What's new

JF-17 Block III's proposed AESA Radar KLJ-7A

Apparently:
- tracks 15 targets
- engage 4
- 65% increase in range against 5sqm compared to previous model

You forgot to mention, how many targets it can engage simultaneously.

How does it compare to the radar on the rafale's and f-16v's

@Arsalan : Please correct me if I am wrong but I dont think the current JF-17 radar is called KLJ-7A, rather is KLJ-7V2. And the radar above does strongly appear to be an AESA radar.

Actually @Hannah_Kravitz may be correct about it being a copy of Elta ELM-2052. There were numerous reports of IAI having worked with chinese through a company called NAV which had published marketing literature having claimed to replicated the ELM-2052. It caused a huge uproar in US because the US has delayed the delivery of F-35 to Israel because they may have shared sensitive information regarding AESA development with the chinese in the form of ELM-2052. Israel denies this but of course there is precedence.

lavi4.jpg

If this is the rumored ELM-2052 copy, it will be a huge boon for PAF/JF-17. The ELM-2052 is said to be a premier radar and was suitable for "F-15, Mig-29, M2K ect." Even India wanted it for LCA but Washington prevented that from happening. It is said to offer "Very Long Range detection" and is said to be able to track up to 64 targets and has High ECM immunity. If this is the ELM-2052, I would be very happy if I were pakistan.

The reality is whether or not it is a copy of the Israeli radar or a new Chinese design (something they are very capable of given the AESA on J-10B and J-11D, J-20, ect.) this is a huge upgrade for JF-17 block 3 and gives it breathing space when considering western contenders. Hope that China can come up with some other good electronics for JF-17 in the EW vein.

Last edited:
4 targets simultaneously

Will add a link later but a Chinese Article by a journalist who attended the briefing.

He is assuming the early model to be at 110km which makes this A model to be 180km

4 is low number it should be 6 if a radar can track 15 targets. 180km range for what size target?

trolls have derailed this thread but is this AESA or not?

Radar in the OP is 100% AESA, some seniors want to look like big shots so are questioning with idiotic reasoning.

There is no possible way to make that radar shown in images work manually, you would need power of some 10 JFT to make only 1 radar work. so yeah the images shown by @cirr are of AESA and as per description is an KLJ-7A. We can hope it is slated for JFT.

The KLJ-7A is an AESA, it is stated clearly on the datasheet. Moreover, NRIET doesn't do PESA. NRIET (14th institute) is often considered to be the top radar institute in China. The 052D, 052C, J-11D, are all using NRIET AESA radars, and it wouldn't surprise me if the J-20 radar was from NRIET as well.

Lolz,,, and who said that was AESA?

An upgrade to mechanically scanned radar KLJ-7!!!

AND THAT makes you say it is an AESA? Come on man, you know better than that.

STOP creating hype out of nothing. Adding spice to the report may look good for some time but never good for general information and knowledge. I hope you will understand.

The lack of gimbal should make it obvious that the beam is electronically steered. Both the original datasheet and the translation made it clear that this is an AESA radar.

Back
Top Bottom