What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 7]

Fingers crossed...

Screenshot_20170909-002025.png

SD 10 or Anti Radiation Missile ?
Sd-10A

One of the engineers in the show said that JF-17 is a 3.5-4 generation aircraft. What did he mean by that can some one explain i.e. it's aerodynamics are in between a 3 and fourth generation aircraft or the avionics etc. I always thought that JF-17 was a 4-4.5 generation aircraft.

Or was he referring to the Chinese categorization, but that does not make sense because fourth generation aircrafts are the J-20 and J-31

One of the engineers in the show said that JF-17 is a 3.5-4 generation aircraft. What did he mean by that can some one explain i.e. it's aerodynamics are in between a 3 and fourth generation aircraft or the avionics etc. I always thought that JF-17 was a 4-4.5 generation aircraft.

Or was he referring to the Chinese categorization, but that does not make sense because fourth generation aircrafts are the J-20 and J-31
He is referring to Chinese designation and western designation simultaneously - simply because these designations are not well versed with them as such

EEC is Electronic Engine Control. The 'D' is the digital upgrade.

Full Authority Digital Engine Control ( FADEC ) is essentially the engine is out of all manual input from the cockpit. Be careful in understanding the word 'input' here. Throttle is a command, not an input.

In the old days, the pilot has to monitor factors like altitude, airspeed, fuel mixture, elevation at takeoff/landing, and barometric pressure, then uses the throttle according experience. With FADEC, the engine, or more precisely the 'brain' of the engine, does all of that. All the pilot does is command -- throttle. The engine then take all those factors and adjust engine parameters to accommodate that command.

There are no direct connections from cockpit to engine such as rigid mechanical linkages like push-pull rods or flexible mechanical linkages like cables. The throttle have an advanced version of the potentiometer or transducer, to use those electronic devices loosely as examples, that sends throttle position to the EEC, which then with the mentioned factors tries to make the engine as efficient as possible according to throttle setting. Hence, the phrase 'Full Authority'.

If the EEC fail, the engine will not run. If the engine got battle damage or ingest something that damaged it, for a couple examples, the EEC will to its best to accommodate throttle command. All the cockpit will know is that something is wrong thru fluctuating rpm, unfamiliar noises, oil pressure drops, etc. But there is nothing the cockpit can do.
so in simple words it's like shifting from a manual transmission to an automatic transmission in car.

if its 13th AC 2p47, i would assume that by December 16th would be assembled i.e 100 ACs would be completed. what would happen in 2018, as i doubt block 3 is going to start production in 2018 as per previous interviews 2019-20 time frame devised

Paf building additional block 2 in 2018 and if I remember correctly per Alan Warren it's was block 2 dual seater to fill the gap between block 2 and 3 but need to find his article from aw&st To confirm, otherwise they may be single seaters but I think it's dual seater so 12 dual seaters plus 2 dual seaters in 2017 from catic will get Total 14 dual seaters

May be international order will also be completed in 2018 build part as production is assumed to be around 20 plus ~24-26

In 2017, PAC will build 14 single-seater JF-17s to complete the 50 aircraft ordered in JF-17 Block-2 status, the production of which commenced in December 2013: “We can increase our output even further to cope with future exports,” AM Malik added. On the export front, the Nigerian media recently announced that the Nigerian Air Force had ordered three JF-17s, but no further details are known.

Last edited:
He is referring to Chinese designation and western designation simultaneously - simply because these designations are not well versed with them as such

Thanks man. I hope you're right. That was very confusing

Twin seater

if its 13th AC 2p47, i would assume that by December 16th would be assembled i.e 100 ACs would be completed. what would happen in 2018, as i doubt block 3 is going to start production in 2018 as per previous interviews 2019-20 time frame devised

If JF-17B PT-1 takes first flight in April and enters production on 2018, then for a 2019 production run of Block 3, it makes sense that we should see Block 3 PT-1 take flight in the April 2018 timeframe.

EXCEPT, CAC/PAC had announced first flight of B by April 2016 and we have yet to hear such an announcement for Block 3.

Here are the possibilities. Block 3 is very similar to B version. This seems plausible given a photoshoped image shared by @fatman17 which shows they are considering the possibility of using B as a base for Block 3. In that case, a production run for B version is also good news for Block 3, because PAC infrastructure will go through any upgrades needed and personnel will get the training for making longer nose cones, swept back tail, larger wings etc. At that point, getting the new radar/avionics will lie on the critical path. They may even start producing the base airframes and get pilots flying on them, while waiting for the goodies to arrive.

The other possibility is that Block 3 ID some super secret Rafale killer which is being kept under wraps until India is fully committed to Rafale, that is, they actually arrive on the sub-continent in Indian colors.

And the last possibility is that CAC/PAC believe in taking up one project at a time. So they will concentrate on developing B version fully, then start on Block 3 with lessons learnt. In that case, I'd expect to hear concrete news about PT-1 of Block 3 around 2018 timeframe, with first flight within a year.

If JF-17B PT-1 takes first flight in April and enters production on 2018, then for a 2019 production run of Block 3, it makes sense that we should see Block 3 PT-1 take flight in the April 2018 timeframe.

EXCEPT, CAC/PAC had announced first flight of B by April 2016 and we have yet to hear such an announcement for Block 3.

Here are the possibilities. Block 3 is very similar to B version. This seems plausible given a photoshoped image shared by @fatman17 which shows they are considering the possibility of using B as a base for Block 3. In that case, a production run for B version is also good news for Block 3, because PAC infrastructure will go through any upgrades needed and personnel will get the training for making longer nose cones, swept back tail, larger wings etc. At that point, getting the new radar/avionics will lie on the critical path. They may even start producing the base airframes and get pilots flying on them, while waiting for the goodies to arrive.

The other possibility is that Block 3 ID some super secret Rafale killer which is being kept under wraps until India is fully committed to Rafale, that is, they actually arrive on the sub-continent in Indian colors.

And the last possibility is that CAC/PAC believe in taking up one project at a time. So they will concentrate on developing B version fully, then start on Block 3 with lessons learnt. In that case, I'd expect to hear concrete news about PT-1 of Block 3 around 2018 timeframe, with first flight within a year.
The beauty of the JFT project has been the policy of making adjustments / improvements as the project progresses forward, therefore we never really know what the final product will look like. strategic ambiguity.

Back
Top Bottom