What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 7]

Looks like PAF is using a more capable KG-600 SPJ now. We used to see the older KG-300 being shown with the Thunders in the past.

The Chinese Air Force is currently equipped with a large number of pods is the KG-600 pod, the same as the JF17
1637874927115.png

With the advent of integrated jammes, and external jammer pods - 2 BVR missiles are not enough these days - hopefully PAF can redress this short coming with the JF17 soon with the JF17 Block III series and some means of retrofitting of that into JF17 Block II's(I's).
The inner wing pylons will have dual racks soon. Blk3 standard

It was all guess work. No one could say with certainty that the engine would not be upgraded. The only indication of delay was the report that RD-93MA was undergoing testing, according to a report last year. JF-17 needs a more powerful engine with higher dry thrust even if PAF says that it is happy with RD-93.
Honestly, what else would PAF say? That they wish they had a better, more powerful engine, without getting egg on their faces? I read their statements as the current engine meets the bare requirements for the job. I am sure once the Russians have their engine through development and testing, PAF would see if it is feasible to get/upgrade its existing fleet, even if just for safely reasons alone given hundreds we have in service already now.

Honestly, what else would PAF say? That they wish they had a better, more powerful engine, without getting egg on their faces? I read their statements as the current engine meets the bare requirements for the job. I am sure once the Russians have their engine through development and testing, PAF would see if it is feasible to get/upgrade its existing fleet, even if just for safely reasons alone given hundreds we have in service already now.
We have no choice. It's OK making such statements but what us the alternative?

We have no choice. It's OK making such statements but what us the alternative?
Exactly, there is none realistically. PAF has not choice but to wait for the Russians. If Pakistan had the money to spend and push for upgrades sooner, it would have to pay for that out of its pocket. I am thinking Klimov is funding the development from its own funds in hope it will find a customer base now (PAF or other JF-17 users)

Back
Top Bottom