What's new

JF-17 Block-3 -- Updates, News & Discussion

Though not directly integrated, the JF-17 can also carry electro-optical/infrared sensors and self-defense jammers on external pods.
The Aselsan pod has been integrated, validated and verified on the JF-17.
he PAF JF-17s are still awaiting Chinese PL-12 radar-guided missiles with a range of around fifty miles to obtain true beyond-visual range capability.
The same can be said about this.
The jet intakes are widened to improve airflow
I have found this statement baffling from the very first time it was mentioned in an article earlier this year. If air flow was an issue, the air-intakes would have been widened and optimised from the very start. Even cars have precise computerised controls for mixing the ideal amount of air/fuel.
The Block III Thunder may also feature an internal infrared sensor
The JF-17 will not have an internal one. The Aselsan pod already has an high resolution 3rd generation FLIR, which has air-to-air modes.

I have found this statement baffling from the very first time it was mentioned in an article earlier this year. If air flow was an issue, the air-intakes would have been widened and optimised from the very start. Even cars have precise computerised controls for mixing the ideal amount of air/fuel.

The JF-17 will not have an internal one. The Aselsan pod already has an high resolution 3rd generation FLIR, which has air-to-air modes.
The intakes of f16s runing P&W and GE engines are different and the latter are larger than the former. This is an established fact. So if there is any truth to the engine change story(Needs varification) then it would not be beyond the relam of possibility to do so. Just saying it has been known to happen.
A

You ordered more block-II+ in 2016 when China failed to deliver 50 block-IIIs contract sign in 2012. Check SIPRI

Only JF-17 serial production line is PAC Kamra only, China make/tests prototypes for new types. JF-17 specs seemed to be slightly delayed however the induction numbers are near about the original plan (50 per block). Rumor of additional 10-12 Blk-2 units besides the JF-17B for keeping the assembly line busy while the Blk-3 gets ready for production.

Yes. Currently PAF deploys SD10A on its JFT fighters.
A
Araz

Another question. There are 7 hardpoints; excluding the wingtips; are the other 5 capable to deploying SD10A or 4 SD10A + fueltank on fuselage + 2 pl5 on tips?

Araz

Another question. There are 7 hardpoints; excluding the wingtips; are the other 5 capable to deploying SD10A or 4 SD10A + fueltank on fuselage + 2 pl5 on tips?
As per my info based on pictures of JFT Loadout only HPs 2 and 6 are wired for dual SD10As. I could be wrong and things might have changed.
A

As per my info based on pictures of JFT Loadout only HPs 2 and 6 are wired for dual SD10As. I could be wrong and things might have changed.
A
yes in otherwords - how many SD10A can be carried at one time?

Anyone knows if we are running multiple shifts per day on JFT production line? If not that can easily and quickly increase production numbers

Currently 2 and once DERs get approved and incorporated 4. Things may have changed so anyone having more upto date info is more than welcome to correct.
A
Dual pylons on position 2 and 6 has been tested successfully.
Anyone knows if we are running multiple shifts per day on JFT production line? If not that can easily and quickly increase production numbers
When i was there, they were running multiple shifts during the production of blk2. I'm pretty sure they are doing the same right now

Dual pylons on position 2 and 6 has been tested successfully.

When i was there, they were running multiple shifts during the production of blk2. I'm pretty sure they are doing the same right now
You maybe right but no one in public domain which is what Iam relying on has seen DERs on JFTs. I guess when you can only attack 2 planes at a time you dont need to stress the frame with 4 BVRs. Now that we have the capability to attack 4 simultaneously, we will need a DER and might see it.
A

Pl12 has been integrated and certified by PAF test and evaluation team since 2011. This allowed blk1s to carry them too. But, all blk 1s are now upgraded to blk 2 config.

is pl-12 operational yet?

Yep. All scrambling thunders carry sd10a.

The intakes of f16s runing P&W and GE engines are different and the latter are larger than the former. This is an established fact. So if there is any truth to the engine change story(Needs varification) then it would not be beyond the relam of possibility to do so. Just saying it has been known to happen.
A
You're right. Engines require their air supply optimised according to their requirement. Different engines, albeit installed on the same aircraft (F-16's in this instance), will have different requirements. With the current engine, no modification would be required for the JF-17, unless there are some drastic changes (hypothetically swap the DSI for a conventional intake, for what ever reason they might consider doing this.)

You're right. Engines require their air supply optimised according to their requirement. Different engines, albeit installed on the same aircraft (F-16's in this instance), will have different requirements. With the current engine, no modification would be required for the JF-17, unless there are some drastic changes (hypothetically swap the DSI for a conventional intake, for what ever reason they might consider doing this.)

Hi,

The change in size of the intake from the blk 50 to 52 is an easy job---.

It would NOT be difficult for the JF17 if need be---.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom