What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 6]

Status
Not open for further replies.
And depending on operating range. You cannot expect something limited to operate in a specific band to miraculously jump to another.
Quiet right. I think you mean frequency here by range. When going for a mission, so obviously you've a target area and EW system is I would say optimized rather than limited for that threat than others

The XL was also a whole new aircraft, that sort of changes will drive up the costs for an aircraft like the JF-17 where "affordable and cost-effective" starts to be a less believable term.

Sure, such development takes resources, but the point is that re-winging can be done if warranted, just as a new engine can be implanted.

Talking of Electronic Warfare, some very respectable members are quite confident that it does carry an internal jammer but as far as I have understood from various interviews is that it needs to carry an external pod and does not have an internal jammer( at least in block 1). What's your say on this. Does it (or will) it have an internal jammer?

So it's nowhere close to ICMS that Indian mirages have. Specially, the ICMS 4 they are upgrading to.

But it will be upon customer request? as PAF only wants a single seat one. More over, PAF is I think! only looking to acquire:
150 JF-17s
150 F-16s Block 15
18 F-16s Block 52
My estimates are that only 100 will be the F 16 MLU (may be some of them will get V upgrade) ...150 is too high

Does anyone know the time line for JF 17 production ?

Until what year JF. 17 will be produced?

After JF 17 what aircraft will be manufactured in Pakistan?

So it's nowhere close to ICMS that Indian mirages have. Specially, the ICMS 4 they are upgrading to.

you should know the ICMS series is a basic set of EW provisions meant to provide a means to counter air to air threat primarily. From what i know, the basic chinese internal jammer covered that area but the replacement did a better job. As Oscar said, countering surface to air threats including high power radars and other EW solutions call for a seperate jammer, a complete unit covering necessary EW bands/ provisions with multitarget engagement capability. This is why the yanks came up with a "wild weasel" concept, dedicated radiation source hunters equipped with related gizmos.

The point being, if you are expecting ICMS xxx or jf-17 internal jammers to fulfill that role, it is not possible.

you should know the ICMS series is a basic set of EW provisions meant to provide a means to counter air to air threat primarily. From what i know, the basic chinese internal jammer covered that area but the replacement did a better job. As Oscar said, countering surface to air threats including high power radars and other EW solutions call for a seperate jammer, a complete unit covering necessary EW bands/ provisions with multitarget engagement capability. This is why the yanks came up with a "wild weasel" concept, dedicated radiation source hunters equipped with related gizmos.

The point being, if you are expecting ICMS xxx or jf-17 internal jammers to fulfill that role, it is not possible.

I might be wrong but I remember reading that during kargil they were able to disrupt some ground based radar. Again I might be wrong...

I obviously don't expect it to be in the class of wide weasel but to be able to break locks, disrupt track be it from airborne or ground based radars. Such a capability along with AESA would be the most useful enhancement in it's capabilities.

Last edited:
CAC has an export version of 5th gen
CF-4th-9ton.jpg

may be its jf-17 block3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom