What's new

K5 MISSILE TEST FIRED

^^ So basically, the second stage of Shaurya/K-15 has sustained propulsion at hypersonic speeds provided by solid fuel, and the burn-rate of the solid fuel is very less.
This means India (DRDO) has developed a very efficient type of solid fuel which is slow burning, but gives adequate thrust to power an ~7-8 ton second stage.
Therefore Shaurya/K-15 is a solid-fueled air-independent cruise missile, not quasi-ballistic or depressed trajectory ballistic missile.

Am I correct?

^^ Sorry i am on mobile and cannot watch videos.

To make sense of it all... I am assuming that the second stage has a 'delayed ignition'.
The first stage propels the missile in a flat trajectory,and the missile followes a shallow descent under gravity for some time,after the first stage drops off...After some delay the second stage fires up,probably with a movable nozzle,as now the first stage fell off with and the fins are gone with it.
The second stage with vectoring nozzle,makes course adjustment,changes trajectory to avoid ABM-

Thats the only way i can think of that complies with all the claims made about the missile...
That it follows a composit ballistic path or Quasi......and does some terminal phase manoevers for both course correction and ABM avoidance..
The missile flight time is about 3000 to 5000 secons and there is no way a solid motor rocket can burn for that long on a missile of this size...so 'all the way powered' flight is out of question.
The only plausible way would be as i explained.....delayes ignition of second stage,and second stage thrust vectoring.
Unless anyone else can come up with better explaination??

China's response to K-5: China carries out land-based mid-course missile interception test
China: no ballistic misiles can threat me and my dearest friends :victory:

This missile(K-15) has been tested 11 times. So I dont think it's a response. And this will never be used against China. And isn't China specific. K-4 and mostly K-5 is China specific.

^^ Sorry i am on mobile and cannot watch videos.

To make sense of it all... I am assuming that the second stage has a 'delayed ignition'.
The first stage propels the missile in a flat trajectory,and the missile followes a shallow descent under gravity for some time,after the first stage drops off...After some delay the second stage fires up,probably with a movable nozzle,as now the first stage fell off with and the fins are gone with it.
The second stage with vectoring nozzle,makes course adjustment,changes trajectory to avoid ABM-

Thats the only way i can think of that complies with all the claims made about the missile...
That it follows a composit ballistic path or Quasi......and does some terminal phase manoevers for both course correction and ABM avoidance..
The missile flight time is about 3000 to 5000 secons and there is no way a solid motor rocket can burn for that long on a missile of this size...so 'all the way powered' flight is out of question.
The only plausible way would be as i explained.....delayes ignition of second stage,and second stage thrust vectoring.
Unless anyone else can come up with better explaination??

No no no...the first stage of the K-15 provides the desired altitude and hypersonic velocity for the second stage to continue those flight parameters. 2 sets of tail fins remain with the second stage, thereby providing a little bit of lift and necessary maneuvering.

I think it is possible for the missile to remain powered throughout the flight if the burn rate of the fuel is very less. Look at the CM-400AKG, it has somewhat the same principle. A much bigger missile such as the K-15 can very much achieve the desired range if again, the burn rate is less and the thrust produced is adequate.

Do watch the videos for both K-15 Sagarika and Shaurya when you get the time.

^^ Problem is burnout time..
Even the 85 ton peace keeper didnt have burnout time this long...

^^ Problem is burnout time..
Even the 85 ton peace keeper didnt have burnout time this long...

Because the Peacekeeper was a ballistic missile following a purely ballistic trajectory. It just had to propel the warhead section into the space, after which the it performs correction maneuvers, deploys MIRVs and which afterwards re-enters the atmosphere.

K-15/Shaurya never exits the atmosphere (according to the available information). The whole flight occurs inside dense medium, for which sustained thrust is necessary throughout the flight.

Because the Peacekeeper was a ballistic missile following a purely ballistic trajectory. It just had to propel the warhead section into the space, after which the it performs correction maneuvers, deploys MIRVs and which afterwards re-enters the atmosphere.

K-15/Shaurya never exits the atmosphere (according to the available information). The whole flight occurs inside dense medium, for which sustained thrust is necessary throughout the flight.

That also means much greater fuel consumption than a re-entry missile...
A 6 minute sustained ignition of a solid fuel rocket while within atmosphere...will need more fuel than space shuttle....probably :P

That also means much greater fuel consumption than a re-entry missile...
A 6 minute sustained ignition of a solid fuel rocket while within atmosphere...will need more fuel than space shuttle....probably :P

Thats correct, but there is no other explanation for it IMO. If the missile never exits the atmosphere, it will hardly cover a few 10s of kilometers after the second stage detaches. So in order for it to cover the entire range of 700 km in 6 minutes while remaining inside the atmosphere, the thrust has to be high and sustained. Which indicates towards a highly efficient fuel.

Either DRDO has developed something damn good, or there are some serious issues with reporting.

^^^ and then 'cooling'.
The missile is claimed to be in control all the way to impact...
That means electronics are working all the way to the impact point.
Thats about 4 minutes under temperatures of 500' c and above..
Wonder what can save the electronics from frying for that long.

Thats correct, but there is no other explanation for it IMO. If the missile never exits the atmosphere, it will hardly cover a few 10s of kilometers after the second stage detaches. So in order for it to cover the entire range of 700 km in 6 minutes while remaining inside the atmosphere, the thrust has to be high and sustained. Which indicates towards a highly efficient fuel.

Either DRDO has developed something damn good, or there are some serious issues with reporting.

DRDO does not have to re invent the wheel. It only needs to adapt solid fuel technology from ISRO. For example, the solid booster in my avatar is a slow burning solid motor. There are many overlaping programs between the two, for example scramjet technology demonstrator. Scram jet technology is essential for developing depressed trajectory long range hypersonic missiles or the next evolution of Shourya/k15.

^^^ and then 'cooling'.
The missile is claimed to be in control all the way to impact...
That means electronics are working all the way to the impact point.
Thats about 4 minutes under temperatures of 500' c and above..
Wonder what can save the electronics from frying for that long.

Thats nothing when compared with what a reentry vehicle faces.

Thats nothing when compared to what a reentry vehicle faces.

Exactly..
But there are no electronics working at re-entry.
The warhead is spun at high RPM while in space,directed towards target and electeonics shut off before re-entry....

Here in K-15 , the electronics has to work all the way to impact while flying at mach 7+
Or thats the claim...
In SAM or air to air missiles,they have little titanium cylinders which release air at very high pressure...air expands and luquifies,and the evaporates to cool the electeonics...but that happens for less than a minute...
In K-15 same has to be done for 5+ minutes...
Dont know how...

Exactly..
But there are no electronics working at re-entry.
The warhead is spun at high RPM while in space,directed towards target and electeonics shut off before re-entry....

NO! :fie:
There is still a load of fully functional electronic equipment inside the ReV. The arming systems, detonation systems, detonation-triggering sensors, self-destruct system all work till the detonation occurs. They all are enclosed inside the heat-shielded warhead cone which can withstand temperatures of thousands of degrees celsius.

Here in K-15 , the electronics has to work all the way to impact while flying at mach 7+
Or thats the claim...
In SAM or air to air missiles,they have little titanium cylinders which release air at very high pressure...air expands and luquifies,and the evaporates to cool the electeonics...but that happens for less than a minute...
In K-15 same has to be done for 5+ minutes...
Dont know how...

It was claimed that K-15 performs some sort of roll maneuvers to dissipate heat uniformly all over its body. Its electronics definitely can withstand high temperatures.

NO! :fie:
There is still a load of fully functional electronic equipment inside the ReV. The arming systems, detonation systems, detonation-triggering sensors, self-destruct system all work till the detonation occurs. They all are enclosed inside the heat-shielded warhead cone which can withstand temperatures of thousands of degrees celsius.

It was claimed that K-15 performs some sort of roll maneuvers to dissipate heat uniformly all over its body. Its electronics definitely can withstand high temperatures.

More like peto tubes of aircrafts and a few ceramic capacitors...which are more of electrical,mechanical systems,not electronics.

But when micro chips are running software and making calculations,then cooling is needed...

More like peto tubes of aircrafts and a few ceramic capacitors...which are more of electrical,mechanical systems,not electronics.

But when micro chips are running software and making calculations,then cooling is needed...

Where did you get such info that cooling is needed? high temp radiation Hardened electronics is used not some delicate microchip and maintaining a tolerable temp is enough. Re-entry vehicle material technology is designed in a way to never let the inside temp. rise above a given value (40-50 C). Developing such a material is the major challenge in designing a reentry vehicle and that is one of the reasons why not many countries can build ICBM. Same is the case for scramjet powered hypersonic vehicles.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom