What's new

kalu_miah's new world order, a road map for the future

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think and hope than India and China can take a lead in creating a more just world order.

We are both ancient civilizations that can counter the supremacist/absolutist ideas coming from some parts of the world.

I hope that these some parts of the world include both China and India. But I will not wager against it, so I will continue promoting the cause of people in the smaller states to unite in unions, to create their own indigenous strength so they can ensure a truely balanced multi polar world in the future.

The only union of the magnitude you are proposing that's working is the EU...and it took 2 hot and 1 cold war.....and it is functioning barely.....now imagine you people doing the same in the proposed timeframe. See?
Additionally i can link some of the posts from the thread i just visited-its about a fictional war between China and India. it's little kids compensating for small dicks, granted- but it shows the mentality pretty well. Cheers with that union of asian states.

Also, someone linked Friedman's book "The next 100 years" as some sort of argument?
He is assuming everything, he works in the prediction market, by definition his words are to be taken with a few pinches of salt.

Also, someone linked Friedman's book "The next 100 years" as some sort of argument?
He is assuming everything, he works in the prediction market, by definition his words are to be taken with a few pinches of salt.

I discounted his future predictions.

I think his analysis of the current and past happenings in Iraq and Afghanistan make a lot of sense.

The only union of the magnitude you are proposing that's working is the EU...and it took 2 hot and 1 cold war.....and it is functioning barely.....now imagine you people doing the same in the proposed timeframe. See?
Additionally i can link some of the posts from the thread i just visited-its about a fictional war between China and India. it's little kids compensating for small dicks, granted- but it shows the mentality pretty well. Cheers with that union of asian states.

I am hoping that people can learn the trick of making unions without repeating those costly mistakes of hot and cold wars.

I feel that the main problem with EU has been introducing Euro as the common currency too soon, before having sufficient political consolidation between Eurozone member states. So Germany has become a beneficiary of this fiasco, while the states with lower efficiency suffered. Now the EU leadership is making monetary consolidation in a piece meal basis, to correct this fundamental mistake. So far they have avoided any mishaps and I have my fingers crossed that any untoward incident like a break up, with lets say Greece getting out of Eurozone and bringing their old currency back, will not happen.

These practical experiences will be valuable for future unions following the path of integration.

About the union ASEAN+3, the initiative has to come from Japan and S Korea, while the rest of the ASEAN+Bangladesh follow their leadership. Japanese have had the same dream in their Imperial Japan period and I don't see why they would not want to see it happen again. Japan, Korea, Vietnam or Burma will never want a union with India, even though they may use India as a balancer against a rising China in the short term, for the simple reason, India would dominate such an union and I would think none of these states want to be dominated in any arrangement under Indians or under anyone else for that matter. But in an ASEAN+3, Japan and S Korea, once they resolve their differences, can cooperate in a leadership structure, which will be easily accepted by ASEAN+Bangladesh. Koreans have no history of bad memory from any imperial misadventures in the region and they are very popular with K-pops and K-drama's, so they can be a good intermediate manager and a right hand for the Japanese. With close to a billion people, it is possible that this union of states will be able to match or surpass the power of a rising China or India, when that happens.

The trick for all future union of states will be to democratize, occupy movement style, starting with organizing their civil societies. And once the people are empowered, I am hoping that people will be able to decide collectively on the best course for their own future.

It's not so much about the euro, but more with some members not telling the entire truth about their financial condition prior to entering the eurozone. + the overall crisis doesn't help much.

Greece is supposed to be out of recession by 2014.
They will still be broke ofcourse, but at least their debt to GDP ratio will be dropping.

Greece’s economy to exit recession only by 2014

The future status of Sri Lanka might be an interesting question to ponder upon. Its physical proximity to India and smaller size will make it difficult for it choose a union with an entity other than India, as the Buddhist majority Sinhalese population may not want to be in a Union with a Hindu nationalist India, so it may remain neutral and keep a balance of influence from many different powers from near and far, as long as there remains an aggressive Hindu nationalist meme prevalent in India and its ruling structure.

