What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 7]

Whatever happened to IFR probe. And please don't start with "it can be installed anytime" why would they take the aircraft out of operational service to install the probe? When they could've just installed it in manufacturing stage. Something is not right.
Another thing is PAF used to boast about how they were able to put the aircraft in active service in less than a decade. And that was 2007 and a decade later they still don't have 100 aircraft.
Whether it's financial or technical, there are issues with the aircraft.

Hi,

That is the difference between the 3rd gen and 3.5 gen aircraft to the 4th gen and above---.

Takes 2 to 3 times longer to integrate.

The aircraft stays in operational service----while you are fueling it and checking other systems---a tech can undo the plate and install the probe---.

But you are right in one sense---anything machinery or parts that are taken out and re-installed at regular intervals---they have a higher chance of failure or more problems coming up---even with simple items---like ruining the threads of screws / bolts---.

Fightrr Gen.jpg

Chinese industry did not had anything in gen 1 so their 1 gen (f7s) is eq to western 2nd gen, (f8 2nd gen), (JF/FC20 3rd) and 4th gen (f31/f20) eq to western 5th gen

Last edited:
And yes the total green one is here too, once in a while see it fly also. I believe that was the 111.

heard that some 1 year ago. some "i don't know" problem occurred in this particular fighter during flight. and the Pilot brought it down and landed it Using a belt.

is it true ? @Windjammer .Sir !!

Whatever happened to IFR probe. And please don't start with "it can be installed anytime" why would they take the aircraft out of operational service to install the probe? When they could've just installed it in manufacturing stage. Something is not right.
Another thing is PAF used to boast about how they were able to put the aircraft in active service in less than a decade. And that was 2007 and a decade later they still don't have 100 aircraft.
Whether it's financial or technical, there are issues with the aircraft.

As per my understanding Sir, IFR is not a standard installation for all JFTs but would be done initially for particular Aircrafts and mission specific that selective birds will need it. However, easy plumbing term is used as it wouldn't be an issue to install the same on rest of the fleet if needed.

As per my understanding Sir, IFR is not a standard installation for all JFTs but would be done initially for particular Aircrafts and mission specific that selective birds will need it. However, easy plumbing term is used as it wouldn't be an issue to install the same on rest of the fleet if needed.
So just to clarify, whole fleet of JF-17 is not going to get the IFR, only the squadrons that have some specific requirements for it?

I understand it won't be much of an issue to install the IFR probe later on, to me it just doesn't make sense to not install it now. They have done it with two aircraft that we know so i'm sure whatever testing that needed to be done, should be completed by now.
That being said, if what you say is true then can we expect dual seater to be equipped with IFR probes? They would probably be the ones on strike duties plus their fuel capacity would've also decreased.

http://asianmilitaryreview.com/2017/02/rolling-thunder-jf-17/

Rolling Thunder
By
Alan Warnes
-
February 1, 2017
This year is going to be massive for the JF-17/B Thunder fighter. The Sino-Pakistan aircraft, which is being built by the Pakistan Aeronautical Complex (PAC), should achieve more milestones in 2017.

The first flight of a dual-seat JF-17B, is expected to take place by the end of the second quarter. Air Marshal (AM) Arshad Malik, the PAC’s chairman, told asianmilitaryreview.com: “These are very exciting times for an aircraft which will help to shape the future of the Pakistan Air Force (PAF).” AM Malik continued that 2016 had been a very busy year, which saw the projected delivery of 16 aircraft to the PAF, being completed by the end of the year.

In 2017, PAC will build 14 single-seater JF-17s to complete the 50 aircraft ordered in JF-17 Block-2 status, the production of which commenced in December 2013: “We can increase our output even further to cope with future exports,” AM Malik added. On the export front, the Nigerian media recently announced that the Nigerian Air Force had ordered three JF-17s, but no further details are known.

Initially, three JF-17Bs will be built, two of which will equip the PAF. Having a two-seater in the testing and development programme, will speed up the integration of more weapons according to the CATIC (China National Aero-Technology Import and Export Corporation) which offers the aircraft in its portfolio. At the same time, it will allow potential customers to actually experience the aircraft, rather than rely on a simulator.

Meanwhile a contract for 50 JF-17 Block-3s is expected to be signed in the first half of this year, which will ensure production does not halt when all the JF-17 Block-2 aircraft are completed. The most advanced version of the Thunder will include new avionics, better electronic warfare systems, increased payload and more sophisticated weapons.

The Block-3 variant will be the ultimate JF-17 with an AESA (Active Electronically Scanned Array) X-band (8.5-10.68 gigahertz) radar replacing the older Nanjing Research Institute of Electronic Technologies’ (NRIET) KLJ-7 X-band fire control radar equipping legacy versions of the aircraft. Two possibilities exist for the JF-17 Block-3, including NRIET’s enhanced KLJ-7A while Leonardo is also believed to have approached the PAF with an undisclosed, proposed solution. There is a possibility, if such a requirement is there, that the legacy JF-17 Block-1/2 aircraft flown by the PAF could be upgraded to the Block-3 standard.
http://asianmilitaryreview.com/2017/02/rolling-thunder-jf-17/

Rolling Thunder
By
Alan Warnes
-
February 1, 2017
This year is going to be massive for the JF-17/B Thunder fighter. The Sino-Pakistan aircraft, which is being built by the Pakistan Aeronautical Complex (PAC), should achieve more milestones in 2017.

The first flight of a dual-seat JF-17B, is expected to take place by the end of the second quarter. Air Marshal (AM) Arshad Malik, the PAC’s chairman, told asianmilitaryreview.com: “These are very exciting times for an aircraft which will help to shape the future of the Pakistan Air Force (PAF).” AM Malik continued that 2016 had been a very busy year, which saw the projected delivery of 16 aircraft to the PAF, being completed by the end of the year.

In 2017, PAC will build 14 single-seater JF-17s to complete the 50 aircraft ordered in JF-17 Block-2 status, the production of which commenced in December 2013: “We can increase our output even further to cope with future exports,” AM Malik added. On the export front, the Nigerian media recently announced that the Nigerian Air Force had ordered three JF-17s, but no further details are known.

Initially, three JF-17Bs will be built, two of which will equip the PAF. Having a two-seater in the testing and development programme, will speed up the integration of more weapons according to the CATIC (China National Aero-Technology Import and Export Corporation) which offers the aircraft in its portfolio. At the same time, it will allow potential customers to actually experience the aircraft, rather than rely on a simulator.

Meanwhile a contract for 50 JF-17 Block-3s is expected to be signed in the first half of this year, which will ensure production does not halt when all the JF-17 Block-2 aircraft are completed. The most advanced version of the Thunder will include new avionics, better electronic warfare systems, increased payload and more sophisticated weapons.

The Block-3 variant will be the ultimate JF-17 with an AESA (Active Electronically Scanned Array) X-band (8.5-10.68 gigahertz) radar replacing the older Nanjing Research Institute of Electronic Technologies’ (NRIET) KLJ-7 X-band fire control radar equipping legacy versions of the aircraft. Two possibilities exist for the JF-17 Block-3, including NRIET’s enhanced KLJ-7A while Leonardo is also believed to have approached the PAF with an undisclosed, proposed solution. There is a possibility, if such a requirement is there, that the legacy JF-17 Block-1/2 aircraft flown by the PAF could be upgraded to the Block-3 standard.
If each year (2015 and 2016) PAC produced 16 AC, then how the order of 50 will be completed in 2017 if they only produce 14? Or am I missing something.

If each year (2015 and 2016) PAC produced 16 AC, then how the order of 50 will be completed in 2017 if they only produce 14? Or am I missing something.

The Block II production started in Dec, 2013. So we've produced some of them in 2014, 2015 and 2016 with 14 remaining for 2017. If we take into account the export aircraft the numbers start making sense.

The payload was increased from initial production 3600kg to 4600kg in block2 IIRC. So a further increase in payload means use of DER or increased hard points?

May be increased hard point for different pods .... As previously Air Commodore Khalid hinted
flash-e1-jpg.253293

So just to clarify, whole fleet of JF-17 is not going to get the IFR, only the squadrons that have some specific requirements for it?

Seems like the case to Me.

I understand it won't be much of an issue to install the IFR probe later on, to me it just doesn't make sense to not install it now. They have done it with two aircraft that we know so i'm sure whatever testing that needed to be done, should be completed by now.
That being said, if what you say is true then can we expect dual seater to be equipped with IFR probes? They would probably be the ones on strike duties plus their fuel capacity would've also decreased.

IFR is being tested and it was reported that production after P-29 would be installed with but as we have seen recently JF-17 16-232 without IFR, IMO, IFR option would be for the selected birds with mission specific requirements however, it is also reported that installing IFR on rest of the fleet or any bird is now a simple plumbing and can be done immediately as needed. I expressed my observation w.r.t. installing & uninstalling the IFR that may damage the part and IMO, that is not the case. Also, as we currently do not see any bird till 16-232 serial with IFR then I assumed that initially we have tested the same and will be installed for upcoming serials and later fit remaining Block-II with the same so not to waste time while waiting for finalization of IFR integration which I think, is done now.

Dual seaters !!! Add dual seaters in the count as well plus more than 16 built as we saw 2p33 already but not part of delivery year I guess anyway who Cares, bean counting , move on

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom