What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 7]

I'm pleased to report that LKF601E AESA radar has been tested and validated by PAF in operational conditions on the behalf of Chinese OEM.

The decision is pending, whether they'll go for the KLJ-7V2/LKF601E solution or the Vixen-1000.

LFK for older blocks is as good as a done deal. Thanks for confirming though :pakistan:

In the meantime, here is a great presentation involving seaborne assets and AESA radars

There will be an across the fleet AESA upgrade on all blocks. The Block-III will feature a purpose built AESA radar, the other two blocks will be retrofitted.
If the decision is still pending, there will be a long delay.

Vixen is not coming. China refused to share source codes of weapons for integration on that radar. We have share in the aircraft, not weapons. Also performance of both was found to be on par with neither triumphing another.

Yeah it could take a while. PAF would like to conduct a comparative test run on the available solutions to determine which system suits them the best and integrates all of the weapons they've got.

Vixen is not coming. China refused to share source codes of weapons for integration on that radar. We have share in the aircraft, not weapons. Also performance of both was found to be on par with neither triumphing another.

Actually the key selling point is AIM-120 AMRAAM integration through Vixen radar.

PAF is also looking for JHMCS integration on Thunders with 5th gen HOBS AAM like those Darters which just got certified.

Yeah it could take a while. PAF would like to conduct a comparative test run on the available solutions to determine which system suits them the best and integrates all of the weapons they've got.

Actually the key selling point is AIM-120 AMRAAM integration through Vixen radar.

PAF is also looking for JHMCS integration on Thunders with 5th gen HOBS AAM like those Darters which just got certified.

The Italian route would be unfortunate. We need to think about the future. Would Italy share a quantum radar in the future? Would the release counter-measures to India during a major escalation? And what about integration of the SD-10? It's better to let China develop a proper HMD/S rather than take on future risks.

Everything is available with money.

PAF feels that AMRAAM, VIXEN, JHMCS, Darter combo is a good set of capabilities against Sukhois & Rafales.

The Italian route would be unfortunate. We need to think about the future. Would Italy share a quantum radar in the future? Would the release counter-measures to India during a major escalation? And what about integration of the SD-10? It's better to let China develop a proper HMD/S rather than take on future risks.

now i get it....its not just about upgrading the thunders anymore...this is much bigger than we originally thought....PAF is trying to upgrade their Vipers with Aesa through the vixen

I agree... the fascination with vixen is beyond me... ...they need to think about future not a single weapons system

Yankees just blocked the AH-1Zs and sold them to Bahrain and these guys are still looking to integrate AMRAAM and JHCMS? Who would let them?? With such modifications, the jf-17 will become a direct competitor to the F-16V the one Taiwan got days ago.

No body in Europe or even GCC is going to buy it even with AMRAAM, JHCMS and HOBS when they have access to big guns. Whoever is coming up with such plans at the helm in PAF is screwing things up big time.

Last edited:
Everything is available with money.

PAF feels that AMRAAM, VIXEN, JHMCS, Darter combo is a good set of capabilities against Sukhois & Rafales.

The previous ACM is on record saying that future of PAC is making AESA radars and fifth gen aircraft here. The Italians would never give up their technology. KLJ-7A is our best shot at getting an indigenous AESA capability. We can then work with the Turks to even upgrade the Vipers. The Italian route makes absolutely no sense at all. If this happens, it would be akin to selling the nation's interests. And, by the way, money may buy everything, but we certainly don't have a lot of it. As a matter of fact, it is the aim of our enemies to involve us in a costly arm's race. We would be playing straight into their hands.

Trust me, I'm not the one writing the policy.

The AH-1Z have been stored because the Army wants to cut freight and training costs. I don't think it'd be embargoed.

Third most important question is: If the Chinese radars and weapons perform as advertised or expected.

I'm no salesman for Vixen though, but i reckon if AMRAAMs, JHMCS, R-Darter are integrated on thunders, the resulting product will be an apt solution to the Rafale, Sukhoi problem.

PAC is developing substitute software to enable the integration of Western weapons like AMRAAM, R-Darter, JHMCS, Meteor or that Turkish BVRAAM that's under development.

In the end, its about diversification. PAF feels that the money it saved by developing Thunders is better spent on upgrading its capabilities.

That said. There are export customers with high end requirements, like Morocco, Malaysia, KSA, Azerbaijan etc. They might want the jet but not the Chinese weapons. They instead want western weapons onboard.

Yankees just blocked the AH-1Zs and sold them to Bahrain and these guys are still looking to integrate AMRAAM and JHCMS? Who would let them?? With such modifications, the jf-17 will become a direct competitor to the F-16V the one Taiwan got days ago.

No body in Europe or even GCC is going to buy it even with AMRAMMSm, JHCMS and HOBS when they have access to big guns. Whoever is coming up with such plans at the helm in PAF is screwing things up big time.

I personally think we should pass a resolution in assembly stating that any military personnel or airforce personnel dreaming of getting American equipment and thus not only wasting our hard earned tax money but also most importantly precious time ... shud be charged with treason and hanged..

They have been bitten from same hole 10 times and they are back for more

There has to be kick backs involved if they go that route....AGAIN

Trust me, I'm not the one writing the policy.

The AH-1Z have been stored because the Army wants to cut freight and training costs. I don't think it'd be embargoed.

Third most important question is: If the Chinese radars and weapons perform as advertised or expected.

I'm no salesman for Vixen though, but i reckon if AMRAAMs, JHMCS, R-Darter are integrated on thunders, the resulting product will be an apt solution to the Rafale, Sukhoi problem.

PAC is developing substitute software to enable the integration of Western weapons like AMRAAM, R-Darter, JHMCS, Meteor or that Turkish BVRAAM that's under development.

In the end, its about diversification. PAF feels that the money it saved by developing Thunders is better spent on upgrading its capabilities.

That said. There are export customers with high end requirements, like Morocco, Malaysia, KSA, Azerbaijan etc. They might want the jet but not the Chinese weapons. They instead want western weapons onboard.

No body called you a policy maker or a salesman.

Without going into debate mode, i would maintain that this route leads to disaster and kills the whole purpose of the project. Adding sanction prone tech into it, even for export customers, is simply a bad idea.

It was meant to be sanction proof, with the said plan, it will become sanction prone.

They will neither get aesa nor missiles nor helmet... they will waste all the money... set back progress by 10 may be 20 years...
So if any one thinking I am talking treason please look at facts and decide who is traitor here

Back
Top Bottom