What's new

Janes : UK to retire Tranche 1 Typhoons with more than half of airframe hours remaining

So far they have ordered the least capable (in terms of range and payload) and most expensive version of the F35.. The B (Lift-fan) version

They didn't just order it randomly. The -35B is used for the US marines and the British forces have a similar model and familiarity with managing the VSTOL (remember the Harrier?). So they prefer it.

Smart and logical move. Nothing beats -35 and UK's already adopted these so it makes sense to get more of those. -35 ensure air supremacy and allow UK to be the big dog in EU. EFT's allow them to just have a "potent" fighter with 50-50 chances of losing it in a fight. The cost of upgrading these is a lot and these still wouldn't come near -35's standards.

These can serve some other nation really well.

Honestly, even DOD will be fed up with F-35 as its cost vs benefit wont be positive, and there are already hints by USAF chief to have advanced single engine 4 gen fighter to compensate for numbers, and I am sure USAF won't be procuring 1763 F-35 as it stopped at 195 against 381 Raptors it required.

I seriously doubt them. Also how much US components they have. Plus 30 won't work for us. Also when we can get J-10 C in really large numbers. We can match India's order of Rafale with same order for J-10. We can't do that with EF.

Is it possible to upgrade these to the later tranche variants?

You can, it’s just that nobody is stupid enough to pay the costs associated with doing so. The tranche 1 is a really stupid plane and the typhoon in general is just a bad idea. I despise it with a passion, it’s the result of industrial protectionism that gave you sub par performance for a price tag that gets you so, so much better.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can, it’s just that nobody is stupid enough to pay the costs associated with doing so. The tranche 1 is a really stupid plane and the typhoon in general is just a bad idea. I despise it with a passion, it’s the result of industrial protectionism that gave you sub par performance for a price tag that gets you so, so much better.

Typhoon is for idiots and Arabs, some may say those are the same though.
Typhoon being a bad jet i disagree on. Having a stupidly expensive price tag i agree on

Offer UK JF-17. Its a modern AC with low operating costs.

Many western countries will be forced to choose between defense spending and social programs/entitlements. UK is ahead of the curve on this. Balance sheets are horrible. Debt payments alone will be bigger then any other part of the budget. Even the USA will be affected.

Last edited:
West won't sell us even their second or third tier A2A aircraft. Stop daydreaming. J10C is the way to go for us.

Between these and the German Tranche 1, alot of used platforms on the market.

It'd be nice if we could lease a few for DACT. @SQ8
Well if you want to have a wish list why not grab some of the sentinels that got retired early....
West won't sell us even their second or third tier A2A aircraft. Stop daydreaming. J10C is the way to go for us.
They will if Pak stumps up the cash....That's has always been the issue rather than politics...

the kinematic performance is good. Launching a missile from a higher altitude and at a higher speed increases the probability of K
Plus they can supercruise with a meaningful payload.

I wonder if these can be upgraded with CAPTOR-E radar ?
The Tranche 1 cannot be upgraded, and does not support Meteor.
They have an old onboard computer that does not have the horsepower. The communication links have been upgraded.
The development engineers will not be allowed to spend time on improving Tranche 1. It is resources better used on T3 and later.
Is it possible to upgrade these to the later tranche variants?
They are so different, that the upgrade cost is close to the cost of a new T3.

The Tranche 1 cannot be upgraded, and does not support Meteor.
They have an old onboard computer that does not have the horsepower. The communication links have been upgraded.
The development engineers will not be allowed to spend time on improving Tranche 1. It is resources better used on T3 and later.

They are so different, that the upgrade cost is close to the cost of a new T3.
WRONG
typhoon t1 underwent BLOCK5 upgrade in 2008-2010 allowing them to use most of air to ground weapons and all air to air weapons.

Its open knowledge a small google.search will help you
Problem with block 5 is it still not truely multirole fighter with no SEAD or antiship capability and VERY HIGH maintaince cost
I will call block 5 more like pakistani f16s which have no SEAD or harpoons

Back
Top Bottom