What's new

Japan's Abe says TPP would have strategic significance if China joined

Comment: I told you guys so! ;)

-----------------

r

Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe welcomed the pan-Pacific agreement struck in the United States on Monday, which would liberalize trade in 40 percent of the world economy, though he said bringing China into the deal in future would increase its strategic significance.

"The Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) establishes in the Asia-Pacific a free, fair and open international economic system with countries that share the basic values of freedom, democracy, basic human rights and the rule of law," Abe told a nationally televised news conference.

"It would contribute largely to our nation's security and Asia-Pacific regional stability, and it would have significant strategic meaning if China joined the system in the future."

Twelve Pacific Rim countries reached the most ambitious trade pact in a generation, although the deal faces scepticism from U.S. lawmakers, who can vote the deal down.

If approved, the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) pact would cut trade barriers and set common standards from Vietnam to Canada. It would also furnish a legacy-shaping victory for U.S. President Barack Obama and a political win for Abe, who has touted TPP as a way to boost growth in an economy checked by a shrinking population.

The agreement has also been pitched as a way to counter China's rising economic and political clout in the region.

Abe, whose ruling bloc faces a national election next July, stressed TPP would benefit Japanese consumers, workers, rural regions and companies of all sizes, not just major corporations.

"All in all, (TPP) will be a huge tailwind for Japanese companies to conduct business overseas," Abe said. "TPP definitely brings benefits to consumers and working people. The agreement would benefit the growth of Japan."

In a nod to politically powerful farmers worried they will suffer from a flood of imports after the deal, Abe said he would set up a new headquarters to craft steps to mitigate the impact.

"I am aware many people are deeply concerned," he said. The beautiful scenery of the countryside, home towns with traditional culture where people help each other, the national character we are proud of will continue to be protected. Our determination will not change at all," said the conservative leader.

Japan's Abe says TPP would have strategic significance if China joined| Reuters

If I have to guess, I would say China will join the TPP in 5-6 years time.

I am saddened by the naivety and shortsightedness of some members here.

The heart of the TPP is to spread a neo-liberal, or maybe a classical-liberal, economic world order across the globe. TPP from the east, then TTIP in the west.

To get China to join and commit to this world order would be considered a success, so I don’t know why members here think the motive of the TPP is to contain China.

Whether China thinks a liberal world order is bad or worth it to join, thats for the CCP to judge. But I’m gonna predict that they will eventually be tempted enough to join, just like how they eventually joined the WTO. Taiwan and SK is likely to join the TPP, which means that all the big players in the Asia Pacific region will be part of this world order. If the TTIP gets ratified too, then most of the worlds major economies, which is like over 80% of China’s export market will become part of this liberal world order. China would then join because she doesn’t want to miss out on the benefits just like how she didn’t want to miss out on the benefits of the WTO and joined.

The TPP == 2nd Plaza Accord / 广场协议 …… only work for American economy recover, just watch for next five years ... who will lose more.

The TPP == 2nd Plaza Accord / 广场协议 …… only work for American economy recover, just watch for next five years ... who will lose more.

Last edited:
If I have to guess, I would say China will join the TPP in 5-6 years time.

I am saddened by the naivety and shortsightedness of some members here.

The heart of the TPP is to spread a neo-liberal, or maybe a classical-liberal, economic world order across the globe. TPP from the east, then TTIP in the west.

To get China to join and commit to this world order would be considered a success, so I don’t know why members here think the motive of the TPP is to contain China.

Whether China thinks a liberal world order is bad or worth it to join, thats for the CCP to judge. But I’m gonna predict that they will eventually be tempted enough to join, just like how they eventually joined the WTO. Taiwan and SK is likely to join the TPP, which means that all the big players in the Asia Pacific region will be part of this world order. If the TTIP gets ratified too, then most of the worlds major economies, which is like over 80% of China’s export market will become part of this liberal world order. China would then join because she doesn’t want to miss out on the benefits just like how she didn’t want to miss out on the benefits of the WTO and joined.

An Excellent analysis !

Are you adult ?

Respect TPP rules means VN is vassal state of USA ? Then why you join this evil organization ?
Pple all know how short vision Chinese are during the begining of RMB fall last month.

You dont understand what I said, then thats the problem of short vision.RMB will fall to half after 6 years, CN will collapse after 10 years. Just watch and see what will happen to CN and VN after TPP come out, u will find the answer

Pple all know how short vision Chinese are during the begining of RMB fall last month.

You dont understand what I said, then thats the problem of short vision.RMB will fall to half after 6 years, CN will collapse after 10 years. Just watch and see what will happen to CN and VN after TPP come out, u will find the answer

LOOOOOL! :rofl::rofl::rofl::cheesy::suicide::suicide::suicide:

You remind me of my Vietnamese bro @NiceGuy ~~!

But in all honesty tho, come on, collapse of China? I think there are too many 'China collapse theories' out there, don't you think? Ever heard of Mr. Gordon Chang? LOOOOOL!!

China open to any mechanism conducive to Asia-Pacific economic integration

BEIJING, Oct. 8 (Xinhua) -- China is open to any mechanism that follows the rules of the World Trade Organization and can boost the economic integration of the Asia-Pacific region, said a Foreign Ministry spokesperson on Thursday.

"China maintains that the mechanism should be conducive to strengthening multilateral trade system, pushing forward the Doha Round talks and global development agenda," said spokesperson Hua Chunying at a regular press briefing.

She was responding to a question regarding a deal reached on Monday among top trade negotiators of the United States and 11 other Pacific Rim countries on the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) free trade pact.

Hua said given the difference in economic development of Asia-Pacific countries, China believes those concerned should jointly push the building of the Asia-Pacific Free Trade Area, and various trade mechanisms should complement each other.

China is committed to boosting the process of the FTA of Asia Pacific together with other parties in the region, to boost healthy global economic growth, she added.

The TPP talks involve Australia, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Peru, Singapore, the United States and Vietnam.

China open to any mechanism conducive to Asia-Pacific economic integration
- Xinhua | English.news.cn

China is open to any mechanism that follows the rules of the World Trade Organization and can boost the economic integration of the Asia-Pacific region, said a Foreign Ministry spokesperson on Thursday.

Wonderful. Let's all work for regional integration. The more we integrate, the safer we all are as we all become inextricably linked together. I've always vouched for this paradigm, sans geopolitical stances now.

But in all honesty tho, come on, collapse of China? I think there are too many 'China collapse theories' out there, don't you think? Ever heard of Mr. Gordon Chang? LOOOOOL!!
I know its so bad for JP when CN collapse bcs greedy US will see JP have No use any more and may divide JP to half like North-South Korea to reduce your power. But JP can do Nothing if JP PM still just an US's puppet like fomer S.VN president.

Life is so cruel, right ? But its just a natural progress in human history. :)

:rolleyes: you better stop hanging out with those Turkish and Vietnamese fortune tellers who believe in their magic crystal balls visualizing the China collapse doomsday scenario. You will only get dumb and dumber by the day

I know its so bad for JP when CN collapse bcs greedy US will see JP have No use any more and may divide JP to half like North-South Korea to reduce your power. But JP can do Nothing if JP PM still just an US's puppet like fomer S.VN president.

Life is so cruel, right ? But its just a natural progress in human history. :)

Ooooookayyy....LOOOOOL!!!

:rolleyes: you better stop hanging out with those Turkish and Vietnamese fortune tellers who believe in their magic crystal balls visualizing the China collapse doomsday scenario. You will only get dumb and dumber by the day

My Vietnam bro is just a spicy pepper . Let's leave him alone a bit.

Sure, VN must follow the Tpp rules like other members. But as we are a least developed, poor country, America says will grant some "flexibility" to Vietnam. That means we have more times to adopt the rules, or even are exempted from some rules. the governments of America and Vietnam have worked out a secret agreement; but nobody outside knows what "flexibility" is about in details.

That is what the viet poster tells you.

Well . Secret agreement is a good answer to all kinds of questions. I wish the other TPP nations are happy with that.

I will try to make myself clear .

Your industrial structure is limited once you join TPP.

Your advantaged industry will be better ,like textile industy.

Your disadvantaged industry will be worse even die,like heavy industries .

What I mean is you will keep staying in the certain position of industry chain and never have a chance to climb to the high end .And the rules of origin will limit your business. the rules of ISDS will control your law .

I don't think you know about TPP, least about economy in general. VN car manufactures don't compete against JP modern car industry. It is about we sell things what the japanese need, and buy from JP stuffs what we need. Economy 1x1 by Adam Smith.
The point is Japan and US only wish you to do the labor work . Just like what they did in China.

The point is Japan and US only wish you to do the labor work . Just like what they did in China.

And that labor work helped China lift over 800 million Chinese out of poverty. Everyone has to start somewhere. Vietnam will also progress like China in years prior.

ha ha...!!! cunning mind. i like it. ;)
Typical asian english . I made such mistake also when I was in high school.:cheesy:

And that labor work helped China lift over 800 million Chinese out of poverty. Everyone has to start somewhere. Vietnam will also progress like China in years prior.

Under the framework of WTO.

WTO did not limit our potential . It is much more open than TPP.

USA even does not allow VN to import textile raw material from China.

VN will keep staying in the position for ever ,low end labor industry!

But their GDP will grow rapidly . They can make a better life.

Ooooookayyy....LOOOOOL!!!

My Vietnam bro is just a spicy pepper . Let's leave him alone a bit.
He talks like a mad dog. Keep a safe distance from him.

The WTO used to have a lot of critics (it still do actually) arguing that it is unfair and only favors the rich country. But that didn’t stop China from joining the WTO.

Rewind back 50-60 years, many people, including those in the CCP back then, would have probably criticized capitalism and attack it as an unfair economic order that only benefits the people on the top. Those old CCP cadres probably would have never imagined that communist China would later be so interwined with capitalism but look at it today.

So its not a big deal that there are naysayers and critics of the TPP now.

I was being serious when I said China will eventually join the TPP, because the main priority of the CCP is to make money and prop up its legitimacy, not ideology.

Xi is currently going the opposite direction of the liberal worldview of the TPP, but if his reform won’t work out so well within 5-6 years time and the Chinese economy stagnates and dont go over the 8% growth rate again (middle income trap?), then believe me, the liberal voices inside China will take over Xi’s conservative plan and joining the TPP would be most likely for China.

I can bet you 100rmb on this.

Last edited:
The WTO used to have a lot of critics (it still do actually) arguing that it is unfair and only favors the rich country. But that didn’t stop China from joining the WTO.

Rewind back 50-60 years, many people, including those in the CCP back then, would have probably criticized capitalism and attack it as an unfair economic order that only benefits the people on the top. Those old CCP cadres probably would never imagine communist China would later be so interwined with capitalism but look at it today.

So its not a big deal that there are naysayers and critics of the TPP now.

I was being serious when I said China will eventually join the TPP, because the main priority of the CCP is to make money and prop up its legitimacy, not ideology.

Xi is currently going the opposite direction of the liberal worldview of the TPP, but if his reform won’t work out so well within 5-6 years time and the Chinese economy stagnates and dont go over the 8% growth rate again (middle income trap?), then believe me, the liberal voices inside China will take over Xi’s conservative plan and joining the TPP would be most likely for China.

I can bet you 100rmb on this.
Xi Jinping's tenure in office will not end in 5-6 years. Alot can change for China with or without the TPP in a 5-10 year time frame. TPP is not the top holy grail to boost the global economy.

Back
Top Bottom