(copied from a post in another thread as it is relevant in this thread)
http://www.defence.pk/forums/world-...o-military-alliance-policy-3.html#post2748559

Koreans have no history of bad memory from any imperial misadventures in the region .........a right hand for the Japanese.

Original Posted by Kalu-miah

I believe you have to go back to school again on Korean history and have an understanding on the relationship between Korea and Japan. While the Korea's hatred for China is superficial but for Japan is very very deep.

India forming an union with the rest of the countries in south asia is fine as long as BD and Pak are NOT included in that.

We are better off without them.

Dnt know bt BD but PAK will crappp on the map (union with india)

Koreans have no history of bad memory from any imperial misadventures in the region .........a right hand for the Japanese.

Original Posted by Kalu-miah

I believe you have to go back to school again on Korean history and have an understanding on the relationship between Korea and Japan. While the Korea's hatred for China is superficial but for Japan is very very deep.

Japan was forced open from its isolation by Admiral Perry:
Perry Expedition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Since Japan was one of the few countries in Eurasia that escaped Mongol invasion (Western Europe was the other), it was one of these lucky few societies that was able to preserve its historical continuity unmolested from external forces and rule. So as soon as it opened up to the West, it was able to quickly adapt in the Meiji Restoration period and become an industrial powerhouse similar to contemporary European powers. Soon it went on to create its own empire following the example of Great Britain in East and South East Asia:
Meiji period - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Empire of Japan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
As a string of islands near Northeast coast of Asian land mass, Japan has a unique history. It has its aboriginal people such as Ainu and large number of early migrants from Northeast Asians who gave rise to Yayoi, Kofun, Asuka cultures that brought farming techniques, horse-riding, pottery, buddhism among other things. The Yamato people who are the main ethnic group in Japan is a fusion of these early migrants and local indigenous people. For the last two thousand years it had trade, immigration and cultural relations with Northeast Asia, but it was never successfully subjugated by any invasion from the Mainland of North east Asia. As a result, this population group had the oppurtunity to develop a social system of its own that was not subject to any hostile force from the outside. Japan also understood the value of this isolation and guarded its isolation with great success. So when Admiral Perry of US Navy opened up Japan to trade in 1870's for the rest of the world, Japanese society and its ruling class were ready to take on the challenge of integrating with the world. In Meiji restoration period, Japan emerged in a few decades as an industrial power and after WW I, as an Asian hegemon, with colonial holdings in Korea, Machukuo and China. By WW II, it was a world power taking over East and South East Asian countries with the professed goal of eliminating European domination of Asia and liberating Asian people. Unfortunately it miscalculated the power of the US, went to open war with the US and paid a heavy price as a result. However, after WW II, it did not lie down for long, it came back up quickly and still is one of most advanced economies of the world.

Joseon dynasty of Korea on the other hand could not follow this Japanese style dynamism in their leadership, and open up since 1860's. It remained a traditional feudal society and weak as a result, so it easily fell under an aggressive and powerful Imperial Japan.

What happened during the 35 years of Japanese rule of Korea (1910-1945) is regrettable. But if we look at the bigger and longer time scale picture, what the US/West or white man collectively did for Korea is not much better:

* they introduced Christianity which is about 30% of the population today
* they introduced communism (Marx)
* the Russians and the US/Allies broke the country into two parts

So, although a lot of people understand the pragmatic reality of having the US bases there as a counter-balance for the Chinese threat, showing up in the form of Kim dynasty, north of the 38th parallel, there are a lot who do not have a great love for the great white man, in fact, considering the stupidity the white man has shown in handing the Chinese their rise in a platter, at least the Koreans consider the White man as an inferior and stupid race of people. I can imagine that the feeling is well shared by the Japanese as well.

Now, to understand the dynamics between Korea, China and Japan, the three entities in East Asia, one has to travel back a bit in history.

