What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Oscar sorry for a noob question but did PAF get any JF-17 block2 aircrafts as of now?? How many block2 and block3 will be produced in all?? also what 'enhanced features' they have which block1 haven't got(other than refuling pod afaik).

If i may answer

*No Block 2 is yet manufactured let alone PAF inducting it
*50 Block 2 will be eventually produced,Order for block 3 is not placed yet.Though could be again 50
*Apart from IFR,Improvement into the avionics(+Klj-7 tweaked with radar range of 130km source Kanwa news,PAF official) And few more weapon integration such as Cm-400akg,(MAA-1B?)

there should be JFT videos coming out virtually every week to create a buzz, This is what you get when something as serious as marketing, sales and PR is left to the yes sirs no sirs.

Should we call it being ignorant on part of marketing team at CAC/PAC having money in pockets yet they did not come up with a proper marketing video like SAAB for Gripen, Boeing for F-18s, By Mikoyan for Mig-35 and so on.

Should we call it being ignorant on part of marketing team at CAC/PAC having money in pockets yet they did not come up with a proper marketing video like SAAB for Gripen, Boeing for F-18s, By Mikoyan for Mig-35 and so on.
Unfortunately all businesses have a customer acquisition cost. The glossies and the media packages are produced for a reason. Going to Dubai is part of the same process, demonstrating the jet in the air is to get the attention of buyers and when they go home - they forget the demonstration unless they have been given a media package - glossies, photographs, videos, pdfs, animations on disk and memory sticks in a nice box set for example would help them seek further information, and then sell the jet to those countries looking for a cost effective system.

Unfortunately all businesses have a customer acquisition cost. The glossies and the media packages are produced for a reason. Going to Dubai is part of the same process, demonstrating the jet in the air is to get the attention of buyers and when they go home - they forget the demonstration unless they have been given a media package - glossies, photographs, videos, pdfs, animations on disk and memory sticks in a nice box set for example would help them seek further information, and then sell the jet to those countries looking for a cost effective system.

That is where PAF is gareeb and CAC is greedy to let go spend some money for good cause, that is why I called them ignorant they want things to sell but they don't want to spend a dime.

Techincally, this is an extremely bullshyt idea to export JF-17 when the aims of the program, i.e. Equipping PAF, have been not been met FULLY.

Only then should PAC/CAC seek to export it.

But then again, desi mentality of making quick money. *sigh*

Techincally, this is an extremely bullshyt idea to export JF-17 when the aims of the program, i.e. Equipping PAF, have been not been met FULLY.

I don't think PAF would allow sales unless their needs are met first, I too would like to see 5-6 squadrons in service before we talk about export.

But it seems fine to me right about now.
Remember there was talk of ramping up production capability at Kamra? If that's been done to sufficient level, I don't see anything wrong in exports.

Besides, even if an order comes through, MoU signed, then negotiations, then talks, delays, then production outlines and more talks, it takes 2-3 years minimum. In the mean time PAF could have it's orders filled and even when the time comes for export, PAF could still use most of the production floor for it's needs, I doubt we're going to see any big order soon anyway.

Pakistan will be in a position to sell jf-17 only when WS-13 engine is available....period.

I don't think PAF would allow sales unless their needs are met first, I too would like to see 5-6 squadrons in service before we talk about export.

But it seems fine to me right about now.
Remember there was talk of ramping up production capability at Kamra? If that's been done to sufficient level, I don't see anything wrong in exports.

Besides, even if an order comes through, MoU signed, then negotiations, then talks, delays, then production outlines and more talks, it takes 2-3 years minimum. In the mean time PAF could have it's orders filled and even when the time comes for export, PAF could still use most of the production floor for it's needs, I doubt we're going to see any big order soon anyway.

See, that's where the problem lies. PAF doesn't even have 3 squadrons up. PAF should first get it's requirements met 100%, and only then consider exporting the fighter.

Combat aircraft are not like automobiles, that whichever country wants it, can export them at it's will.
Even if PAC (Pakistan Aeronautical Complex) makes the sales, what about the support to the JF-17 in service with other nations? That's like 20-30 years of technical support with spares, training etc. What if, a nation, let's say Egypt chooses to induct JF-17, but then due to whatever reason is slapped by international sanctions? Pakistan or any Pakistani company in that case cannot transact with that sanctioned nation.

Remember, recently HP was caught selling IT and Computer services to Iran through it's shadow companies. This is just basic computer hardware. But even then, once caught, they were heavily fined.

In case of JF-17, we are talking about a combat aircraft, an aircraft that can kill.

So unless PAF has a dedicated team to plan with a clear vision, this export of JF-17 is a flawed narrative.

Yes, JF-17 is a very good aircraft. It can replace all those Mig 21/23/27 and perhaps the Older Mig29's in many nations' arsenal, but the questions is, can PAF/PAC support the exports for years to come?

Companies like Lockheed Martin, Boeing, Dassault, MIG/Sukhoi have their nations back behind them, all of which are members of the UN Security Council, and thus can muster the strength to sell their weapons. We cannot. That's the simple fact of it.

JF-17 was designed to be used by PAF. Any export customer requiring this aircraft, would need to get it's pilots trained, in which case the only option is to let PAF pilots/air men train, at the expense of their own combat flying training. Do you think it is a wise idea?

I'd say, in my personal opinion, that PAF must first absorb JF-17 fully in it's arsenal, wait at least until 2017 to offer the jet for export.

From the looks of it, PAF officers seem to be getting carried away with the notion of 'low cost, cost effective, cheap, bla bla fighter aircraft'. Truth is, no body gives a damn if the aircraft that killed you was cost effective or not.

JF-17 is a light weight, multi-role combat aircraft for PAF.

That's it.

Reactions: HRK
Last edited:

PAF is matching the production rate with retiring rate of F-7 and mirages. It has been said many times before.
Current production rate of 17/year aircraft is more than enough to fullfill PAF requirments.
PAC can produce at the rate of 25/year, meaning 7/year aircraft can be made for exports.

PAF is matching the production rate with retiring rate of F-7 and mirages. It has been said many times before.
Current production rate of 17/year aircraft is more than enough to fullfill PAF requirments.
PAC can produce at the rate of 25/year, meaning 7/year aircraft can be made for exports.

PAC currently producing 16 aircraft per year.

If the rate can go up, it should be for PAF. Not for exports.

If i may answer

*Apart from IFR,Improvement into the avionics(+Klj-7 tweaked with radar range of 130km source Kanwa news,PAF official) And few more weapon integration such as Cm-400akg,(MAA-1B?)

Kanwa article mentioned 130km for current block, not block 2.

CM-400 is being integrated with other weapons/ sensors.

JF-17-Thunder.jpg

Kanwa article mentioned 130km for current block, not block 2.

CM-400 is being integrated with other weapons/ sensors.
Isn't 130 KM maximum detection range for KLJ-7??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom