What's new

JF-17 Block-3 -- Updates, News & Discussion

Please define "Soon".

1st prototype is made not so long ago and with an old engine and probably in testing phase. New engine is on testing right now and not even installed in prototype.

I Don't expect Operational Block-3 before 2023-25 timeline.
Now PAC development is standstill.

1st prototype is made not so long ago and with an old engine and probably in testing phase. New engine is on testing right now and not even installed in prototype.

Well you are correct about 1st prototype & testing but are we sure there is going to be "new engine" for block 3?

I Don't expect Operational Block-3 before 2023-25 timeline.

I will say : "be optimistic"
Serial production should begin way before that & by "Operational" if you mean a Squadron Strength, flying with tactics developed for new AESA, EW & other goodies: Yes, it will take time

Now PAC development is standstill.

Negative.

How come you came to this statement brother? :-)

Please define "Soon".

Wings will burn if cross certain point, "Soon" means "soon" :D by the will of Almighty.

Well you are correct about 1st prototype & testing but are we sure there is going to be "new engine" for block 3?

Serial production should begin way before that & by "Operational" if you mean a Squadron Strength, flying with tactics developed for new AESA, EW & other goodies: Yes, it will take time

Negative.

Wings will burn if cross certain point, "Soon" means "soon" :D by the will of Almighty.
I dont think we are going for engine change in block 3. If there is to be a block 4 and I think there maybe then perhaps. Engine upgrade is a topic beyond me so I will not venture there but I suspect we might get an upgrade that might go on the current engines. Our need is dire so PAC will not take any chances with a new engine and neither was an engine change in the Thunder development cycle. Furthermore there has been no indication from PAF/PAC sources to suggest engine change. I would wait to comment on engine change till I hear anything from official sources.
A

I dont think we are going for engine change in block 3. If there is to be a block 4 and I think there maybe then perhaps. Engine upgrade is a topic beyond me so I will not venture there but I suspect we might get an upgrade that might go on the current engines. Our need is dire so PAC will not take any chances with a new engine and neither was an engine change in the Thunder development cycle. Furthermore there has been no indication from PAF/PAC sources to suggest engine change. I would wait to comment on engine change till I hear anything from official sources.
A
According to Chinese military aviation blog site following are the features of JF-17 Block 3:

"The latest variant of JF-17, Block III carries PAF's ambition to counter IAF's most powerful 3.5th generation fighter Rafale. The aircraft is expected to feature a more powerful engine (upgraded RD-93MA, 9,300kg class), a new AESA radar developed by NETRI/14th Institute (KLJ-7A, range 170km, track 15, engage 4), HMDS, IRST, upgraded EW suite, new datalink, full authority digital FBW and a variety of air-to-air and air-to-ground guided weapons including PL-10E IIR guided AAM as well as PL-15E active radar homing AAM (using twin launch rails). Additional hard points are installed including ones underneath the engine air intake for ECM or targeting pod. Images of the first flight indicated the JF-17 Block III prototype features a J-20 style narrow frame wide-angle holographic HUD (EHUD-2?), a slightly enlarged spine, and new forward MAWS sensors behind the engine air intakes. The rear MAWS sensors were relocated to the EW compartment on top of the vertical fin as well. Otherwise the overall aerodynamic configuration remains the unchanged and the aircraft is still powered by the original RD-93 engine. A recent report (February 2020) suggested that the KLJ-7A AESA radar has been chosen by PAF. A recent report (July 2020) suggested that the Russian RD-93MA engine was selected by PAF".

The same site states about future JF-17 Block 4 that "611 Institute was studying a semi-stealth concept of FC-1 (JF-17 Block IV?) to further explore its export potential. The aircraft might have certain stealth features such as a redesigned stealth nose with a one-piece F-22 style canopy".

The info given in this site is most authentic for Chinese made aviation weapon systems.

Source: http://chinese-military-aviation.blogspot.com/p/fighters-ii.html

Negative.

With New engine I mean RD93MA and operational means 1st aircraft ready with all planned goodies, handed over to PAF squadron and ready to fight enemy.

I have heard JF 17 block III was is tested with PL-15 missile in current PAK China Air exercise and BBC has released some images too.
Is it true?
I have no further confirmation but rumors are available on social media.

I have heard JF 17 block III was is tested with PL-15 missile in current PAK China Air exercise and BBC has released some images too.
Is it true?
I have no further confirmation but rumors are available on social media.

NO! Neither was a Block 3 participating the recent exercise not with a PL-15 and even less had BBC made some images.

Please ... don't listen to any random stupid rumour that is written in social media.

NO! Neither was a Block 3 participating the recent exercise not with a PL-15 and even less had BBC made some images.

Please ... don't listen to any random stupid rumour that is written in social media.
@Deino do u have any video where JF-17 actually firing a SD-10??

What does it mean?? What is so confidential to release a bvr firing video??
there are 2 videos one very old video from early days of JF-17 program from Chinese Test range shown at ATV in Pakistan and by one of the Chinese Channel you can still find screenshots in this forum in JF-17 section

Second one was a clip issued during the tenure of former ACM Sohail Aman at the time when Pakistan operationalize domestic testing range in Pakistan.

Back
Top Bottom