Way back, the Korean peninsula was supposedly peopled by migrants from Shandong, by Dong Yi or Eastern Barbarians. Then there were migrants like Evenki's, Mongols etc. from the North East Siberian area, some of whom became Khitan, Jin, Jurchen and Manchu's later. The ruling class I would imagine had significant influence from the northern migrant groups, who were present in large percentage in Goguryeo and Baekje:
Three Kingdoms of Korea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Baekje was also called Nam Buyeo or South Buyeo, because the royal family migrated from Buyeo area:
Buyeo kingdom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The alliance of Shilla and Tang that helped the defeat of Goguryeo and later Baekje, left a scar on the Korean people's collective consciousness. From this point on, till today Korean's have played nice with neighboring empires for its survival as an independent entity, as a pseudo vassal state, but the anguish of being subservient to a bigger nation never went away. Interestingly, part of Baekje royal family, when it got destroyed by Shilla-Tang joint invasion, migrated to Japan, and according to some, these migrants founded the Imperial dynasty of Japan. Some also believe that Japanese Daimyo aristocratic class and Samurai class are related to these earlier migrants from Baekje as well as other parts of East Asian mainland at different times. More details of Chinese-Korean relations:
People's Republic of China

Now lets look at interaction of Japan and Korea. Japan invaded Korea twice:
Japanese invasions of Korea (1592

These brutal invasions left a negative impression and of course the 35 year rule 1910-1945 is mainly responsible for the current bad blood. We can add to these the issue of Dokdo-Takeshima, apology for WW II comfort women etc. A detailed look at Japan-Korea relations:
Japan

Ok, so this is some background info. Now the Korean I know personally, is convinced to work with the Japanese, solve existing irritants, because the threat from China is much bigger, considering North Korea would not even exist without China's help. Also, even if the Japanese were a vicious blood-thirsty people in the days of Imperial Japan or earlier (who weren't), they have changed quite a bit lately and they are not considered as unacceptable as the Chinese. And lastly Japanese with its smaller size is not a long term threat, like a rising China is, with billion plus population, since the modus operandi of China is to absorb smaller vulnerable ethnic groups into its own, borg style. Once shown my idea about ASEAN+3, the Korean as well as some Vietnamese and Burmese I know, are more than convinced that it is the best way to go forward for all these countries. Because many no longer trust the short-sighted white man, much influenced by a fanatic minority with its own short-sighted money oriented obsession, to be able to protect Korea, Japan or ASEAN in the future, from big bad China, in the longer term.

And one final note, like many places in the world, the most dangerous is one's internal traitor, that can do the most damage and one should guard against the most. For Koreans, according to some, this was Shilla, who by allying with Tang, changed the geopolitics of East Asia forever, around 1350 years ago:
Baekje - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

very realistic.
It shows my theory about the Islamic Ummah.

I do not think that the EU will survive its political Union.

You are too naive and idealistic when judging the feelings of Koreans toward the Japanese. You won't get that feeling from Wikipedia. You have to live in Korea for a while or read comments on the media or the Internet everyday for a period of time to sense that feeling.

It is not what you think.

I hope there is no confederations or power blocks... independent countries will coexist with each other and no more borders would be redrawn

the worse a country's situation is today , the more broadminded they are about integrating the world as one.
eg pakinstani says all muslim countries should be one. because they have nothing to offer, but they can draw on the resource and wealth of all other muslim nations.
BDesis go one step ahead, they live in a highly dense small land with low productivity, but they want the whole world to be thier playground so they can escape from there.
Very nice,

You are too naive and idealistic when judging the feelings of Koreans toward the Japanese. You won't get that feeling from Wikipedia. You have to live in Korea for a while or read comments on the media or the Internet everyday for a period of time to sense that feeling.

It is not what you think.
Have you actually lived in Korea or known Koreans off line? If you think I know about Korea and Koreans from wiki, you are mistaken. Wiki is just convenient to provide quick summary and reference to historical and other facts.

Germans, French and English also have a pretty colorful history of killing each other for centuries. Now they are in EU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom