What's new

JF-17B Updates, News & Discussion

No, it's a nightlight for the aerial refuelling probe. Block I and II aircraft do not have any MAWS on the intakes, only the Block III has MAWS (IR based, as apposed to UV based in Block I/II) on the intakes.
I think that's the HUD repeater, not the upfront control panel.
Not sure in the past people have argued how would the light in it's position help the IFR and insisted that it was MAWS.

1611503523804.png

Not sure in the past people have argued how would the light in it's position help the IFR and insisted that it was MAWS.

View attachment 710076

The light pops out when needed, otherwise it's recessed in a fairing for aerodynamic purposes. It wouldn't serve any better as a MAWS in that position either. In addition, if it was a MAWS, there would one on the other intake.

View attachment 710076

Like so. The light and reflector will be angled. The are recessed below the surface. A flat transparent cover, parallel to the plane's surrounding surfaces us what we see.

Like the three light below, the can be pointed in a direction and the mounting surface/well untouched

dxnhkm-49b84b4f-6c03-43f5-acdb-b682d041c662.jpg

1013a7f8d32ecc1301552b981e445e25.jpg
recessed-lighting-gross-electric.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful, and true to form and function . The display console in the rear cockpit is higher up since there can be no HUD for the rear pilot. The forward vision is not restricted because the GIBS is sitting higher up. We assume that would be the instructors seat.

its Called HUD repeater meaning the front cockpit hud picture is projected over the upfront display In The rear

Does that mean it can do more manuvers now ?
It probably means it can fly more efficiently, and the pilot doesn't have to worry about flying the plane and can focus on operating weapon systems, comms, etc.

Maneuverability isn't a priority in the age of BVR. And trying to increase it to compete with a flanker with TVC is pointless.

Back
Top Bottom