microprocessor

OK I will leave you to your happy dreams.

Don’t take it the wrong way. You can make a separate thread “why doing RISC V et el is not innovative” on it and people interested can discuss there. It’s just not right to turn every thread into a clone of the previous discussion.

Not an electronic engineer but designed a processor and OS 😂😂😂. These indians are real delusional morons. Its like saying i dont know abc but i have better poetry than Shakespeare.

Its doesn't means he knows all things, why he always treated others that others knows nothing about IT ÀND IC fabrication technologies ànd terminologies?

Simply because the claims by Jamahir are ridiculous. You cannot design OS and chips without whole teams of very skilled and educated engineers as basic minimum.

The talk about ISA like RISC the way he does and treating the development of custom ISA for chip designs. Why? Because this decision is very commercially based along with concerns for compatibility and what your chips are for.

Basically what he is saying is equal to I am developing my own fusion reactor even though I do not understand fundamental forces because I am not a trained physicist. Then goes on to say that other projects which use cheap and available permanent magnets (or something equally common and standard procedure) is lower and lesser effort projects because they use magnets which are old technology. He thinks it is more important to develop a complex and needlessly custom electromagnet just to seem cool and the whole purpose becomes the magnet rather than the energy being produced.

It loses sight of what is actual importance and what is trivial matters. What he can be called right on is ISA is highly important but it is like saying the mathematical language we use for deriving the goal of producing a satellite is more important than the satellite itself. And you must always develop a new mathematical language everytime you have one of these projects. The mathematical language is of course very important but it is really in a different way also a trivial matter.

Like I said, Japanese Taiwanese and Korean developers also use established ISA for their product ranges if they want certain compatibility and ability for modular use and commercial success.

if it doesnt have circuit that contains microscopic wires attached to a cow dung aka the main processor then its useless like tejas.

This project was the brainchild of Late Dr. Zahir Ali Syed (director UIT) who was killed in a suspected robbery attempt on 11th June. He wanted to bring in the best that he can.

This is my Alma Mater and lately projects are focusing on what can be done with limited and available resources, loss of Dr. Zahir was a huge blow.

Who is Dr Zahir Ali Syed?

He got a PhD degree from the University of Southern California/Stanford University and a MS degree from MIT, both in Electrical Engineering. Published a number of papers, obtained a Bachelor of Engineering degree in Electronics from Karachi University. Was the top student of Karachi University for 1974 and was awarded the Dawood Gold medal and the Quaid-e-Azam Scholarship to do PhD. in USA.

He had over 30 years of professional experience in senior management positions in a number of sectors that included Education, IT, Social, Entrepreneurship and Innovation. He had experience of running and teaching in a Degree Awarding Institute, Development of Strategy, Plans and Policies; Drafting Legal Contracts; in Designing and Conducting Business Plan Competitions, Designing and Implementing IT Solutions, Process Improvement, Project Management, Quality Assurance and Software Development.

He was serving as Director Usman Institute of Technology (UIT), a premier higher education institute imparting Electrical Engineering and Computer Science education and Co-Chair of MIT Enterprise Forum Pakistan that is working to promote entrepreneurship in Pakistan

Previously, he was the CEO of Cambridge Advisors Network (CAN), an Entrepreneurship and Business Advisory firm, and Executive Director of The i-Care Foundation which is Pakistan’s first, donor advised philanthropic fund. He was Director of the Karachi Institute of Information Technology (KIIT) which was a degree awarding institute, he was also involved in various capacities at a number of leading Universities of Pakistan. Was Director of National ICT R&D Fund, established Avanza Solutions Pakistan and also helped establish the ABM Group of companies. Dr Zahir was a consultant at LSI Logic Corporation USA.
This was such a colossal loss.

I am not undermining RISC-V, let it have its fan base, but am talking about such things as this :
Indigenous 32-bit RISC-V microprocessor developed by C-DAC.
"Indigenous" and the next to next word is "RISC-V", LOL.

What do these computer "scientists" have to show from their years of college time with taking 95 / 100 marks in exams, then the PhD "research" years and then years of "professional experience" if they have to be intellectually dishonest by claiming that it is they who developed a RISC-V implementation ? Why can't these "senior scientists" in India and Pakistan ever develop actually locally-designed microprocessor, OS and storage system given that there is no dearth in these places of computer institutes, engineering colleges, material scientists and so on ? C-DAC is an old organization yet there is no real achievement from it. And this too from your link :
2022-04-12-045756_1024x768_scrot.png

C-DAC is just putting out buzzwords like "Out-of-order". I don't know what is "Out-of-order" and don't care and it is not needed. And C-DAC despite being a government organization with many resources is so incompetent that it is inviting collaborators, from private industry mostly, to help C-DAC bring out the RISC-V implementation. And to point to the incompetent professional computer "scientists" of South Asia here is a news from 2010 :
The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) is working on creating a futuristic computing system, including India's own operating system, said V.K. Saraswat, Scientific Adviser to the Defence Minister and DRDO Director-General.

Talking to journalists after inaugurating the DRDO Transit Facility here on Saturday, Dr. Saraswat said: “We do not have our own operating system. Today, various bodies, including banks and defence establishments, need security. Having our own operating system will help us prevent hacking of our systems.”

Two software engineering centres are being set up for this purpose in Bangalore and New Delhi. “To start with, we will have 25 scientists at each of these centres. We are in touch with institutes such as the Indian Institute of Science, Indian Institute of Technology Madras and the Centre for Development of Telematics, besides universities and industries. We will use available talent.” Citing security reasons, he refused to provide details of organisations involved in the project.

The new operating system would also have commercial use, he said and added: “With a home-grown system, the source code will be with us and it helps in securing our systems,” he said. Asked about the money involved for the project and the timeframe, Dr. Saraswat said it was fairly a costly affair, without elaborating on the timeframe.
So, 12 years later now what became of this project ?

In South Asia the thinking is conventional. Elsewhere, people think in different ways :

When will South Asia bring out a technology, say a microprocessor, that others will use ?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom