What's new

JF-17 Block-3 -- Updates, News & Discussion

I am asking a simple question for learned people here based on visual observation

How come there is no difference in nose cone of JF-17 Block 3
View attachment 704923
Now we see as visual sample of AESA Equipped aircraft
View attachment 704925
View attachment 704927

why do i feel that Block 3 prototype is not flying with AESA its flying with regular KLJ7 radar?

may be AESA will come when RD93MA will come? valid question?

The slanted nose cone cutout isn't a prerequisite for an AESA radar. Different designs are different. In fact most AESA equipped aircraft don't have it.

Please stop spreading hearsay.

Typhoo:

eurofighter_caesarradar_2.jpg

Mig-35:

1565707867691_637013046619968780.png

Su-57:

su-57.jpg

F-18:

f18.jpg

So PAF has not opted for this version of KLJ-7A with 3 x arrays and 300*FOV
View attachment 704943
They have chosen this version
View attachment 704950
View attachment 704951

Correct?

No. We actually don't know. The slant is not gospel.

Captor-E-WFoR-in-EF_final.jpg

81647d50-db46-b965-4458-1c5c9f43c142

Last edited:
The slanted nose cone cutout isn't a prerequisite for an AESA radar. Different designs are different. In fact most AESA equipped aircraft don't have it.

Please stop spreading hearsay.

Typhoo:

eurofighter_caesarradar_2.jpg

Mig-35:

1565707867691_637013046619968780.png

Su-57:

su-57.jpg

F-18:

f18.jpg
All the examples you have shown have AESA radar aligned in the vertical plane. On the other hand KLJ-7A (2 models: swash plate and one with side arrays) have the main T/R module set pointing slightly up, this sort of radar design naturally needs a canted nose. So in the absence of a slanted nose on Block 3, all we can say is not intended to fit these two models of KLJ-7A.

@Dazzler ?? you had confirmed block 3 will have multi array KLJ-7A model.

Ok so you added the Gripen as well, notice how the swash plate is centered on a vertically neutral plance unlike the KLJ-7A.

All the examples you have shown have AESA radar aligned in the vertical plane. On the other hand KLJ-7A (2 models: swash plate and one with side arrays) have the main T/R module set pointing slightly up, this sort of radar design naturally needs a canted nose. So in the absence of a slanted nose on Block 3, all we can say is not intended to fit these two models of KLJ-7A.

@Dazzler ?? you had confirmed block 3 will have multi array KLJ-7A model.

No it does not. No you cannot.

lr.jpg

No it does not.

but the cut away shows the swash plate is centered in a vertically neutral plane. Dont know whats going on in the second picture.

I think I will support @TheTallGuy 's interpretation
Someone post a picture of the swash plate version of KLJ-7A, if i remember correctly it was centered pointing up slightly? That would weirdly mean more FOV above the aircraft than below though.

but the cut away shows the swash plate is centered in a vertically neutral plane. Dont know whats going on in the second picture.

Someone post a picture of the swash plate version of KLJ-7A, if i remember correctly it was centered pointing up slightly? That would weirdly mean more FOV above the aircraft than below though.

Vertically neutral plane? What do you mean?

The first picture is of the Typhoon's Captor-E radar which is mounted on a swash plate. See the video.

The second picture is the Gripin's Raven AESA. It rotates, like a horizontally mounted top. Like this Vixen 100 E.

Last edited:

The swash plate rotates 360degress, but it has a slant to the vertical axis, which means that when it is rotated, it's direction of field of view changes, but it also broadens the angle of field of view.

In the case of the Captor E, the swash plate can be rotated directionally according to where it's needed. See video below..

The swash plate rotates 360degress, but it has a slant to the vertical axis, which means that when it is rotated, it's direction of field of view changes, but it also broadens the angle of field of view.
Yes agreed but would that mean you get a better field of view above the aircraft than below?

I am asking a simple question for learned people here based on visual observation

How come there is no difference in nose cone of JF-17 Block 3
View attachment 704923
Now we see as visual sample of AESA Equipped aircraft
View attachment 704925
View attachment 704927

why do i feel that Block 3 prototype is not flying with AESA its flying with regular KLJ7 radar?

may be AESA will come when RD93MA will come? valid question?
Oh dear...is it beyond the reLms of possibility that a radar can be fitted in the current nosecone? Why would you have ti change the nosecone for the radar that sits inside?
Talk about creating drama

Last edited:
That when the mechanical pointing mechanism is centered the radar points perfectly straight forward.

The first picture is of the Captor-E in the Typhoon. It is mounted on a swash plate and moves around in all directions.

The second picture is of the ES-05 Raven for the Gripin. It rotates on the vertical axes.

Neither of them will remain centered in any plane.

There is one which looks like this with mechanical elevation
1610142897639.png

and the other is
1610142944252.png

The Block 3 SBP is flying with AESA Radar then it has to be 2nd one

then where does the electrical power comes from? RD93MA is not even operational? with RD93 (Block 1 & 2) will not be able to provide juice to AESA Radar.

Am i correct in my assumption?

Yes agreed but would that mean you get a better field of view above the aircraft than below?

Not sure what you mean by "above the aircraft", but the swash plate simply rotates the radar to whichever direction is needed to gain wider coverage, see the video above on the Captor E.

Watch the video.

Also a swash plate that can be made to move sideways can also be made to look downwards. I've already posted the video of the Captor-E.

These are at least two ways of doing it. The angle of the antenna that you see is exactly to make use of these movements and provide a wider coverage. No point in placing the antenna at an angle when the plate is static.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom