What's new

Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry restored as Chief Justice of Pakistan

I found an article in Dawn which says what I said in my post a few days ago in a much better way.

The next round By Cyril Almeida
Friday, 27 Mar, 2009 | 07:07 AM PST If things continue as they have done so far, Nawaz Sharif will turn into a living martyr - AP/File photo. THE Thing is, while the opposition wasn’t in a position to force Zardari to keep his word the last time, this time the president won’t be able to wriggle away so easily.

By now Nawaz Sharif’s game plan has become clear. He wants three things from the PPP in the next round of political give-and-take (a game which may soon have to be renamed ‘Zardari gives, Sharif takes’): his and his brother’s disqualification reversed; his government back in Punjab; and the CoD-inspired structural changes at the centre.

The first two Sharif won’t be too worried about. With CJ Iftikhar back in the saddle, Musharraf-era convictions are likely to come under closer scrutiny than ever before. In any case, the Sharifs are simply too high-profile to roam around Punjab and not be allowed back into electoral politics. With every day that they’re shut out they edge closer to that delight of all politicians: becoming living martyrs.

And with the clock winding down on governor’s rule, there is still no sign of a PPP–PML-Q union in the province. Again, even if the good ol’ Punjab guv’nor manages to pull it off, Punjab belongs to Sharif — any government in the province without his party would immediately be on death watch.

So, three — constitutional amendment — is what Sharif needs the most because only then will four become possible in the next round: going for power in Islamabad. But what Sharif wants the most right now is also the most difficult to wrest from Zardari. Hence, Sharif is playing a conciliatory hand for now.

It’s not hard to see why Sharif needs Zardari to agree to unlock the constitutional cabinet and rearrange the pieces inside. Strong as Sharif’s hand may be with the electorate, Zardari has placed himself in a constitutionally impregnable position until September 2013. There is simply no obvious way to oust the president; his legal impregnability may be even more solid than his physical security, which is at near-phobic levels.

So if Sharif can’t oust the president, then he needs to at least defang him. Else a Sharif government at the centre would be dead on arrival. Imagine the scenario. A PML-N cabinet taking oath from a president whose party they have just ousted from power and a government serving at the pleasure of a 58(2)(b)-empowered president. Besides, all the key powers of appointment would lie with the president, rendering a PML-N government impotent in important areas.

So sift through Sharif’s statements in recent days and you’ll find he has shrewdly centred his party’s agenda in the post-judges’ restoration phase on a new ‘principle’: righting the imbalance of power between parliament and the president.

It’s almost genius — Sharif is manoeuvring the government into doing his dirty work for him, again. He first managed it when he got Zardari to agree to remove Musharraf. Anyone who believes Musharraf’s ouster was Zardari’s idea need only look at the goings-on in Punjab. Zardari has pursued what was essentially Musharraf’s plan: an understanding between the PML-Q and the PPP. How much easier would that have been had the Q-League’s patron still been around? The second occasion was of course CJ Iftikhar’s restoration. Now it’s time for the third. Sharif’s strategy will be the same: evince no interest in controlling the levers of the state; hold up his clean hands to his base; ratchet up the pressure on the PPP by reminding it of its CoD commitment; and threaten street agitation as a wounded, principled interlocutor if Zardari doesn’t capitulate.

Zardari’s likely response? Stonewalling. He may hope that the Supreme Court withdraws from the politics of the Sharifs’ disqualification and leaves it to parliament to sort out the mess. In which case a quid pro quo between Zardari and Sharif may take centre stage: an incremental legislative and constitutional package that brings the Sharifs back into the electoral fold but leaves Zardari’s powers mostly untouched.

Even otherwise, Zardari may gamble that sandbagged as he would be by Sharif, demands for subtle constitutional changes simply won’t energise the people enough to come out on the streets.

Would Zardari succeed? Unlikely. It’s advantage Sharif. Summer is approaching, and Punjab will be roiled by blackouts. Elsewhere, the Americans are determined to expand their drone strikes inside Pakistan, a deeply unpopular move that will infuriate the people. Sharif could simply bait-and-switch, pushing the government’s back to the wall by championing populist causes and then allowing behind-the-scenes pressure to work its magic and bring down the political temperature by working out a ‘compromise’. Game Sharif.

The question for the rest of us though is, would it be good if Sharif succeeds, even if only for personal motives? Yes.

Two things matter. One, the constitution as it stands post-17th Amendment is designed for a strongman. It has no support among the politicians, expediency aside for the party whose man is in the presidency at any given time. As such it will always be a fount of instability and a source of constant distraction for the polity. It must go.

The second reason is tactical. The country is slipping towards a generation or more of a deeply fragmented electorate. Give the devil his due, Zardari has managed to cobble together a relatively strong majority in the National Assembly and the Senate. It falls short of a two-thirds majority, but with the support of the PMLs, both the N-League and the Q-League, constitutional change is within grasp.

The next configuration in parliament may not be so amenable to a two-thirds majority on any issue. More likely will be coalition governments with smaller majorities and bickering partners and with oppositions going for the kill from day one. In that environment, the presently much-reviled powers of the president will be highly prized for they will circumvent a rabid, noisome parliament.

So we should wish Sharif well in getting Zardari to cave. But not because he is a hero. Far from it. Simply that Sharif’s self-interest today may be good for the interests of the rest of us tomorrow.

cyril.a@gmail.com
http://www.defence.pk/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=338129

But than this new twist should get out MQM out of business if not out of Pakistan.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see why people are so excited about the return of the chief justice Iftikhar Chaudry. I mean the man is 'overly' politicized now. He hadn't made a significant contribution as the Chief Justice before being kicked out, and nor has he made any difference since he has returned. I mean, everyone was stating that once the CJ was back, things would change, but tell me guys, has anything changed? have the police found a single of the 600 people missing? have we seen foreigners invest in our country? just yesterday i saw the CJ was giving a speech on how lawyers need to strengthen the nation, and guess what? people were sleeping! if CJ really wants to play his role in the system, he should start by improving our judicial system, he should see how lawyers are manipulating the poor, how they exploit their weaknesses. CJ should fix what his under his control and keep his nose out of politics.

Pakistan Zindabad
:pakistan:

well i just wantto say that we should be more focused on independent judiciary rather than other PCO judges.Iftikhar sb should more consider on independence of judiciary kick out corruption from his department

We witnessed a revolutionary movement (Inquilabi Tehreek) for restration of CJ. Peoples of Pakistan came out of there home to restore judiciary so that political & judicial criminals could be treated with iron hands. But it looks like the trust of Pakistani peoples on Honourable CJ is broken into Smallest particles. He has done nothing from the date of his restoration to today. No political criminal is handcuffed but it looks like Mr. CJ was restored with His hand cuffed and Mouth sealed.

It looks like every man with power and seat in Pakistan is after earning more and more money. There is no powered person thinking about peoples of Pakistan.
:usflag:

The best thing now for the CJ is to hand in his resignation and go down as a true patriot.

Twice convicted, but this is Justice in Pakistan:

Nawaz acquitted in plane hijacking case
Updated at: 1020 PST, Friday, July 17, 2009
ISLAMABAD: Supreme Court of Pakistan five-member bench unanimously acquitting Muslim League-N Quaid, Nawaz Sharif in about ten months old plane hijacking case has declared Sindh High Court (SHC)’s earlier decisions invalid.

Headed by Justice Tassaduq Hussain Jillani, the five-member SC bench consists of Justice Nasirul Mulk, Justice Ghulam Rabbani, Justice Mohammad Moosa K Leghari and Justice Sheikh Hakim Ali.

Earlier on June 18, the same bench had reserved the verdict after the counsels for both sides had concluded their arguments.

Nawaz was sentenced to life imprisonment twice by the Karachi Anti-Terrorism Court (APC) in April 2000, after the APC found him guilty of refusing to allow a commercial aircraft – carrying Gen (r) Pervez Musharraf, the army chief at that time, along with 200 other passengers – to land at the Quaid-e-Azam International Airport, Karachi on October 12, 1999.

Allah has determined the truth, now i will work day night for serving the nation: Nawaz Sharif
Submitted 31 mins ago

Pakistan Muslim League (N) quaid Mian Nawaz Sharif expressing pleasure on the Supreme Court verdict said that he is bestowed to Allah for his acquittal. Mian Nawaz Sharif in his immediate reaction said that Allah has determined the truth and now he would work day night for serving the people of Pakistan.

That's right boys and girls, no less than Allah - sounds like a winner doesn't he? and if a bomb or Assasin fells him? Would that be Allah, as well??

The News/Jang. Geo is so pro-Nawaz, just look at how the image and quote from Nawaz tries to paint him in such a 'pious' and 'noble' light.:lol:

That is obviously a file photo pulled out for the occasion.
'I bow to Allah for verdict': Nawaz Sharif

Updated at: 1130 PST, Friday, July 17, 2009
LAHORE: Pakistan Muslim League (N) quaid Mian Nawaz Sharif expressing pleasure on the Supreme Court verdict said that he is bow to Allah for his acquittal.

Mian Nawaz Sharif in his immediate reaction said that Allah has determined the truth and now he would work day night for serving the people of Pakistan.

'I bow to Allah for verdict': Nawaz Sharif

The CJ is pying rich dividends back to Babra sharif I mean Nw
awaz sharif and why not NS invested heavily on him.

congrats guyz Cheif justice restored :lol: thats a breaking news i think :lol:

and congrats to Nawaz Sharif also....... Finally he can stand in elections

Allah has determined the truth, now i will work day night for serving the nation: Nawaz Sharif
Submitted 31 mins ago

Pakistan Muslim League (N) quaid Mian Nawaz Sharif expressing pleasure on the Supreme Court verdict said that he is bestowed to Allah for his acquittal. Mian Nawaz Sharif in his immediate reaction said that Allah has determined the truth and now he would work day night for serving the people of Pakistan.

That's right boys and girls, no less than Allah - sounds like a winner doesn't he? and if a bomb or Assasin fells him? Would that be Allah, as well??

Its hillarious. I could not stop laughing.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: Only the Almighty knows whats in his mind, but wait he doesnt have brain infact brains..what a leadership we have.

The News/Jang. Geo is so pro-Nawaz, just look at how the image and quote from Nawaz tries to paint him in such a 'pious' and 'noble' light.:lol:

That is obviously a file photo pulled out for the occasion.

Such amazing trust in Allah. I wonder where that trust was when Abba ji and sons were hoarding ill-gotten wealth for their progeny...bloody chorr. :tsk:

Another sad day afetr NRO ... we are back to square one. :hitwall:

Another sad day afetr NRO ... we are back to square one. :hitwall:

Do we deserve anything better? Its high time that we get over our amazement over such things. Quite a bit more is in store for us. This is a nation that cries over every single thing including not wanting to pay taxes, high prices etc. etc. but do you see anyone doing anything about it? Nothing sir, absolutely nothing!

The result is that we will have tragedies such as Zardari and Nawaz Sharif continuously inflicted upon us.

Back
Top Bottom