What's new

Japan unveils largest warship since World War II

Status
Not open for further replies.
In all honesty I dont think the chinese come close to the aggressiveness of the western countries. Our news outlets tend to focus on every little move china makes therefore it creates the false impression china is super aggressive. If you look at the USA on the other hand we have our hands in everything. Its only natural that their is some shifting around Asia.

Please refer only to the USA and not "western countries",those western countries are cutting military expenditures,tanks,war ships,fighters, etc,down every year while China builds and builds some more.

So now Japan has 5 Helicopter carriers or 6??

Have you been trying to fully understand the Abe regime? It is the americans, japanese vietnamese indians pinoys et al who are portraying us as the wrong doers while we are just claiming our rights which are massively eroded due to illegal encroachment and occupation of the lands that belong to us

Take the Diaoyu Islands as an example. It is specified clearly in the Cairo and Potsdam Declarations respectively that after the japanese lost the world wars the islands have to be returned to China

How can the japanese thief appear as the victim getting "bullied" by the de facto victim in the eyes of the world?

and the 9 dashed lines... which is drawn on paper...... hehehe

do you know this so called "helicopter carrier" is capable of carrying attacking aircraft?

Hey,they have to have some capability to deliver the good news to China when sh^t hits the fan! :azn:

Seriously now,you have no business in meddling in other countries affairs,you have an AC,they can have one to,it's their business,i really don't see what's all this fuss about.

Please refer only to the USA and not "western countries",those western countries are cutting military expenditures,tanks,war ships,fighters, etc,down every year while China builds and builds some more.

Sure they're cutting military expenditures but not because they want to for the better of mankind, they just cant afford it my friend. If they had the money you best believe they'd be cranking it up full speed.

China on the other hand is no where equal in military power when compared to America. What do you expect them to do sit idle and remain 1/10th the power of the world police?

and the 9 dashed lines... which is drawn on paper...... hehehe

that is not directly relevant. no orgasm this time for you!

Hey,they have to have some capability to deliver the good news to China when sh^t hits the fan! :azn:

Seriously now,you have no business in meddling in other countries affairs,you have an AC,they can have one to,it's their business,i really don't see what's all this fuss about.

read my post @181. japanese have special pages in our history

that is not directly relevant. no orgasm this time for you!

read my post @181. japanese have special pages in our history

I know they do and i know that they've commited heinous crimes but that was some 70 years ago,nobody is slamming the germans in Europe for the past.Live in the present and the future,the past brings regrets.

I know they do and i know that they've commited heinous crimes but that was some 70 years ago,nobody is slamming the germans in Europe for the past.Live in the present and the future,the past brings regrets.

the key is the Germans repented seriously and condemned their atrocious past and even enact laws to forbid mentioning, acting upon or anything associated with it

the japanese takes the opposite route trying to revive imperialism. This vessel carries a lot of message from the regime on top of their growing hawkish right wings. again read the post #181 which has a good summarizing description of the meaning of the launch

A huge upgrade:

ku-xlarge.jpg

22DDH-0011.jpg

Japan's New Warship Draws Fire

2013-08-07 07:58:06 China Daily/Agencies Web Editor: Luo Dan

cri.cn

Japan's biggest warship was unveiled on Tuesday, raising grave concerns about the country's military buildup as observers said the vessel is actually an aircraft carrier, banned by Japan's pacifist constitution.

Tokyo's move coincided with Manila's latest efforts to upgrade its military, as the Philippine navy received a second former US coast guard ship. Manila received the first ship in 2011.

Analysts see the upgraded warships in Japan and the Philippines as efforts to gain an upper hand in maritime disputes with China, as well as a catalyst igniting an arms race that would escalate regional tensions.

China's Ministry of National Defense expressed concern on Tuesday about Japan's "continuous military buildup" and urged it to adhere to peaceful self-defense.

"Japan should reflect on its history, adhere to self-defense and the promise of following the path of peaceful development," the ministry's bureau for media affairs told China Daily. The ministry also called for Japan's neighbors and the international community to be "highly alert".

The Japanese military held a ceremony in the port city of Yokohama on Tuesday to show off its new 248-meter helicopter carrier 22DDH, which is expected to be a centerpiece of its naval power under the Self-Defense Forces, which are banned from aggressive action.

The Japanese-built carrier has a displacement of around 20,000 tons. It can accommodate 14 helicopters and will play a major role in disaster and rescue missions, as well as defend sea passages and Japanese territory, according to Japan's defense ministry.

But it is much larger than many countries' aircraft carriers in terms of displacement and deck length, and it can be easily and swiftly refitted to support F35-B fighters, which have strong combat capabilities, said Zhang Junshe, a senior researcher at the People's Liberation Army Naval Military Studies Research Institute.

"It is an aircraft carrier, and Japan just called it 'a helicopter destroyer' to downplay its aggressive nature," Zhang said. Japan, defeated in World War II, is creating regional tensions by breaking the postwar order, he added.

The vessel was named Izumo, the same name as the flagship of the Japanese fleet that invaded China in the 1930s.

Although the vessel is not 100 percent an aircraft carrier at the moment, it can be a platform for Japanese forces to train under circumstances similar to that of an aircraft carrier, said Jin Canrong, an international affairs professor at Renmin University of China.

Besides, Tokyo likely intentionally chose the date of the vessel's debut -- the 68th anniversary of the US dropping an atomic bomb on Hiroshima -- to woo public support for the government's military ambitions by taking advantage of sentiments about the attack, Jin said.

Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has been considering developing a regular army, which would require changing the Constitution imposed on Japan by the United States and its allies after World War II. But a possible overhaul of the Constitution has stirred strong reactions among Japan's neighbors, which have long maintained that Tokyo has never come to terms with its militaristic past.

"Washington, which currently is facing defense budget cuts, needs Tokyo's assistance to guarantee the US focus on Asia. ... This also encourages Abe to beef up Japan's military," Jin added.

China has always maintained that cooperation among countries should be conducive to regional peace and stability, according to the Ministry of National Defense's response to US-Philippine military cooperation.

Manila said last week that Washington had stepped up its military assistance package in the next fiscal year to about $50 million from $30 million, the highest level since US troops returned to the Philippines in 2000.

That seems to be the underlying object. To convert this seemingly defensive eqpt into one for launching STOL aircraft. STOL require 1,000 to 1,500 ft space.

That seems to be the underlying object. To convert this seemingly defensive eqpt into one for launching STOL aircraft. STOL require 1,000 to 1,500 ft space.

F-35 naval version allows vertical take off like the Harrier
It can also carry Ospreys

I like how some Viets jumping around haling Japan, lol when they were also victims of Japanese militants during WWII. Might is right to those imbeciles. I would laugh so hard if Japan decides to go after some tiny SE Asian countries again.

Back to the topic, arms race sometimes is good incentive for a nation to unite and develop technological breakthroughs. Personally, I welcome interstate competition.
And you will wait for a very loooooooong time for that laugh. Thanks to China's so called 'peaceful rise'. :lol:

At the present the Philippines is still stuck with tens of thousands of armed Moro rebels and no peace agreement with the MNLF or BIFF and if there is war there will be a new ally of China called the Bangsamoro Republic, and its not going to be very friendly with Japan. Its very bad publicity with the Moros if Japan backs the Philippines just to get back at China, considering the Japanese never apologized to the Moros for their own crimes on Mindanao.

Why are you guys calling it an aircraft carrier?

It is just a helicopter destroyer. Haven't you guys seen any helicopter destroyers before?
Because technically speaking, a helo is an aircraft. Helo pilots do call the helicopter 'aircraft'.

For example...

Aircraft History
AIRCRAFT HISTORY

If you are considering purchasing a pre-owned Bell Helicopter you are encouraged to check the history of the aircraft. There are some aircraft that have been destroyed in an accident or retired from service that are no longer considered to be genuine Bell Helicopter Aircraft. These aircraft will not be supported by Bell Helicopter. The following items list some steps you can take to check the history of an aircraft.
See that? Technically speaking, a dirigible (blimp), or even a paper kite, is an aircraft

Japan already has two such destroyers though in smaller size.

These are just defensive platforms. They have no offensive capabilities.
Do not confuse capability with usage. A kitchen knife is supposed to remain in the kitchen to prepare food, but its capability is what?

you have deleted my 30 minutes' hard work??? :cry:

Whatever you posted, all I said was that the Allies of WWII were far more civilized than the Axis countries. The only exception to the rule were the Soviets.

That is all.

do you know this so called "helicopter carrier" is capable of carrying attacking aircraft?

Which attack aircraft? In it's current configuration it can't carry any.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom