What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
No Sir, but every article and every piece of news has somthing to extract....what you think ?

I thought you were part of the team because you posted it without giving any reference. So I thought it was your material, hence I asked.

Last edited:
i say the more time we give our FC-20 to develop the more better it will be for us but that does not mean 10-15 years! i mean in 4-5 years time frame the technology should be par with IAF 4.5 generation fleet due to technology evolution.

Why in Peshawar? Seems like a bit far away from India. So either they don't want it tested against India in combat or are going to use it against militants.

Sorry if seems like a bad question, I don't know the location of forward active bases :D

Why in Peshawar? Seems like a bit far away from India. So either they don't want it tested against India in combat or are going to use it against militants.

Sorry if seems like a bad question, I don't know the location of forward active bases :D

I think the sole reason is that they wanted to replace A5 first. It is the most outdated fromtline plane. Notorious to fly and indeed it helps when you far away from your opponent but also handy when you can do some practice. Just compare that with why EF2000 and Rafale had their time in Afghanistan... Purely to test under realistic scenario's... Do remind that we have testes a2g first.

There are two parts to your question.

1. Why in Peshawar?

Because we need to replace the A-5, which are really old planes.

2. Maybe they don't want it tested against India

JF-17 has a fairly long range, so using them against India wouldn't be a problem. Also peace-time location and war-time locations may not be the same so the question becomes irrelevant.

Here's the detailed Ceremony report

With singing of an agreement between Pakistan Air Force and Chinese firm CATIC the serial production of JF‑17 (Thunder) aircraft would start soon. The agreement between PAF and CATIC on the basis of “seller’s credit” was reached at a ceremony held here Saturday, whereby 42 fighter jets would be jointly produced for the use of PAF.

The agreement was signed on behalf of PAF by Chairman Pakistan Aeronautical Complex Air Marshal Khalid Chaudary and President CATIC MA Zhiping which was witnessed by Chief of the Air Staff PAF Air Chief Marshal Tanvir Mahmood Ahmed and Ambassador of China to Pakistan Luo Zhaohui besides other senior officials from both the parties. Under the agreement the lot of 42 aircraft would be co‑manufactured by China and Pakistan and later these would be inducted in the PAF’s fleet. By 2015 PAF will get 250 JF-17s at cost of US 3000 millions. Though Pakistan is facing a financial crunch, the serial production of the aircraft is being started with the cooperation of the Chinese government, Mahmood said. Pakistan has invested USD 600 million in the JF-17 project.

Talking to media, Air Chief Marshal Tanvir Mehmood Ahmed congratulated the peoples and governments of Pakistan and China on conduction of successful tests and trails of the most modern aircraft of its class and signing of agreement for start of their serial production. He said “despite all odds we have been successful to reach the stage of starting serial production of the aircraft.” “In the beginning we will produce 15 aircraft annually and their number will increase to 30 in a year ‑ this programme will be carried out in phases,” he said. He said that PAF will get 40 JF-17 thunders this year.

He said first squadron of these highest quality fighter jets would be inducted in the PAF’s fleet by mid of this year as PAF has already been using 8 jointly produced aircraft for the last couple of years. This fleet would be raised in Peshawar, he added.

About the delivery of AWACS system to Pakistan, he said that agreement had already been reached with a Chinese firm which would start its delivery by 2010. On the delivery of first AWACS system Pakistan would pay 10 % cost of the aircraft while the rest would be paid on easy installments basis, he said.

Answering a question, he said the agreement between Pakistan and China for the delivery of High‑Tech aircraft J‑10 was intact and these aircraft after improving them further would be delivered to PAF in 2014‑15. He said these aircraft are being modernized in accordance with the PAF’s requirements and delivered under the title of FC‑20.
President CATIC MA Zhiping told the media “first aircraft under this agreement would fly in the Pakistani air during this year.” He said the joint venture between CATIC and PAF will go a long way forward in the aviation history. Ambassador of China to Pakistan LUO Zhaohui said the JF-17 fighter jet is another milestone achieved in furthering the bilateral relations between the nations of Pakistan and China. “It is a big day for both the countries,” he said. He made special mention of Pakistan’s support to China on different issues of world repute and said the whole Chinese nation is thankful and mindful of Pakistan’s support.

“We are cooperating in every sector and this speaks our deepest rooted friendship and bonds,” he said. The JF-17 Project is a unique programme in the sense that it distinguishes the Pakistan Air Force from any other Air Forces of the world as a manufacturer of fighter aircraft. The JF-17 aircraft has been specifically designed to meet the operation requirements of Pakistan Air Force. Apart from becoming the mainstay of PAF’s air operations in the near future, the JF-17 Thunder aircraft re‑assures abilities to gain self‑reliance and offers an excellent opportunity for laying the foundations of an advanced and offers an excellent opportunity for laying the foundations of an advanced aviation industry in Pakistan.

The JF-17 Thunder co-development and co-production programme was formally launched in 1998. Major mile-stones of the project for development and production of the aircraft were divided in three stages. The detailed design of the aircraft was finalized in September, 2001 and the first prototype aircraft flew its maiden flight in a record short time of two years. the second prototype flew in April, 2004 and subsequently, two additional flying prototypes of the JF-17 aircraft were also manufactured in the following years to conduct flight testing of JF-17 aircraft. Following the successful progress of flight trails on prototype JF-17 aircraft, eight Small Batch Production aircraft were manufactured in year-2007, which were subjected to extensive flight testing and evaluation in the last two years in Pakistan.

This activity helped PAF in maturing the design of JF-17 Thunder aircraft. The experience gained on these aircraft has been extremely encouraging and it is a matter of great satisfaction for us that we are now progressing to the serial production phase of JF‑17 aircraft with full confidence. In serial Production Phase, qualified JF-17 aircraft will be produced in PAC Kamra for induction in Pakistan Air Force where they will be fully utilized in various combat roles. This would not only help Pakistan Air Force in fulfilling its operational requirements at affordable costs but also ensure readily available and continued technical and logistic support for these aircraft through out their life cycle.

JF‑17 Thunder Project is an outcome of the vision, friendship and mutual cooperation between the friendly countries of Pakistan and China. The Project has now moved out of ‘development and testing’ phase to the full operationalisation phase. The journey to this stage has been arduous and challenging: however, this has only been possible through the persistent hard work and dedication of designers, engineers, pilots and programme managers of Pakistan Air Force along with Chinese partners, and above all the blessings of Almighty Allah. In the shape of JF-17 Thunder aircraft, PAF is proceeding to have a modern fighter aircraft with state-of-the-art avionics and weapons that offers multi-role day and night precision attack capability to defend our motherland against any aggression.

Taken from : ASIAN DEFENCE: PAF to start serial production of JF-17 Thunder fighter aircraft soon

The CATIC president's remarks is interesting " first aircraft will fly in this year"...JF-17 or J-10?????

We already have JF-17 flying and CAS has already said 15 will be manufactured here this year.

Further he uses the words , "under this agreement"..so J-10 now and FC-20 later

Last edited:
Congratulations to Pakistan and PAF.

So we have started serial Productions as well and we will get AWACS & J-10 (advance Versions May be of J-XX Class) from China.

:china::pakistan::china::pakistan:

awesome news, alhamdulillah, im very happy with the agreement. Inshallah this will help strengthen PAF further.:enjoy::pakistan::china:

hats off to China for their support:pakistan::china:

guys but i was thinking of the delivery of FC-20's, yes i know they r goin to be modified according to PAF's requirement but dont u guys think that 2014-2015 is a long time?

Can any member please answer my question?

Guys I have posted the detailed news in the JF-17 sticky thread

It seems that we will get the J-10 this year and the FC-20 in 2014-15. Or atleast that is what I made out of the news. Check it out yourself.

Answering a question, he said the agreement between Pakistan and China for the delivery of High‑Tech aircraft J‑10 was intact and these aircraft after improving them further would be delivered to PAF in 2014‑15. He said these aircraft are being modernized in accordance with the PAF’s requirements and delivered under the title of FC‑20.
President CATIC MA Zhiping told the media “first aircraft under this agreement would fly in the Pakistani air during this year.” He said the joint venture between CATIC and PAF will go a long way forward in the aviation history. Ambassador of China to Pakistan LUO Zhaohui said the JF-17 fighter jet is another milestone achieved in furthering the bilateral relations between the nations of Pakistan and China. “It is a big day for both the countries,” he said. He made special mention of Pakistan’s support to China on different issues of world repute and said the whole Chinese nation is thankful and mindful of Pakistan’s support.

I believe the CAC president's comments are referring to the J-10 since the JF-17 are already flying in pakistani air for quite some time. Also his statement is written immediately after the discussion about J-10.

It's about time.

We will cover the costs until the Pakastani economy can make a turn-around.

Pakistan will never find such a sincere friend like China.

China is truly Pakistan's best friend.

God Bless China :china:

what we ll be gettin is FC-20 which is a major upgrade on J-10. i dont think if that will be JXX. the news of J-10 arriving this year was just a rumor

It cant be a rumor as sir murad mentioned it in another thread...I think:what:

well i hope so.... he is definately a highly respectable and reliable source

As I have said in the earlier post, I believe the news is taken out of context (check my last post). PAF chief says the improved FC-20 will be inducted in 2014 and then CATIC president says "under the agreement, the plane will fly in pakistani skies this year".

I believe the J-10A will be bought this year while the FC-20 ( or J-10B ) will be inducted in 2014-15.

At least this is what I figured out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom