What's new

JF-17B Updates, News & Discussion

:-)

PAF JF-17B 19-607 + tail art.jpg

look, I did have that dream of a PAF official saying, "I don't think AZM needs to be 5th generation..." You just never know with our guys.
Usually there is no accountability in such decisions by anyone outside of the PAF so I would not discount dreams coming true.

In democratic countries the military is grilled for each decision by civilian SME’s - the F-16 is a result of this. In Pakistan telling a military official you think they may be wrong is akin to calling their mother names.

The easiest path for PAF - hinges or not - civilian oversight or not - is to give the block III avionics a marginal update and a new "somewhat 5th gen" body, use WS-10 / 15 engines and call it a day. Add a laser and call it 5.5.

Evolution is a lot cheaper than revolution. JF-17 could evolve into the Azm, if one thinks about it that way. Just as Airbus once upgraded its aircraft piecemeal, wing, fuselage, tail, etc until it had, eventually, an all new design.

Is it techincally possible to convert the back seat of jf17b to carry extra BVR misslies. Like having internal bay for missile or may convert second seat space to carry extra fuel and using all 7 hard points for missiles.
Is their any example where any country converted the back seat to carry missiles or fuel instead of second pilot and his seat & controls?

What is the total number of B model PAF is going have ?

Is it techincally possible to convert the back seat of jf17b to carry extra BVR misslies. Like having internal bay for missile or may convert second seat space to carry extra fuel and using all 7 hard points for missiles.
Is their any example where any country converted the back seat to carry missiles or fuel instead of second pilot and his seat & controls?
2nd seat is not designed to fit Molana Tahir Ashrafi. if that were the case then you could fit an entire Shaheen III back in there.

They spent years to make the space for that extra seat and now you want to fill it again with fuel or something else.

Bhai, we have JF-17A single seater and B for different purpose. Whatever, a single seat could do, is proven in JF-17A.

Whatever you suggested, is already done and then we progressed to have 2 seat/dual seat Bravo.

Leaving the need for such a measure aside, the Russians have done something similar with their Mig-29K by replacing the second seat with avionics.

Narendra_Modi_in_cockpit_of_MiG-29K_abroad_INS_Vikramaditya.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...ockpit_of_MiG-29K_abroad_INS_Vikramaditya.jpg

Usually it's the other way around; designers/manufacturers have to figure out ways of freeing up enough space to fit a second seat in the aircraft. When that seat is not needed they just revert to the single seat version, which is already optimized to fly with a single seat.

Great documentary

I see what looks like 2P-83 and we have 2P-84 and we have 2P-82 we didnt see 2P-81 but did see 2P-80, thats 5 x JF17A Block II

so the switch happens at 2P-79B to 2P-80 from dual seater to single seater

only thing I dont get is 2P-73B is labelled as 12th and 2P-77 is labelled as 13th?

all these are now now mixed with exports so it makes the situation more complicated

however one thing is clear

PAC Is building JF17A Block II + JF17B Block II simultaneously

and it would suggest that we have built

50 x JF17 Block I
and with 2P-84 thats total of 134 x JF17 all variants

can someone remind me what were the numbers at 2P-61-2P-69?

Here is 2P-83

Screen Shot 2020-10-05 at 21.30.34.png

Last edited:
Great documentary

I see what looks like 2P-83 and we have 2P-84 and we have 2P-82 we didnt see 2P-81 but did see 2P-80, thats 4 x JF17A Block II

so the switch happens at 2P-79B to 2P-80 from dual seater to single seater

only thing I dont get is 2P-73B is labelled as 12th and 2P-77 is labelled as 13th?

all these are now now mixed with exports so it makes the situation more complicated

however one thing is clear

PAC Is building JF17A Block II + JF17B Block II simultaneously

and it would suggest that we have built

50 x JF17 Block I
and with 2P-84 thats total of 134 x JF17 all variants

can someone remind me what were the numbers at 2P-61-2P-69?

Here is 2P-83

View attachment 676365

JF-17 Thunder Block-1A = 50
  • SP-01 - SP-50
JF-17 Thunder Block 2A = 50
  • 2P-01 - 2P-50
JF-17 Thunder Block-2A = 12 additional ordered
  • 2P-51 - 2P-59 (9 out of 12 built)
  • 29-60 - 2P-62 (3 for Nigerian Air Force)
JF-17 Thunder Block-2B = 26
  • 2P-63 & 2P-64 (No photo confirmation whether they're Alpha or Bravo)
  • 2P-65B - 2P-79B (15 out of 26 built)
  • 2P-80 - 2P-84 (unsure whether these are Alpha or Bravo)

In my humble opinion, the numbers such as 4th aircraft, 12th aircraft, etc. does not reflect the above production numbers but represent the assembly line.

In other words, if there are 12 assembly lines and 50 aircraft are to be built, atleast 4 aircraft will be labelled 1st aircraft, 4 aircraft will be labelled 2nd aircraft, 4 aircraft will be labelled as 3rd aircraft, and so on.

I see the 4 aircraft

2P-80 to 2P-83 as definitely single seater

do you remember when 2P-68 was called the 8th?

so we could have 20 x JF17B

(2019)8 + (2020) 14 = 22 so 2 more by end of this year could be realistic

Back
Top Bottom