What's new

"Japan hopes for more military ties with India"

he is correct. in a land with a thousand languages, English makes an effective unifying language.

he is correct. in a land with a thousand languages, English makes an effective unifying language.

Many in Tamil Nadu or other South Indian states only speak their native tongue. The educated would use English to communicate with one another. The none educated would only speak, and maybe write, in their own language.

So Indians were so comfortable with the Brits that India decided to adopted English as the official language. Or did India adopted English as the necessary step to unite India?

Because there are so many languages in India, adapting them all together would be crazy, besides English is easier and universal. We dont need a language to unite us, we have our age old customs and traditions that unites.

On topic: This Indo Japanese relation is bound to prosper because we admire the Japanese for their work culture.

Because there are so many languages in India, adapting them all together would be crazy, besides English is easier and universal. We dont need a language to unite us, we have our age old customs and traditions that unites.

On topic: This Indo Japanese relation is bound to prosper because we admire the Japanese for their work culture.

Without a common language, various people of the nation won't be able to communicate. It won't be a nation. Language and borders are what defines a nation.

Many in Tamil Nadu or other South Indian states only speak their native tongue. The educated would use English to communicate with one another. The none educated would only speak, and maybe write, in their own language.
Mate language is just a mean of communication it has nothing to do with being educated. While in the University I had some great South Korean friends who were transfer students they couldn't speak a word of English yet they wee 10 times faster and smart than me and other students in solving complex problems.

Not just work ethics, Japan has been helping us in infrastructure development and other projects. So it is natural to explore the military and defense ties.

Mate language is just a mean of communication it has nothing to do with being educated. While in the University I had some great South Korean friends who were transfer students they couldn't speak a word of English yet they wee 10 times faster and smart than me and other students in solving complex problems.

Because they are foreigners. But a common language is an important ingredient of a nation.

Because they are foreigners. But a common language is an important ingredient of a nation.
it seems people who come from a homogenous culture have a hard time understanding the true culture of Indians.
we are born in a diverse landscape and we take great pride in being one people. regardless of a unifying language, we have a unifying identity that is needed for a nation state, we are all indians.

let's just say, you have to be one to understand it.

For us Indians there is a lot of variations in everything from food, languages, culture, clothing etc.. everything varies region to region, castes and religion. There is something above all this that is a uniting factor.

And, as Abishek said, its difficult to explain, u have to be one to feel it.

Not just work ethics, Japan has been helping us in infrastructure development and other projects. So it is natural to explore the military and defense ties.

What I meant was we innately admire them for their culture and hard work and look at them as a fine example.

Without a common language, various people of the nation won't be able to communicate. It won't be a nation. Language and borders are what defines a nation.

Then what is India?? Less than 20% of Indian population speaks english, so you would not term that as a "common" language would you.Similarly with Hindi. It always amuses me a great deal when foreigners fail to comprehend this! Yes, we are multilinguistic yet we ARE a nation infact we are still united as a nation :)

In theory, yes you may argue that a common language is an important ingredient, but we as a nation have proved it otherwise.

FYI, south India is fast catching up on Hindi. People from AP and Ktk can definitely understand and can converse ( to an extent) in Hindi. Kerala is not bad either. Tamil Nadu yes I agree, in the past it was an issue in the past but now there as well times are slowly changing.

We have managed this so called "communication-gap" in the past, we definitely can manage in the coming days with what the literacy rates ever increasing.

Dude we were fighting off Japanese in WWII that were coming to attack us!

But ofcourse, post-independence relations have been smooth.

Don't kid yourself. We were not fighting. The British Indian Army was fighting in which Indian origin men were made to work for British because India's selfish kings gave them room rather than unite together and kick them out.

We were actually helped by the Japanese to fight off the pesky European colonials. Heard of INA?

Wrong. You're a different country despite sharing language and culture with the mainland. How many people recognize you compare to your comrades? Did forming a separate government off an island make you an identity? It didn't despite the language factor.

BTW there is a common language in India which is Hindi. Unlike your communist counterpart, here it is not mandated but left to the people to learn it. Even in the deepest parts of southern and eastern India, people today know Hindi thanks to the spread of bollywood and entertainment industry.

Let me give you an example; my mother language is Denzongkha which I speak with my parents and siblings. However, when I am with my friends from other states, I speak in Hindi which even they do and I am talking about friends from southern India, western India and of course my adjoining regions.

We have our bits and pieces of regional accents but we understand each other very well.

Here, common language is taught through arts, culture, music etc rather than at a political party's gunpoint (hint hint: Mandarin).

Out nation's linguistic structure baffles many countries but that is only because they don't understand Indian cultural mindset. :)

Wrong. You're a different country despite sharing language and culture with the mainland. How many people recognize you compare to your comrades? Did forming a separate government off an island make you an identity? It didn't despite the language factor.

BTW there is a common language in India which is Hindi. Unlike your communist counterpart, here it is not mandated but left to the people to learn it. Even in the deepest parts of southern and eastern India, people today know Hindi thanks to the spread of bollywood and entertainment industry.

Let me give you an example; my mother language is Denzongkha which I speak with my parents and siblings. However, when I am with my friends from other states, I speak in Hindi which even they do and I am talking about friends from southern India, western India and of course my adjoining regions.

We have our bits and pieces of regional accents but we understand each other very well.

Here, common language is taught through arts, culture, music etc rather than at a political party's gunpoint (hint hint: Mandarin).

Out nation's linguistic structure baffles many countries but that is only because they don't understand Indian cultural mindset. :)

Couldn't have explained it with this much clarity. :D

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom