What's new

J-20 vs F-22

well because it has been the King of the Hill for 20 years and now a New player its gearing up to bring some challenge to this superb air craft...:victory:

and its not a 1 vs 1 match any ways, the J-20 its having home court advantage and numeric advantages also....:wave:
What the hell are you talking about? F-22 came into operational use in 2005.

Also, we know very little of F-22's actual capabilities, and even less of J-20's. A production variant is still a good 6 to 7 years away and you want to compare? Base on what? Certainly people from AVIC 1 are optimistic about some areas, but any comparison is useless at this point.

I swear my IQ dropped 10 points after reading this thread.

I count the YF-22 first flight as the Raptor's hatching day...:wave:

Brother you a troll...:undecided:
No, you are for starting such a crappy thread. Before you start calling people trolls, better to ask why nobody wants to take you seriously.

This thread is funny! But I will take the bait.

US air force is a big fan of the energy maneuverability theory. It requires the fighters to maintain high energy during the dog fight. It has settled down to about 42 degree wings and very powerful engine for sustained turn rate. I doubt J-20 can out-turn F-22 on sustained turn.

However, there are different tactics in dog fight. Even with 3G fighters, Mirage-2000 is a prime example. It has amazing ability to reduce speed to achieve the instant turn rate. This is also reflected on USN's F/A-18. Between the exercises between F-16 and F/A-18, (based on an article I read, on Air Force magazine, by a navy pilot), it is very rare that F-16 can get a first shot against F/A-18. The writer himself never lost a fight against F-16. Usually, F-16's tactic is to accelerate way past, hoping to get out of the range of the short-range missile, then turn.

By the way, wasn't F/A-18 the only 3G fighter which had a kill against F-22 in the exercises?

J-20's delta wing (like Typhoon, Rafael, Mirage-2000) has a very high drag when turning, thus can reduce the speed and turn quickly.

So, if we compare the ability to dog fight, I would say J-20 will get the first shot. F-22 possible would use the same tactic as F-16 vs F/A-18, blaze past then turn after 10 miles or so. If it can evade the first missile, it has the advantage over J-20 on energy and J-20 would have little chance.

By the way, that scenario is one-against-one. If it is a group fight, it would be suicidal to reduce speed to turn. In that case, the J-20's chance is much lower unless it gets super powerful engine (WS-15?). But what's the chance that 4G fighters have a group dog fight?

:D:D:D:D:D:D friend he is a beginner, dont be too harsh on him....i guess what zheng meant was China was forced to develop its own advanced weaponary systems, coz some other nations (probably pointing to the U.S) have highly sophisticated weapon systems which cause threat to China, so China has to develop not just for its won interests but to balance the world power as well````and i give up on the last sentense :O

This thread is funny! But I will take the bait.

US air force is a big fan of the energy maneuverability theory. It requires the fighters to maintain high energy during the dog fight. It has settled down to about 42 degree wings and very powerful engine for sustained turn rate. I doubt J-20 can out-turn F-22 on sustained turn.

However, there are different tactics in dog fight. Even with 3G fighters, Mirage-2000 is a prime example. It has amazing ability to reduce speed to achieve the instant turn rate. This is also reflected on USN's F/A-18. Between the exercises between F-16 and F/A-18, (based on an article I read, on Air Force magazine, by a navy pilot), it is very rare that F-16 can get a first shot against F/A-18. The writer himself never lost a fight against F-16. Usually, F-16's tactic is to accelerate way past, hoping to get out of the range of the short-range missile, then turn.

By the way, wasn't F/A-18 the only 3G fighter which had a kill against F-22 in the exercises?

J-20's delta wing (like Typhoon, Rafael, Mirage-2000) has a very high drag when turning, thus can reduce the speed and turn quickly.

So, if we compare the ability to dog fight, I would say J-20 will get the first shot. F-22 possible would use the same tactic as F-16 vs F/A-18, blaze past then turn after 10 miles or so. If it can evade the first missile, it has the advantage over J-20 on energy and J-20 would have little chance.

By the way, that scenario is one-against-one. If it is a group fight, it would be suicidal to reduce speed to turn. In that case, the J-20's chance is much lower unless it gets super powerful engine (WS-15?). But what's the chance that 4G fighters have a group dog fight?
No it was not. The details of the story do not exists. The propagators of the tale implied that there is a unique weakness in the F-22 that only the F-18 can exploit.

But what's the chance that 4G fighters have a group dog fight?
while one raptor its bussy with one J-20 another J-20 could be setting up a trap for the raptor, in a worst case senario the free J-20 could shoot down its own brother in a kamikaze way(taking the Raptor with also)...

No it was not. The details of the story do not exists. The propagators of the tale implied that there is a unique weakness in the F-22 that only the F-18 can exploit.

it did happen, I have seen pic of a Growler with a F-22 kill mark... if the SuperHornet a 4th gen fighter was able to find a weakness, the J-20 being a 5th gen would also do that...:china:

it did happen, I have seen pic of a Growler with a F-22 kill mark... if the SuperHornet a 4th gen fighter was able to find a weakness, the J-20 being a 5th gen would also do that...:china:
I know that story. I have no problems acknowledging the EF-18 crew's testimony as honest, but like I said, the details do not exist for us to know any better. The issue and question here is that if there is such a weakness, it would have been consistently exposed a long time ago. I see this as no different than how the Serbs got lucky but that story got blown out of proportions.

Was there other fighters beating F-22 in dog fights?

That particular exercise did have some details, including the photo of the F-22 in the crosshair, taken by the F/A-18. I also read the detailed story by the pilot. Sorry, I don't ever save the link to those stories.

By the way, during NATO exercises, Rafale was able to get some ties against F-22. That was discussed a lot in some Typhoon vs Rafael threads.

while one raptor its bussy with one J-20 another J-20 could be setting up a trap for the raptor, in a worst case senario the free J-20 could shoot down its own brother in a kamikaze way(taking the Raptor with also)...

2 against 2. Don't forget the wing-man of the first F-22.

like I said, the details do not exist for us to know any better..
I bet it is top secret, as not to expose the Raptor's weakness...:wave: if there is one, surely the J-20 of all planes have the best chances of dectecting it aswell...:china:

I know that story. I have no problems acknowledging the EF-18 crew's testimony as honest, but like I said, the details do not exist for us to know any better. The issue and question here is that if there is such a weakness, it would have been consistently exposed a long time ago. I see this as no different than how the Serbs got lucky but that story got blown out of proportions.

In such exercises, doesnt the F-22 fly with most of its abilities 'shutdown'?

Back
Top Bottom