What's new

Japan Defence Forum

Ha ha ha! That's right. The ladies / girls are , from my experience, at least 3rd Dan in either Karate , Aikido , Judo. I had the unfortunate pleasure of learning this first hand many years ago.

Some more of these tough "cookies"

t5o6.jpg

c1uc.jpg

q5wz.jpg

uqng.jpg

w5kf.jpg

syed.jpg

hgs4.jpg

44wl.jpg

zqly.jpg

Dear Lord! She is mega cute and military. Japanese ladies rock.

Raytheon supplying Japan with Phalanx upgrade kits

Japan upgrading ship defense system - UPI.com

Raytheon-supplying-Japan-with-Phalanx-upgrade-kits.jpg

Phalanx Close-In Weapons System. (U.S. Navy photo)

PARIS, Oct. 30 (UPI) -- A multi-year bulk buy contract has been awarded to Raytheon to provide Japan with upgrade kits and other equipment for the Phalanx Close-In Weapons System.
Phalanx is used on Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force ships and a is critical defense capability against threats that have penetrated outer defense systems.

"Phalanx provides the critical inner-layer of protection to sailors around the globe against threats that are continually evolving," said Rick Nelson, vice president of Raytheon Missile Systems' Naval and Area Mission Defense product line. "Thanks to its array of sensors, Phalanx brings a proven solution against threats launched from land, sea or air."

The Phalanx was brought into service with the U.S. Navy in 1980. The system consists of a rapid-fire, six-barrel 20 mm gun with a computer radar control for acquiring and tracking threats.

The gun can fire at a rate of 4,500 rounds a minute. Effective range is about two miles.

Additional equipment to be supplied to Japan under the contract, which is worth more than $200 million, include support equipment and hardware spares, Raytheon said.

Raytheon made the contract announcement at the Euronaval 2014 exhibition in France

Attachments

• e0b512167d13c3a5d5a8b6f71bb085d3.jpg
    e0b512167d13c3a5d5a8b6f71bb085d3.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 30
Something like that.

A Soryu-Class is worth 540 million USD per sub.

@ViXuyen ,

Here is a Soryu Class:

e7cf203291b36e0f71d5147e8e8c8598.jpg

I have a question Nihonjin1051, in the Soryu sub deal with Australia the price seems to be around to $2 billion per sub, so I wonder, how does it go from $540 million to 2 billion? Do you have any details about that deal that can help to explain the cost? Thanks.

Great thread, keep up the good work!!!!

Last edited:
The Anthem of the Japanese Maritime Self Defense Force
Gunkan March

Tribute to all Japanese soldiers who died fighting for the nation, and people of Japan. Never shall Your memory be forgotten nor shall it ever be trampled and discarded , ever.

I have a question Nihonjin1051, in the Soryu sub deal with Australia the price seems to be around to $2 billion per sub, so I wonder, how does it go from $540 million to 2 billion? Do you have any details about that deal that can help to explain the cost? Thanks.

Well, like I know, 12 subs / $20 billion, include TOT for maintenance, supply, repair these subs in Australia, and new Sub for RAN maybe has Li-ion batteries, so it can make the cost rise ....

Well, like I know, 12 subs / $20 billion, include TOT for maintenance, supply, repair these subs in Australia, and new Sub for RAN maybe has Li-ion batteries, so it can make the cost rise ....

So what you are saying is that the 20 billion is actually the cost of the subs during their whole service life including maintenance and mid life upgrade, correct?

The last sub that Japan ordered, the one with lLi-ion batteries was nearly 700 million.

The ones to be built for the Australians will be Lithium Ion Battery powered, cost will be higher , but given greater power capability and overall energy efficiency, it will benefit the Australians. The price is quite comparable to what the Germans are offering. So, it's not that expensive .

So what you are saying is that the 20 billion is actually the cost of the subs during their whole service life including maintenance and mid life upgrade, correct?

The last sub that Japan ordered, the one with lLi-ion batteries was nearly 700 million.

Take into consideration electronics , weapons, and service provision during the life of these units.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom