What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 7]

Author's name "Mihir Shah"...that was my first clue that I shouldn't bother reading but then I gave it the benefit of the doubt and started reading...

Came across this right in the 1st paragraph
"It boasted neither the sleek lines of the F-16, nor the raw power of the MiG-29"
:hitwall::hitwall::hitwall:

Sleek lines? Wtf...it's a jet not a Lamborghini. It's design was according to the role it was designed for.

As for comparing it to the "raw power of Mig29"...whatever the f*ck "raw power" means...engine perhaps?
In that case they are powered by the same engine(RD93 being a derivative of RD33)...if anything RD93 has slightly higher thrust.

The rest of the article is filled with such inaccuracies and utter lack of knowledge. It's less of an article and more of a wet dream. No one should bother reading...idk why u posted it.

Precisely why I didn’t bother reading this garbage!

now its 6 month old news please shear what next squadron will be got thunders

Looks like last no 18 will get 12 new plus 2 b models by end of 2018

guess here but will be the end of f-7ps

The new temp shooter sqn is there till f-7p with all airframe life gone I will guess a few thousand hours for remaining f-7s in inventory pretty much like Ft-5s

Or it can be the new shooter sqn getting jf ??

Today I woke up and an idea came to my head. PAF is looking for an HMD but technology has reached a point where HMDs may become redundant.

DLP and laser projection now can easily and cheaply allow you to have a display similar to an HMD on the very canopy of the aircraft. The only issue remaining will be cuing and this can be done from the helmet. This way the problem is solved quite easily and cheaply, and the weight and complexity of the helmet stays minimal.

I'm just surprised why no one has thought of that.

Today I woke up and an idea came to my head. PAF is looking for an HMD but technology has reached a point where HMDs may become redundant.

DLP and laser projection now can easily and cheaply allow you to have a display similar to an HMD on the very canopy of the aircraft. The only issue remaining will be cuing and this can be done from the helmet. This way the problem is solved quite easily and cheaply, and the weight and complexity of the helmet stays minimal.

I'm just surprised why no one has thought of that.

So you're essentially proposing an exponentially larger 'HMD' and stating that it would solve the problems we are facing with HMDs? With ease and low costs? This is why no one has thought of it.

So you're essentially proposing an exponentially larger 'HMD' and stating that it would solve the problems we are facing with HMDs? With ease and low costs? This is why no one has thought of it.

Your sniggering tone is really uncalled for. So I'm not going to reply to it. Come back when you have a better attitude and a better grasp of the technologies and issues involved.

Your sniggering tone is really uncalled for. So I'm not going to reply to it. Come back when you have a better attitude and a better grasp of the technologies and issues involved.
Sniggers aside please answer him and take the discussion forward rather than into the field for a mudslinging fest. This is a request please.
A

Sniggers aside please answer him and take the discussion forward rather than into the field for a mudslinging fest. This is a request please.
A

A request from Araz is always most obliging. The issue with HMD projection, is that it adds weight and bulk to the helmet. The solution I've presented using DLP / Laser technology (DLP stands for Digital Light Processing) does not need to be mounted on the helmet. Meaning it frees up the issue of bulk and weight on the helmet. Projection takes place on the glass of the cockpit. The technology is commercially used and built worldwide, including in China. They are powerful enough today to be visible in daylight.

However, your cuing will still need to be done from the helmet. We are basically separating the HMS element from the HMDS conglomeration.

Limitations of this technology:

1. PAF may feel that the projection is not bright enough in high altitude open skies (this needs to be researched, tested, etc)
2. This would be a divergence from the Western solution, which is superior in that it can look even where the cockpit canopy isn't - for instance, between their legs (this is possible on the F-35 but is very buggy just now and has high latency)

Last edited:
A request from Araz is always most obliging. The issue with HMD projection, is that it adds weight and bulk to the helmet. The solution I've presented using DLP / Laser technology (DLP stands for Digital Light Processing) does not need to be mounted on the helmet. Meaning it frees up the issue of bulk and weight on the helmet. Projection takes place on the glass of the cockpit. The technology is commercially used and built worldwide, including in China. They are powerful enough today to be visible in daylight.

However, your cuing will still need to be done from the helmet. We are basically separating the HMS element from the HMDS conglomeration.

Limitations of this technology:

1. PAF may feel that the projection is not bright enough in high altitude open skies (this needs to be researched, tested, etc)
2. This would be a divergence from the Western solution, which is superior in that it can look even where the cockpit canopy isn't - for instance, between their legs (this is possible on the F-35 but is very buggy just now and has high latency)
Thank you. Iam most honoured that you think me worthy of the compliment. To take it further, cuing remains a problem and now requires 2 aspects, ie locating the object on the HUD and then cuing the helmet to direct the missile. That to me seems problematic as there are 2 different systems needing to be alligned for a shot at the target. HMDS brings it together making it easier to do so in my humble opinion. You are recommending a halfway house which is not a bad way to go. However I suspect the HMDS is round the corner rather than 5 blocks away which is why it is prudent to wait. My 2 cents worth bjt as always could be totally wrong so do correct if I have misinterpreted things.
A

Thank you. Iam most honoured that you think me worthy of the compliment. To take it further, cuing remains a problem and now requires 2 aspects, ie locating the object on the HUD and then cuing the helmet to direct the missile. That to me seems problematic as there are 2 different systems needing to be alligned for a shot at the target. HMDS brings it together making it easier to do so in my humble opinion. You are recommending a halfway house which is not a bad way to go. However I suspect the HMDS is round the corner rather than 5 blocks away which is why it is prudent to wait. My 2 cents worth bjt as always could be totally wrong so do correct if I have misinterpreted things.
A

I am not aware of how the HUD interacts with cuing, I'm sure you would know better than me about that. cheers.

Dey8VI_WAAA_bpJ.jpg

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="und" dir="ltr"> <a href="https://t.co/SVYpOp956X">pic.twitter.com/SVYpOp956X</a></p>&mdash; dafeng cao (@xinfengcao) <a href=" ">May 9, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This HMD for the J-20 looks surprisingly similar to the Striker HMD used on the Typhoon. Bilal Khan's article on Quwa speculated the Striker helmet as one of the possibilities. This J-20 revelation indicates Chinese have a equivalent which could find it's way to the JF-17 Blk-3. I hope by the time JF-17 Blk-3 is revealed they could match the helmet to Striker 2 version.

Last edited:
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="und" dir="ltr"> <a href="https://t.co/SVYpOp956X">pic.twitter.com/SVYpOp956X</a></p>&mdash; dafeng cao (@xinfengcao) <a href=" ">May 9, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This HMD for the J-20 looks surprisingly similar to the Striker HMD used on the Typhoon. Bilal Khan's article on Quwa speculated the Striker helmet as one of the possibilities. This J-20 revelation indicates Chinese have a equivalent which could find it's way to the JF-17 Blk-3. I hope by the time JF-17 Blk-3 is revealed they could match the helmet to Striker 2 version.

A good addition but then it needs testing to see how good it is. Remember there have been quite a few Chinese products which the PAF has chosen not to adopt instead opting for Western equivalents. It will be tested and provided found to be good and the Chinese are willing to sell, will be adopted for use on JFT. The next thing will be an HOBS missile.

A

Back
Top Bottom