What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 7]

If it was up to Pak they would go for a PW or GE engine.

While the soviet engine made sense on the first variants, for the block 3 hopefully they get something better.

people need to understand yes we need a medium multi role fighter Yes Jf-17 is not a great bird but it is good enough J-10 would have been good for PAF 7 years ago not now buying new plane it's need training money and 5 to 6 year time which is not sensible and as for JF-17 why don't people under because of it we have aeronautical industry that's is more beneficial for us else we still be buying planes from china.JF-17 is good but it would be better with few updates like new engine with more thrust helmet mounted sight and AESA radar which are coming with new block

PAF can not acquire J-10 now in 5 to 6 year time period 5th generation plane are coming so we need to save money to buy J-31 that will work for US And

AS IAF goes i don't even know what the hell they are thing off they are have M-29 mirage 2000 SU-29 Mig-21 and rafales that is a mess on it's on right because you have too many planes to maintain and you don't make them in your own country

Last edited:
Burmese JF-17

19106053_328201430949055_7156426258581409807_n (1).jpg

Hi,

On the low side---it would be 12 mil---on the high side it would be 20 mil difference.

Hi,

So---what are your personal / professional considerations / opinions in the JF17 scenario where the life of the european engine maybe longer that that of the structural life of the aircraft in question?
12-20 million dollar difference? That could make the jet 40+ million dollars!

This is incorrect.
I am not aware of 'total life' !! Proper term is service life.
EJ-200 and variants have a service life of 5500 hrs. This is because it is a low-bypass, 8C/2T engine. It has less stages therefore higher service life & easy to maintain vs RD (4 lo+9 hi compress) & AL-31/41 engines. Nothing to do with poor metallurgy etc etc. Other way round, russian metallurgy is equivalent if not better than western counterparts.

Interesting point. I looked at the price of the RD93 and the EJ200. The former was quoted at 2.5 million and the latter at 12.5 million.However when you are looking at 4000 hours total life vs 40000 hours the Maths starts making sense. Which makes me ask the next question that if it was the case why did we go for the RD series in the first place when the prospect of 2-500 engines would have enticed anyone into selling.
A

Hi,

On the retail side---the BLK 2 is around 28-30 mil---the blk3 with aesa be around 35-40 mil a piece.

So---the J10 compared to blk 3 would be around 50-60 mil a piece.

Thanks for the information.

It's good that the fighter is advancing in terms of technology, but I hope we still produce lower end JF-17's and push for exporting them to poor countries (after we replace all our mirages and fishbeds of course).

If it was up to Pak they would go for a PW or GE engine.
Not possible even for EU engine:disagree:
While the soviet engine made sense on the first variants, for the block 3 hopefully they get something better.
Chinese WS-13E:china: or RD-93MA and PAF is quite satisfied of the performance of RD-93

This is incorrect.
I am not aware of 'total life' !! Proper term is service life.
EJ-200 and variants have a service life of 5500 hrs. This is because it is a low-bypass, 8C/2T engine. It has less stages therefore higher service life & easy to maintain vs RD (4 lo+9 hi compress) & AL-31/41 engines. Nothing to do with poor metallurgy etc etc. Other way round, russian metallurgy is equivalent if not better than western counterparts.

Madam what about things like heat signature, fuel efficiency, radar footprint? Engine rotating blades are prime spots for detectio. Also, for example, GE is trying out its CMC technology on the F404. This will lead to longer service life, lower weight, tolerance for higher temperatures, and evfn reduced radar signature. These type of bleeding edge advancements are usually found on European/American engines first. Also, we know that the Indians have classically had serious problems with SU-30 engines. And PAC is looking towards French companies for repairing high temperature harnesses on RD-93. Clearly the quality of the harness is not up to mark?

Back
Top Bottom