What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 7]

The only thing positive about late 2019 to early 2020 production is the rd93ma ehich was supposed to be ready by 2019. The extra power may b a requirement for aesa and possibly other add ons like pods or internal system or gadgets which itself may b a far stretched fantasy. But block 3 is now more likely coming with a newer engine from get go.

6d76887bgy1fxq9hh4u3mj20rs0ij139.jpg

The best possiblity to me with this 2019-2021 timeline is that Block-3 comes with a semi-stealth airframe or stealthy airframe without internal weapon bay, with better & more powerful engine like WS19 and other expected upgrades because the time Block-3 actually taking (if you count time after block2) is enough to do such huge modifications.

One more possiblity is that PAF wants JF-17 block3 to be develop specifically against Rafael after it comes to india and F-16 & JF-17 Block1&2 with upgrades to face rest of indian fighters. (Too bad PAF is always reactive to threat and don't want to be proactively counter the threat) and if this is true then AZM will not be a reality before 2028-2030 as india is also not going to get 5th Gen before 2025-2028.

But I am with a heavy heart and disappointed because all is just .................... :blah:

Last edited:
PAF F-16 A/B were a huge leapfrog for it, it took IAF two different aircraft type to try to match it ( M2K and Mig-29s ). So PAF is not always reactive, its the fiscal crap of last few decades that has caused the induction dilemma. Lack of Tax income and crappy Gov't leadership, if it wasn't for Mushy siding with "W", PAF would be far behind then where they at now.

PS: Don't expect too much of external changes for Jf-17 Block III, the new engine would require 2/3 year plus testing after integrating with the air frame.

#149, is that the aircraft number? Does that means Pakistan has close to 150 JF-17s operational at this moment ?
no block 1 no.49

The only thing positive about late 2019 to early 2020 production is the rd93ma ehich was supposed to be ready by 2019. The extra power may b a requirement for aesa and possibly other add ons like pods or internal system or gadgets which itself may b a far stretched fantasy. But block 3 is now more likely coming with a newer engine from get go.
Time frame of 2021 simply means a major update or complete lack of money to induct aircraft ..

Has the Pakistan Navy taken interest in acquiring any of the JF-17 for themselves?

JF-17
JF-17B (Block II)
JF-17 Block II
JF-17 Block III

Has the Pakistan Navy taken interest in acquiring any of the JF-17 for themselves?

JF-17
JF-17B (Block II)
JF-17 Block II
JF-17 Block III

Does Pakistan navy operate fixed wing fighter aircraft, no

JF17 operates from Masroor under PAF in anti-ship role is that what you mean

no block 1 no.49

Time frame of 2021 simply means a major update or complete lack of money to induct aircraft ..
PAF never replaced the one that crashed...Moreover are you counting the 4 stationed in China for further development?

I think regarding time frame for Blk 3, we are forgetting that there will be a tremendous amount of new systems, including Radar, possibly HMD-S and IRST/EOD and possibly new engine. I doubt very much that there will be tremendous structural changes with respect to the airframe as that would exacerbate the time schedule more. We need to remember, that these systems all need to be tested in prototypes to assure they meet standards and that they are married and talk well between each other. Even if the design and electronics suits are chosen today, that would still require extensive integration and testing. This is not Blk 1 to Blk 2 jump, this is a much larger undertaking where core systems are being changed and need to be integrated. I think the 2020/2021 is for induction after the above issues have been taken care of.

Does Pakistan navy operate fixed wing fighter aircraft, no

JF17 operates from Masroor under PAF in anti-ship role is that what you mean
I'm aware that JF-17 operates under the PAF, however I was under the impression that the NAVY also operates Mirage V with its own (Navy) pilots on PAF Aircrafts.

I was just wondering if the Navy had any intention of acquiring its own JF-17...

I think regarding time frame for Blk 3, we are forgetting that there will be a tremendous amount of new systems, including Radar, possibly HMD-S and IRST/EOD and possibly new engine. I doubt very much that there will be tremendous structural changes with respect to the airframe as that would exacerbate the time schedule more. We need to remember, that these systems all need to be tested in prototypes to assure they meet standards and that they are married and talk well between each other. Even if the design and electronics suits are chosen today, that would still require extensive integration and testing. This is not Blk 1 to Blk 2 jump, this is a much larger undertaking where core systems are being changed and need to be integrated. I think the 2020/2021 is for induction after the above issues have been taken care of.

Block III work has been ongoing, and CAC has a lot of experience turning around prototypes modifications quickly. Air Frame Redesigns might be in store If the PAF pushes for it and is willing to pay for the final product at the higher cost. CAC will be happy to do the work.

This semi-Stealth Concept out of CAC is from November 2016. They have been studying the possibility. Also export approved Stealth or heat absorbing coatings could help lower the RCS and/or IR signatures. A retracted refueling probe could also help. Making the antennas all flush with the body of the plane may also become more affordable. The big feature to watch for it weight reduction with more composite use; because it will change the flight envelope with a much better TWR.
https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-2rJ_AKkN...XvyfHvf3p7NjsBfrQQCPcB/s1600/FC-1_stealth.jpg

Back
Top Bottom