What's new

Karachi students design the country’s first microprocessor

asynchronous means clock-less?

Did you even bother to read the quoted Wiki section and the rest of the page ?

stop quoting me further on any technology-related threads, I have enough of Indian Vedic science class today and I don't want to spoil my fast.

You are arrogant and ignorant. Goodbye forever.

Did you even bother to read the quoted Wiki section and the rest of the page ?

You are arrogant and ignorant. Goodbye forever.
Dear You are in his Field. Calling him ignorant is extremely rich coming from you.

I am not an expert physicist with formal training in nuclear physics but I read a lot of wikipedia and internet level information on field of fusion. I'm trying to build my own working fusion reactor because I think the experiments being down by the real professionals with billions of dollars of funding and megatons of facilities over thousands of square kilometers of land are too stupid because they can't think outside the box like I can.

This is Jamahir with respect to existing ISA designs being used. There is much more to designing chips than ISA only. That's like crediting Olympic sprinter's performance based on the brand of his shoes.

China's chips designs are excellent. Kirin had 7nm and below chip designs which TSMC is banned from fabricating after pressure from USA. Yes so far all use RISC or X86 or MIPS but this is one element and there is no point to reinvent this architecture. It is akin to language but the end product is the poetry let's say. Shakespeare can use A,B,C and so on but it is still his work. If design and development is so easy, how come only China US and a very select few have designed AI optimized chips or 5nm chips (design not fab) or chips for certain tasks like 5G dedicated chips and so on?

One way to deal with fabrication bottleneck on technology is stacking and multilayering. Some Chinese solutions on wafer bonding also deals with transistor number performance on same area of space.

For designing new ISA, there is no point until existing forms meet certain limitations. Right now they are all efficient for the task. Just like using English to communicate here is efficient for the task of this forum which is to provide a place of discussion.

Is it wise to have all of us invent our own version of communication on this forum and then also re-design our keyboards then somehow still communicate? Of course not. This doesn't mean we each cannot invent some code which we ascribe meaning to but no one else will be using.

And "cheap Chinese crap" in chips is laughable. In design, everyone uses existing ISA including South Korea and Japan.

Chinese chips design is pretty world leading. Pakistan would be incredible if it were able to design chips to the same level.

Last edited:
This project was the brainchild of Late Dr. Zahir Ali Syed (director UIT) who was killed in a suspected robbery attempt on 11th June. He wanted to bring in the best that he can.

This is my Alma Mater and lately projects are focusing on what can be done with limited and available resources, loss of Dr. Zahir was a huge blow.

Who is Dr Zahir Ali Syed?

He got a PhD degree from the University of Southern California/Stanford University and a MS degree from MIT, both in Electrical Engineering. Published a number of papers, obtained a Bachelor of Engineering degree in Electronics from Karachi University. Was the top student of Karachi University for 1974 and was awarded the Dawood Gold medal and the Quaid-e-Azam Scholarship to do PhD. in USA.

He had over 30 years of professional experience in senior management positions in a number of sectors that included Education, IT, Social, Entrepreneurship and Innovation. He had experience of running and teaching in a Degree Awarding Institute, Development of Strategy, Plans and Policies; Drafting Legal Contracts; in Designing and Conducting Business Plan Competitions, Designing and Implementing IT Solutions, Process Improvement, Project Management, Quality Assurance and Software Development.

He was serving as Director Usman Institute of Technology (UIT), a premier higher education institute imparting Electrical Engineering and Computer Science education and Co-Chair of MIT Enterprise Forum Pakistan that is working to promote entrepreneurship in Pakistan

Previously, he was the CEO of Cambridge Advisors Network (CAN), an Entrepreneurship and Business Advisory firm, and Executive Director of The i-Care Foundation which is Pakistan’s first, donor advised philanthropic fund. He was Director of the Karachi Institute of Information Technology (KIIT) which was a degree awarding institute, he was also involved in various capacities at a number of leading Universities of Pakistan. Was Director of National ICT R&D Fund, established Avanza Solutions Pakistan and also helped establish the ABM Group of companies. Dr Zahir was a consultant at LSI Logic Corporation USA.

Regarding West, you would deny but the classified information is that US, UK and Denmark are hostile countries that create problems for India.

How ?

After all you (Indian Muslims) claim to have superior intelligence. British numbered only few lakhs yet they ruled entire subcontinent. And here Indian Muslims number at least 15 crores.

- PRTP GWD

How about Tipu Sultan ?

and naxal affected states?

What are "Naxal affected states" ? Are the Naxals
malaria parasites or dengue viruses that can affect a region ?

Dear You are in his Field. Calling him ignorant is extremely rich coming from you.

But he didn't even open the Wikipedia page I linked. And why would I, a rational Muslim Communist, preach "ancient Vedic scientific marvels" like he claimed I was doing ? He was clearly rude.

I am not an expert physicist with formal training in nuclear physics but I read a lot of wikipedia and internet level information on field of fusion.

Just to answer your argument Wikipedia can be a good reference for many things if one knows how to read it. For example to expose Chinese lies about design of indigenous processor ( LoongArch ) and indigenous operating system ( Harmony OS / Harmony OS 2 ). So don't be dismissive.

I'm trying to build my own working fusion reactor because I think the experiments being down by the real professionals with billions of dollars of funding and megatons of facilities over thousands of square kilometers of land are too stupid because they can't think outside the box like I can.

Did you watch the vid I linked to you about the American space rocket development company Relativity Space which is using 3D Printing to develop the body and a lot of the engine components ? They are thinking outside the box and are going against established, billion-dollar-investing, megatons-of-facilities-having and filled-with-professionals organizations like Boeing and indeed the Chinese National Space Agency. So don't be sarcastic but think more.

China's chips designs are excellent.

Please, let us call them as China's implementations, not designs. Let us not perpetuate intellectual inaccuracies.

Kirin had 7nm and below chip designs which TSMC is banned from fabricating after pressure from USA.

First there were the GHz wars and now the <5 nm wars. About the GHz things, my argument is instead of claiming to develop increasing GHz-clocked processors why not just go clock-less ? Simple. Clock-less will be going back to basics and the original point.

Yes so far all use RISC or X86 or MIPS but this is one element and there is no point to reinvent this architecture.

But why not ? Are those great grand Tsinghua University PhDs not interested ? Or is it something else ?

If design and development is so easy, how come only China US and a very select few have designed AI optimized chips

So many companies are coming up with AI and machine learning. AI seems to be becoming as common as building cars.

or chips for certain tasks like 5G dedicated chips and so on?

Before we talk of 5G and 6G let us consider if instead of continuing the idea of the cell phone why not just miniaturize and make wearable the general purpose computer from which we can make voice calls, vid calls, do emails and post on PDF ? The communication can be made possible via WiFi.

One way to deal with fabrication bottleneck on technology is stacking and multilayering. Some Chinese solutions on wafer bonding also deals with transistor number performance on same area of space.

Maybe stacking of too much regular transistors can bring in problems like being more vulnerable to radiation and heating though I am not an expert on this.

For designing new ISA, there is no point until existing forms meet certain limitations. Right now they are all efficient for the task. Just like using English to communicate here is efficient for the task of this forum which is to provide a place of discussion.

Like what limitations ?

Last edited:
How ?

How about Tipu Sultan ?

What are "Naxal affected states" ? Are the Naxals
malaria parasites or dengue viruses that can affect a region ?

But he didn't even open the Wikipedia page I linked. And why would I, a rational Muslim Communist, preach "ancient Vedic scientific marvels" like he claimed I was doing ? He was clearly rude.

Just to answer your argument Wikipedia can be a good reference for many things if one knows how to read it. For example to expose Chinese lies about design of indigenous processor ( LoongArch ) and indigenous operating system ( Harmony OS / Harmony OS 2 ). So don't be dismissive.

Did you watch the vid I linked to you about the American space rocket development company Relativity Space which is using 3D Printing to develop the body and a lot of the engine components ? They are thinking outside the box and are going against established, billion-dollar-investing, megatons-of-facilities-having and filled-with-professionals organizations like Boeing and indeed the Chinese National Space Agency. So don't be sarcastic but think more.

Please, let us call them as China's implementations, not designs. Let us not perpetuate intellectual inaccuracies.

First there were the GHz wars and now the <5 nm wars. About the GHz things, my argument is instead of claiming to develop increasing GHz-clocked processors why not just go clock-less ? Simple. Clock-less will be going back to basics and the original point.

But why not ? Are those great grand Tsinghua University PhDs not interested ? Or is it something else ?

So many companies are coming up with AI and machine learning. AI seems to be becoming as common as building cars.

Before we talk of 5G and 6G let us consider if instead of continuing the idea of the cell phone why not just miniaturize and make wearable the general purpose computer from which we can make voice calls, vid calls, do emails and post on PDF ? The communication can be made possible via WiFi.

Maybe stacking of too much regular transistors can bring in problems like being more vulnerable to radiation and heating though I am not an expert on this.

Like what limitations ?

This is the same stuff we've talked about elsewhere and you have said the same point of view in this thread so I'm just raising the things that should be noted for people who may not understand this field at all.

You will not see China or India or Japan or Korea or anyone else invent a totally new ISA until many, many, many years later when the existing ones become less effective at dealing with various design engineering problems or performance limits. Maybe when silicon replacement basis chip technologies become more mainstream until then.

Never argue with idiots.jpeg

Did you read my link about the NASA research and prototype of bringing back though miniaturizing the old vacuum tube computer technique ? The technique gives the computer more protection against radiation effects. The silicon basis of such a transistor will remain but it will be enhanced via this technique.

That charlatan guru you are quoting - "Sadhguru" Jaggi Vasudev - is as idiotic as you are being here. Good day.
Bro stop derailing each and every thread about processors. You can make a separate thread and share your thoughts on it. Literally every thread on the subject gets derailed.

Bro stop derailing each and every thread about processors. You can make a separate thread and share your thoughts on it. Literally every thread on the subject gets derailed.

Isn't the OP of this very thread about processors ? I was just explaining that the news about this development in Pakistan is not that innovative. That is all.

Isn't the OP of this very thread about processors ? I was just explaining that the news about this development in Pakistan is not that innovative. That is all.
Yes. But stop repeating the same thing in all processor/semi conductor thread on the forum. It has been discussed people don’t agree, let’s leave it at that.

Don’t see the need to invade literally every thread on the subject and repeat the same thing over and over and derailing all of them…

Yes. But stop repeating the same thing in all processor/semi conductor thread on the forum. It has been discussed people don’t agree, let’s leave it at that.

Don’t see the need to invade literally every thread on the subject and repeat the same thing over and over and derailing all of them…

OK I will leave you to your happy dreams. This is my last post on this thread.

Back
Top Bottom