What's new

Karachi: Asia's biggest food and entertainment resort opening next month

It's 13 acres. 1 Hectare = 2.47 acres.

It's a food court plus shopping mall area plus theater plus some rides area. The food court is focused in a circular area.

@ mogambo

you are a genius Sir,

comparing Food resort to Shopping mall?

Mantrisquarefront.jpg

What else can i say to you? - amazing - super amazing

PS: I just want to say something in your respect "next time think before you speak"

just refer to sparklingway's above post it clearly says that "It's a food court plus shopping mall area plus theater plus some rides area"

and the same is the mall i have posted.

Its the mistake of Pakistani media if they are not using proper words and calling Karachi project with silly names.

next time think before posting.

@ Zaki

Ask any educated person what to call a place with

food area

shopping area

theater

games zone

parking etc.

all in a single unit you will get the answer = shopping mall.

just refer to sparklingway's above post it clearly says that "It's a food court plus shopping mall area plus theater plus some rides area"

and the same is the mall i have posted.

Its the mistake of Pakistani media if they are not using proper words and calling Karachi project with silly names.

next time think before posting.

Bhai meray understand the difference between Food court and Shoppoing mall

port-ground.jpg

img6746rs.jpg

Compare this with local shopping centres in Pakistan i.e. Pace, Siddique centre etc.

Bhai meray understand the difference between Food court and Shoppoing mall

port-ground.jpg

img6746rs.jpg

Compare this with local shopping centres in Pakistan i.e. Pace, Siddique centre etc.

Yaar don't talk like a kid.

Tell me which food court has shooping area, games zone, movie theater and parking.

All over the world it is called shopping mall.

If its a pure food court only then you can't have shopping area, games zone and movie hall.

Ur media is twisting facts to claim it something big.

And the picture you have posted is of Ambience Mall kerala we have 100s of mall better then that just google it.

Also, we are talking about karachi not being biggest.

guys ,guys..lets cool down a bit.Asia's biggest or not,I personally don't care..One thing for sure...Those cooks from Karachi surely know how to cook!!!Had the opportunity to taste their cooking once...I just have a desire to taste that Biryani once more in the land where it originates...Those guys are nothing less of an artist....Btw,I am a real foodie!!:yahoo::yahoo:

Zaki please check project details. It's not just a food court. As I stated there are rides, a shopping mall, a supermarket and a theatre within the premises as well. You posted the picture of the rotary food court only. The project extends along the length of the Native Jetty Bridge.

This is not Gawalmindi in Lahore.

Both of you stop this nonsense.

You guys forced me to draw this:-
zzzo.png

The red highlighted area is the rotary food court and the blue areas are the areas outside the food court but part of the "resort" (also note that it extends under the bridge which I did not highlight so as to avoid confusion and the parking is to the east and part of the complex). However, the long stretch along the bridge does have a couple of high end restaurants since they would have been "incompatible" with the "lower end" food outlets. Lower end of course is subjective here.

PS: I have my reservations over the "biggest" labels.

This is a wonderful development and more should be built throughout the country and een within Karachi itself, Im sure its going to do well and Im glad they put an admission charge. I personally look forward to visiting it soon. Is it fully operational?

This looks AWESOME. There is nothing like a meal next to the water, I really wish we in India had something like this.....Mumbai needs a place like this. It is going to do really well, I'm sure.

One question for my Pakistani friends, don't mind as I really don't know. Will there be places here where I can sit down and have a beer with my meal? Is it cool to- you know, have a drink with your meal or is that a problem because I know alcohol is Haram for Muslims?

Mumbai needs a place like this.

Karachi creates land from sea by reclaiming land. I am sure that Chinna Creek south of Native Jetty Bridge will be reclaimed for new downtown of Karachi in the future. May be Mumbai can reclaim land from sea too.

Will there be places here where I can sit down and have a beer with my meal? Is it cool to- you know, have a drink with your meal or is that a problem because I know alcohol is Haram for Muslims?

AFAIK, you can drink in bars or private homes but not in this Food street.

Last edited:
One question for my Pakistani friends, don't mind as I really don't know. Will there be places here where I can sit down and have a beer with my meal? Is it cool to- you know, have a drink with your meal or is that a problem because I know alcohol is Haram for Muslims?

There are many places in Karachi where you can sit down and enjoy alchohol, I am sure you will be able to do it here too. Just wink and nod, you just might get something. :lol:

Alchochol was legal until that Zia put the country under Islamization process and banned everything. :angry:

I do not drink but I do not think that making it illegal achieved anything substantial. All of the alchohol is brought in through bootlegging and is not taxed, furthermore many get poisoned when they make their own or get theirs from dubious sources.

Btw if you ever come to Pakistan, visit Beach Luxury. though the hotel is old. It has an excellent atmosphere, there is something about its location that is really relaxing.

Read what someone from Chicago wrote about it.

Well i did not stay in hotel. but i was there to eat. it is such a beautiful place, there is a lake view which makes the places look so romantic, and its little far from the mein city so thats why its very peaceful there. It is definetly a good place for a couple to go.. there something in that place which makes it loooookkk so different and...lovely.

Catering to the entertainment-starved

KARACHI: Located on what was originally the Native Jetty Bridge (Netti Jetti Pull), the Port Grand project promises to change the way in which the people of Karachi spend their leisure hours.

They will not only have a food street that rivals the best in other cities of the world, but will in itself be one mega food and entertainment complex, providing Karachiites with a place to unwind, away from the stress and chaos of the city.

Despite all that it promises to offer, the Port Grand project of the Grand Leisure Corporation has both a strange sense of location as well as timing. At a time when many city ventures have either been shut or postponed due to the recession affecting real estate and the economy, the fact that millions are being poured into this venture is puzzling.

As for the site, which is historical in many respects, may not be the right choice to set up a food street owing to the noise pollution by large trucks and trailers that make their way overhead from the port. Also nearby is the Napier Mole Bridge where hundreds of people assemble every evening to feed the birds and the fish.

But Shahid Firoz, the man behind the project, says that once people enter into the calm environs of Port Grand, all else “will soon be forgotten.” Firoz says that he is confident that people from all over the city will flock here to enjoy the atmosphere he and his team have tried to create.

There are many who argue this is an elitist project. But then, ask others, why has Karachi been deprived of such projects in the past, given that most cities around the world also have such places for entertainment and leisure?

The plans are very positive. The project that initially started as a small undertaking in 2005 is now in its final stages and has multiple attractions for the entertainment-starved population of the city. “We see crying faces all over because the state has not given them a reason to laugh,” comments Firoz, adding that Port Grand is one destination that will provide entertainment to the masses as well as inform them of the historical and cultural heritage of the city. Visitors would be charged an entry fee of Rs200.

Elaborating on the main attractions of Port Grand, Firoz mentioned the Temple Point, a monument made to accentuate the historical significance of the 150-year-old Hindu Temple that lies beyond followed by The Galleria, which is a shopping point. A supermarket will also be housed within the port.

However, the true nature of the entertainment spot comes to action as one proceeds towards the 1,400-feet long Native Jetty Bridge where the Mermaid’s Place is located. This is the food street that has local as well as international chains of restaurants displaying a variety of cuisine from your local Dahi Baras and chaats, Paan and Gola Ganda to the Café Aylanto and noodle bars.

Next in line is The Promenade, a tram ride bordering the Mermaid’s Place that will link the port grandeur to the festive mood of dining. At the end lies a theatre to make the journey all the more worthwhile.

The Napier’s Tavern is another dining lodge for the corporate of the city that will offer a spectacular view of the Karachi harbour. What further makes the lodge unique is its architecture, the stone and wood used for the interior is similar to the centuries-old bridge to retain the essence of the port.

There is also the Art Lane that provides young artists with an opportunity to display their talent and love for art. The lane connects the overhead bridge to the park where live portraits would be displayed. Facing the village is The Decks that will also provide a stage for amateur talents.

Another exclusive feature of the whole experience is the boat ride that offers an exquisite view of the Mangroves surrounding the port. “Our country has the world’s largest area of arid climate mangroves and yet our children were unaware of their significance and existence; this boat tour will teach them all,” promises Firoz.

Catering to the entertainment-starved – The Express Tribune

Karachi creates land from sea by reclaiming land. I am sure that Chinna Creek south of Native Jetty Bridge will be reclaimed for new downtown of Karachi in the future. May be Mumbai can reclaim land from sea too.

HA HA HA For your information, entire mumbai is a reclaimed land.

HA HA HA For your information, entire mumbai is a reclaimed land.

I did not know that. Karachi is surrounded by desert and low hills on three sides and sea on the other side. Karachi still has hundred of kilometers of land to expand its suburbs. Parts of downtown and area along the sea are mostly owned by the military through the Cantonment Boards. These Cantonment Boards are the driving force to reclaim land from sea, build infrastructure and then sell it to retired and serving military personnel who resell with high profits to private citizens. Another way to subsidize the armed forces. The new reclaimed land in Defense Housing Authority Phase VIII is nearly 20% of current area of Karachi. In future Chinna Creek and Boat Basin will also be reclaimed.

Chinna Creek karachi - Google Maps

Karachi have 18 town, 1 town, Gadap town is biggest of all, and its nearly half of the city, and its 80% percent vacant, area of gadap town is more then 2000km.sq and its population is not more than one million.

karachimap1.gif

Back
Top Bottom