What's new

JF-17 Thunder in Dubai Air Show 2013.

I am no pilot but what is the possibility that he deployed the brakes to achieve a slower speed with a higher engine thrust ... ... then at the end of the manoeuvre he could quickly pull up since his engine would already be at a high thrust setting ... ...???

Tempest,

I fully understand your question... The reason is pretty well known in aviation circles. The issue is that you need safe exit when something happens. Since you are flying extremely low and you can flip over or to one side you need fast more power to recover. Every engine has spool up time. So before you get really some needed thrust there is a certain delay. We never talk about that but the Snecma's and RD33 are very very fast ones. You can avoid spool up time by already using a lot more thrust and correcting it by using your airbrakes. So if something happens you just remove your airbrakes and you already have decent thrust. I hope that settles your question and do look on youtube on F16 low speed pass... You will see the same. So the brakes are essential for a low speed pass. I doubt they risk a plane by not using airbrakes.

Danger Zone,

I agree but I think it was not about the low speed... It was to show that the plane can pull up (even with airbrakes...). No one cares really about that low speed pass cause it does not show anything but high aoa and how good FBW works. But if you can pull up that good... That makes impression!

Chak Bamu,

I do not have the time I used to have ;)
It is not that problematic and certainly not small. You have four small ones that have the same roughly size as the F16. But the size relates to the power, the mass etc... The smaller they are the smaller force you need to retract them. So simpler and lighter construction. And this way every thing is neatly working towards the CG. And also less RCS from back side if you have a few small ones then one big.

guyzz i want to know is JF-17 thunder really fail jet i have read that JF-17 thunder is fail jet and it can`t fire missile and please tell me is JF-17 thunder better than LCa tejas

guyzz i want to know is JF-17 thunder really fail jet i have read that JF-17 thunder is fail jet and it can`t fire missile and please tell me is JF-17 thunder better than LCa tejas

Could you please post the link about whatever you read about JF17.
A failed jet will always sit at home and the production will stop rather than flying in an airshow to sell. O bhai JF17 block 2 is tested and finalized and the project has moved forward to 3rd block.
"Better??" JF17 can definitely compete with the most of the jets now a days in the market. Don't compare JF17 with a jet which is not even in production state.
Search online for some videos of JF17 where a live missile test is carried out. There are vids where its dropping bombs as well.

FBW seems to work pretty decently judging from the video, it pulled at such low speed with airbrakes deployed is indicative how good the FLCS + aerodynamics work together! AoA seems on the high side indeed.

Here are some pics of the air show displaying the JF17

00016c42b36b13f3bec428.jpg

00016c42b36b13f3bec929.jpg

00016c42b36b13f3c2a530.jpg

Sexy bird..... :smitten:

Last edited:
Hi,

That is a very poor reflection of PAF. If an air force like paf does not know what air shows need and require---then it shows how closed minded and rigid this organization is.

We discussed this last time, and the time before and the time before.

We must however recognize this show was better than before (At least !).

comparing turn rate of a delta with conventional lay-out is with some comment. ITR is superb if you have a delta. STR is a hell. The delta will change very fast but due to drag it will lose kinetic energy and end up very slow. So mirage 2000 against F16 is dangerous for F16 but after the first turn the delta is dead. But it changes when you go up vertical. The drag lowers and the delta can also use altitude more efficient for trading altitude for speed.

So surely LCA can turn nicely (it has not shown that) but never forget the basics of ITR and STR.

Whether it can do a loop... I think it is a lot more difficult to do a cuban 8.

comparing turn rate of a delta with conventional lay-out is with some comment. ITR is superb if you have a delta. STR is a hell. The delta will change very fast but due to drag it will lose kinetic energy and end up very slow. So mirage 2000 against F16 is dangerous for F16 but after the first turn the delta is dead. But it changes when you go up vertical. The drag lowers and the delta can also use altitude more efficient for trading altitude for speed.

So surely LCA can turn nicely (it has not shown that) but never forget the basics of ITR and STR.

Whether it can do a loop... I think it is a lot more difficult to do a cuban 8.
Sir, with all due respect. ..... what language are you exactly speaking o_O

Sir, with all due respect. ..... what language are you exactly speaking o_O

ITR = Instantaneous Turn Rate
STR = Sustained Turn Rate.

The rest you can understand if you know about drag, thrust, etc...

Thanks @Munir , keep these nuggets coming.

Could you please post the link about whatever you read about JF17.
A failed jet will always sit at home and the production will stop rather than flying in an airshow to sell. O bhai JF17 block 2 is tested and finalized and the project has moved forward to 3rd block.
"Better??" JF17 can definitely compete with the most of the jets now a days in the market. Don't compare JF17 with a jet which is not even in production state.
Search online for some videos of JF17 where a live missile test is carried out. There are vids where its dropping bombs as well.
can you show me some pic of JF-17 block 2 and can you tell me LCA tejas is better or JF-17 thunder

can you show me some pic of JF-17 block 2 and can you tell me LCA tejas is better or JF-17 thunder
:hitwall:
search for JF PT-06 for what you wanna find out about block 2 modifications yourself cuz I dont have time to search for you. Most of the things are kept secret so you will see a clear picture of Block 2 soon. PAF officials are not stupid to announce block 3 when block 2 is not finalized and tested. Did you read my post properly? did I said that lca is good or bad or not better or better than JF17? I hope you are enough old to understand that. Jab LCA market may aa jai ga then we will compare it.
There are more knowledgeable posts in this thread from experts, please read them.

Back
Top Bottom