What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 7]

Would Conformal Fuel Tanks be part of Block III?

bfbcc61ac51ead5bb6350311952715cb_zpsc39c02a7.jpg

Note: Yeah I know its Photoshoped 4-5 years back.

According to Wikipedia(not extremely reliable source but that's all I could find)...
- JF17 program cost is listed at 5 billion USD
I assume that's the total cost for the entirety of JF17's development

J10 program cost is listed as "0.5 billion RMB allocated in 1982"...if we convert this to USD at 1982 exchange rate
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_renminbi_exchange_rates
...it comes out to be 2,642,007.93 USD. Let's just round it to 3 million USD for the sake of simplicity. Also it says that's how much was allocated in 1982...and often times there are cost over runs so I wouldn't be surprised if in the end the total amount was much higher than 3 million USD for the cost of J10's develoment. Still though I wouldn't expect it to be that much different than that 5 billion USD figure for JF17's development.

So yes both Pak/China could've stuck with one program(J10) and IMO it would've been better for both of them in the long run. Even the unit cost doesn't seem all that different between the two...
...on those same Wikipedia pages it lists the unit cost(in 2010) for J10 at $27.84 million. Compared to $25 million of JF17 block I, which was being produced in 2010.

I think a major reason for that deviation for the end goal both had in mind is that when JF17 program began Pak didn't foresee falling out of US favor and ending up mostly into China's camp. F16s were to be the first tier and JF17 was envisioned as the second tier to make up numbers. Moreover Pak could add to it Western avionics and weaponry and have a cheap mini F16 in numbers.
China was mainly looking to create a competitor to Su27 and F16(top tiers of their era) bcuz it was somewhat at odds with USSR and the west...and didn't want to rely on western avionics for obvious reasons. Hence J10 was born.

In any case...the whole point of my post was that let's not dwell on the past. Learn from it and move on.
Thats not correct ... pakistan joined this program during pressler amendments so Pakistan already knew that they are no more in US camp ...

The reality is we needed to replace our low weight fighters i.e. f7 and mjrrages ... f16 were still good ... we were supposed to shift from f16 to rafael i 2003 but we missed that chance .. now stuck with f16s ...

Jf17 is the right project a small fighter to replace small fighter ... its not just the purchase cost of the fighter but running cost as well .. thundedr have smaller engines are cheap ... out of simiplicity u can compare mera ar with corolla ... thunder is mera ...

We need to replace f16s

If our corrupt leadership can justify buying a fighter jet that costs $25 million on loans while they bankrupt the country then why can't they also justify buying one at $27 million?

J10 also used a Russian engine at first...before China started using WS10.

This is exactly the point I was making...had Pak/China stuck to developing just the J10(not J10 and JF17) then both would've benefitted with economies of scale. Pak was better off going for J10 in comparison to going for JF17. However that wasn't apparent at the time to PAF when Super 7 project was started.

I always wonder about this too had Pakistan joined the J-10 program from Pakistan could gave large number of ""Chinese f-16"" without any strings attached. Just imagine what would happened if Pakistan having 250+ J-10B.
Why then PAF didn't joined the program maybe their fail to comprehend future threats or lack of fund. in late 90 when India started su-30mki program Pakistan kept bet on JF7_17 where they could try to improve relation with Russian and get license manufactured J-10 with Pakistan specific customization . A large number of J-10 A and J-10C to replace j-7 A-5 and supplements F-16 should more logistically economic and easy to maintain .

I always wonder about this too had Pakistan joined the J-10 program from Pakistan could gave large number of ""Chinese f-16"" without any strings attached. Just imagine what would happened if Pakistan having 250+ J-10B.
Why then PAF didn't joined the program maybe their fail to comprehend future threats or lack of fund. in late 90 when India started su-30mki program Pakistan kept bet on JF7_17 where they could try to improve relation with Russian and get license manufactured J-10 with Pakistan specific customization . A large number of J-10 A and J-10C to replace j-7 A-5 and supplements F-16 should more logistically economic and easy to maintain .

Hi,

Future PAF jobs---kickback---and much more---.

I think PAF still has time to go for J10C, they have to replace 50 year old Mirages
and then the the old F16's which they received in the 80's. Fifth gen planes will take
more than 10 years.

IMG_1571.JPG

Waiting for block 3 info with true Swing role capability and configuration

One sortie with capability to do swing or multi role in a single sortie

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom