What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 7]

23844471_1459388174168472_1569027102493012245_n.jpg

I think the oil leakage problem has been addressed on the newer models by extending the drain pipe away from the body, visible just behind the wheel.

jf-17-thunder.jpg

I think the oil leakage problem has been addressed on the newer models by extending the drain pipe away from the body, visible just behind the wheel.

When the oil is replenished in the engine, the drain expel the excess.
It is a frecuent problem of the amount of replacement oil.
Years ago, during a commercial flight I detected an oil leak in a Boeing 737-200 engine.
I notified the stewardess and the co-pilot came to check.
He explained the cause I am telling.

I supose is the same thing in military engines.

Regards

Jee you guys it's not a big deal. It's not oil leak. Every jet engine upon shutdown "leaks" oil because most of the bearing used in turbines are sealed by air. When there is no airflow sealing the bearings on shut down, they "leak" in drip pan and out the engine. PAF mechanics are just lazy. It should be wiped clean after each flight on post-flight checks but they don't do it and now it's caked on the cowling

Jee you guys it's not a big deal. It's not oil leak. Every jet engine upon shutdown "leaks" oil because most of the bearing used in turbines are sealed by air. When there is no airflow sealing the bearings on shut down, they "leak" in drip pan and out the engine. PAF mechanics are just lazy. It should be wiped clean after each flight on post-flight checks but they don't do it and now it's caked on the cowling
There should be more to it than only engine shut down. When the engine is shut down, the airplane would likely be stationary or not at a speed at which oil streaks towards the exhaust. This must have something to do with aircraft operation at a high enough a speed so that the oil streaks like this.

Hi,

Thank you for telling it like it is---. You gave a MECHANICAL explanation of the issue---and there are idiots who still don't understand the PHYSICS behind the leak---and trying to justify with REASON.

Hi,

Thank you for telling it like it is---. You gave a MECHANICAL explanation of the issue---and there are idiots who still don't understand the PHYSICS behind the leak---and trying to justify with REASON.
Thanks. Back in my aviation days i had my share of cleaning 737-800 engine cowlings of oil

And for those who still have doubts. Read this.

"The exhaust from the air/oil separator goes out here. Usually hot air, but when the engine is running at idle you can see smoke coming out. This is engine oil that has got past the seals. The smoke stops as the engine speeds up, the air pressure increases, and the seals work properly.

Also in the main body of the mast are four holes. These are tell tale drains from various parts of the gearbox. They drain out the cavity between the accessories (starter, fuel pump, hyd pump etc.) and the gearbox."

https://aviation.stackexchange.com/...ion-of-the-protruding-outlet-on-the-trent-xwb

--------------------------------

I think it was just a poor drain hole design, and like someone previously mentioned it has been fixed with a new longer drain.

Windy posted a picture with it

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom