What's new

Japanese destroyer JS Shirane passes the World Trade Center

Japanese ships have pretty odd names. Why don't you people name them with names such as courageous, intrepid etc., ?
I quite like the naming, Soryu, Hiryu, Yamato. Why the heck would you want them to name 'em British style, HMS Outrageous HMS Uproarious :o:

But they seem less energetic and heroic.

Not really. The term has to be seen in context. Certain Japanese ships are named after mountains(Just as US subs after states and cities).

This is the convention used by the Japanese in naming their ships.

The basic scheme for naming major Japanese combatants by the Imperial Japanse Navy [IJN] which was employed for decades before the end of WW2 was as follows.

• Battleships -- Ancient names of regions in Japan or names for Japan itself
  • Aircraft Carriers -- Names of mythical birds and animals
  • First Class Cruisers -- Names of mountains
  • Second Class Cruisers -- Names of rivers
  • First Class Destroyers -- Names of meteorological phenomena
  • Second/Third Class Destroyers -- Names of trees or flowers
  • Torpedo Boats -- Birds

I quite like the naming, Soryu, Hiryu, Yamato. Why the heck would you want them to name 'em British style, HMS Outrageous HMS Uproarious :o:

I do like Japanese warship names. But the Brit names give more weight to the ship's lore.

Not really. The term has to be seen in context. Certain Japanese ships are named after mountains(Just as US subs after states and cities).

This is the convention used by the Japanese in naming their ships.

The basic scheme for naming major Japanese combatants by the Imperial Japanse Navy [IJN] which was employed for decades before the end of WW2 was as follows.

• Battleships -- Ancient names of regions in Japan or names for Japan itself
  • Aircraft Carriers -- Names of mythical birds and animals
  • First Class Cruisers -- Names of mountains
  • Second Class Cruisers -- Names of rivers
  • First Class Destroyers -- Names of meteorological phenomena
  • Second/Third Class Destroyers -- Names of trees or flowers
  • Torpedo Boats -- Birds

Very well said, my Sir. ^^,

I quite like the naming, Soryu, Hiryu, Yamato.

I agree with you, in fact, the JMSDF is now taking the habit of naming new capital ships after ships of the Imperial Japanese Navy.

For example:

The destroyer JS Hatakaze:
US_Navy_101206-N-2562W-015_The_Japan_Maritime_Self-Defense_ships_JS_Hatakaze_%28DDG_171%29_and_JS_Hamagiri_%28DD_155%29_steam_in_formation_during_Keen_Swor.jpg

it is actually named after the IJS Hatakaze, which fought in the Pacific War:
Japanese_destroyer_Hatakaze_Taisho_14.jpg

--------

Our newly deployed (in 2013) destroyer JS Akizuki:
Akizuki_3.jpg

I76kbcQ.jpg

is actually named after the destroyer IJS Akizuki , which participated in the Pacific War at the Battle of the Philippine Sea:

IJN_Hatsuzuki_1942.jpg

1280px-Hanazuki.jpg

1024px-Cape_Engano_II.jpg

I agree with you, in fact, the JMSDF is now taking the habit of naming new capital ships after ships of the Imperial Japanese Navy.

For example:

The destroyer JS Hatakaze:
US_Navy_101206-N-2562W-015_The_Japan_Maritime_Self-Defense_ships_JS_Hatakaze_%28DDG_171%29_and_JS_Hamagiri_%28DD_155%29_steam_in_formation_during_Keen_Swor.jpg

it is actually named after the IJS Hatakaze, which fought in the Pacific War:
Japanese_destroyer_Hatakaze_Taisho_14.jpg

--------

Our newly deployed (in 2013) destroyer JS Akizuki:
Akizuki_3.jpg

I76kbcQ.jpg

is actually named after the destroyer IJS Akizuki , which participated in the Pacific War at the Battle of the Philippine Sea:

IJN_Hatsuzuki_1942.jpg

1280px-Hanazuki.jpg

1024px-Cape_Engano_II.jpg
Will we get to see AC's in the Japanese Navy? Japan was the 1st asian country to use AC's

Will we get to see AC's in the Japanese Navy? Japan was the 1st asian country to use AC's

We are building our 2nd Izumo Class Light Carrier (27,000 tonnes displacement):

izumo7.jpg

An-aerial-view-of-Japan-Maritime-Self-Defense-Forces-new-helicopter-destroyer-DDH183-Izumo-is-seen-at-its-launching-ceremony-in-Yokohama_1375801150539439.jpg

3-9999e.jpg

20130806-040565-ddh-183-izumo-japon-00.jpg

7b29f2bf90fb3291cc1b554400e3b369_zps3dfbf633.jpg

=============

Our Izumo-Class Light Carrier when juxtaposed with the USN's Nimitz Class Supercarrier:
9zTXn4E.jpg

One of my favorite ship classes but ... Shirane is expected in 2014.

The Shirane class are an improved design based on the Haruna-class destroyers. They were also the first Japanese ships to be fitted with 3D radars. Powered by two steam boilers with two shafts for a maximum speed of 32 knots The ships are expected to be replaced by the new Izumo class 'helicopter destroyers'.

1920px-JS_Kurama_in_the_Pacific_Ocean_02.jpg

1920px-JapanNavyShipDDH144%22Kurama%22inOcean.jpg

Back
Top Bottom