What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
alimobin memon
can any one tell me whether blk II will have modified design and tell me the specs.

is it true..as i heard that jf-17 block 2nd is in testing stages.

and if it is in testing stages then i dnt think the 2nd block will have AESa or the new engine i mean the ws-13 or any engine with +90 thrrust max.

thanx in advance for answering this

Most probably yes ,because the first block will comprise of just 50 aircrafts.

And AESA will be incorporated in 3rd block and there are no signs of incorporating a new engine in block 2 as PAF is satisfied with the performance of RD-93 ,if engines changes will be required it will most probably be in block 3 not block 2

block 2 will contain minor changes not the major ones ,Block 2 will most likely have IFR, BVR capability (although there have been rumors of block 1 being also bvr capable) and IRST with other minor improvements in avionics

20101113153214974134.jpg

Just noticed the wing modification on JFT wings as it seems two ailerons are joined together by a metal strip.. Interesting

Block 1 is already BVR capable..

A little news piece i found but seems interesting as it is related to JFT and talks about possible capabilities anticipated by Russians to be incorporated into it. Pretty close to what it has today.......

"Chinese sources have claimed that the FC-1's combat effectiveness will be over 70 per cent of that of modern Western third generation fighter aircraft such as the F-16 (which its redesign makes it superficially resemble). However, this improved capability has also increased its export price by over 35 per cent. Consequently, nations interested in FC-1 purchases, such as Pakistan which is co-funding the design and hopes to procure about 150, have requested its adoption by the PLAAF to lower overall procurement costs. The FC-1's original design has probably benefited from a subsequent infusion of significant new Russian and Western technology. One unconfirmed report indicates that the FC-1 could have an advanced real-time multiple sensor data-fusion and inter-aircraft data-link/sharing capability made possible by the use of eight 64-bit processor computers in its avionics suite. Other advanced systems reportedly being integrated in the FC-1 include look-down shoot-down targeting, night combat capabilities, track-while-scan, and electronic jamming systems.
Reportedly, China has received Russian Mikoyan OKB assistance in the redesign of the FC-1 new generation fighter aircraft (with the integration of MiG-29/33 technologies), which could see wide PLAAF deployment by 2000 as an alternative to upgrading the near obsolete J-7II and J-7III inventory. The FC-1 could also employ Russian designed aero-engines (RD-93 or AL-31), radar systems (Kapyo) and missiles (R-27) transferred with the Su-27. One report from 1998 indicated that Russia was offering a lightweight close-air-combat
'Product 33' fighter powered by a single RD-33 aero-engine used to power the MiG-29, and similar in appearance to the US F-16, as a
complete solution for the FC-1 Three European suppliers have reportedly bid on the FC-1 radar contract since 1997: GEC-Marconi's Bluehawk or Super Skyranger; Alenia's Grifo S7 with the Aspide AAM system; and Thomson-CSF/Sagem's RC-400. Russia has also offered the Kopyo radar. Preliminary statistics for the FC-1 are a top speed of mach 1.6 at 16,500 m, and a maximum take-off weight of 12,700 kg. A unit cost range of US$15-25 million
has been suggested by various sources.

LINK
http://www.aeronautics.ru/archive/research...n%20Systems.pdf

Here i got a Jf-17 schedule thought of sharing it with you guys

101 and 102
3 march 2006

103 to 108
February 2007

109 to 110
July 2009 and start pak production

111 to 116
Oct- dec 2009

117 to 129

A little news piece i found but seems interesting as it is related to JFT and talks about possible capabilities anticipated by Russians to be incorporated into it. Pretty close to what it has today.......

"Chinese sources have claimed that the FC-1's combat effectiveness will be over 70 per cent of that of modern Western third generation fighter aircraft such as the F-16 (which its redesign makes it superficially resemble). However, this improved capability has also increased its export price by over 35 per cent. Consequently, nations interested in FC-1 purchases, such as Pakistan which is co-funding the design and hopes to procure about 150, have requested its adoption by the PLAAF to lower overall procurement costs. The FC-1's original design has probably benefited from a subsequent infusion of significant new Russian and Western technology. One unconfirmed report indicates that the FC-1 could have an advanced real-time multiple sensor data-fusion and inter-aircraft data-link/sharing capability made possible by the use of eight 64-bit processor computers in its avionics suite. Other advanced systems reportedly being integrated in the FC-1 include look-down shoot-down targeting, night combat capabilities, track-while-scan, and electronic jamming systems.
Reportedly, China has received Russian Mikoyan OKB assistance in the redesign of the FC-1 new generation fighter aircraft (with the integration of MiG-29/33 technologies), which could see wide PLAAF deployment by 2000 as an alternative to upgrading the near obsolete J-7II and J-7III inventory. The FC-1 could also employ Russian designed aero-engines (RD-93 or AL-31), radar systems (Kapyo) and missiles (R-27) transferred with the Su-27. One report from 1998 indicated that Russia was offering a lightweight close-air-combat
'Product 33' fighter powered by a single RD-33 aero-engine used to power the MiG-29, and similar in appearance to the US F-16, as a
complete solution for the FC-1 Three European suppliers have reportedly bid on the FC-1 radar contract since 1997: GEC-Marconi's Bluehawk or Super Skyranger; Alenia's Grifo S7 with the Aspide AAM system; and Thomson-CSF/Sagem's RC-400. Russia has also offered the Kopyo radar. Preliminary statistics for the FC-1 are a top speed of mach 1.6 at 16,500 m, and a maximum take-off weight of 12,700 kg. A unit cost range of US$15-25 million
has been suggested by various sources.

LINK
http://www.aeronautics.ru/archive/research...n Systems.pdf

very very old article but still reading worthy

nabil..lets confirm that for you..
The processor on the JF is already fusing sensor data from two different sensors at this time..
The KJL..and the EW suite...all dumping data on the mil-bus...
When the IRST comes in.. it will be seamlessly integrated into the system via the mil-bus...

Last edited:
I know what sensor and data fusion is and how it is being done on modern fighters including JFT but thanks for confirmation bro. The reason of posting was just to highlight the fact that even before its birth, it was giving sleepless nights to Russians. :P

I know what sensor and data fusion is and how it is being done on modern fighters including JFT but thanks for confirmation bro. The reason of posting was just to highlight the fact that even before its birth, it was giving sleepless nights to Russians. :P

Just the Russians?? :azn:

Can some body tell me the RCS of JF-17 ??
Before the DSI change it was stated to be some where around 3m2-5m2
plus we did use limited composites in its airframe
plus its also small in size
so what is the RCS of this fighter??
Thanks in advance

Can some body tell me the RCS of JF-17 ??
Before the DSI change it was stated to be some where around 3m2-5m2
plus we did use limited composites in its airframe
plus its also small in size
so what is the RCS of this fighter??
Thanks in advance

No body would tell you that as no one knows (or wouldn't reveal even if one is aware) so there is no use of asking. It is only anticipated to be 1m2 or somewhere around. Probably less than 1m2 is the more talked value.

Last edited:
nothing on something akin to a spectra's rumored active cancellation..
also no ELINT banks on the JF..
Adding them may not be impossible.. but would require a lot of extra work..and an increase in weight.. for something that may not be needed operationally.. especially for a fighter whose costs have to be kept down.

Multiple threat warning sensors exist.. and all are fused into the situation display on the right MFD(swappable to the left if needed)..

Work on JFT EW began in Pakistan even before other avionics, WMMC, radar, MFDs etc. The reason for asking French for a customized version of SPECTRA that i disclosed here was because we, and Chinese, are already working on similar technology, advanced algorithms to significantly reduce incoming threats, RCS, heat plumb etc. This EW system is ready to be tested and will be incorporated in second batch onwards. It is not as complicated as SPECTRA but significantly reduces the threat to JFT. Even current block has a better version of complete EW, very similar to what the Chinese J-10a uses, SE-2 (JFT Missile Approach & Warning System) is absent in J-10a but visible in J-10b, J-11b etc. I can tell u that JFT has least RCS among all PAF fighter fleet inventory, cant go any further on this ........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom