What's new

Italian envoy cannot leave India

Believe it or not i'm with the Indians on this one. What the Italians did was outrageous and this is the chance for India to show herself to the world. Is India indeed a potential suppa power ? Or is India merely a banana republic and is still begging for crums from the white man ? This move is already a step in the right direction. And if those marines are not returned to India then i hope the Italian envoy can find a nice resting home in India !

I guess you are right here.... If india feel that its a superpower ( or it has the plans to become one)..... I guess this is the right way..... But then what comes in between is our corrupt politicians and "Madam"

One needs to put the entire picture into focus, the core at which are UNCLOS agreements and adherence of each sovereign nation to them without simply looking at the diplomatic blowback for India in the longer/shorter run. The Italians have simply run roughshod giving no afterthought on the possible repercussions. Now that the ball has been set rolling, International Jurisprudence of this case should be the arbiter and not the fallout.

India has argued continuously, including in a case filed by/against NY city that international treaties supercedes any domestic law. That was upheld in the U.S. by their courts. We cannot change our stance without it hurting us bad. Imagine Indian leaders being hauled up on some charges(Human rights abuses. riots) in foreign courts because it is their domestic law. You can see where I'm going........

Believe it or not i'm with the Indians on this one. What the Italians did was outrageous and this is the chance for India to show herself to the world. Is India indeed a potential suppa power ? Or is India merely a banana republic and is still begging for crums from the white man ? This move is already a step in the right direction. And if those marines are not returned to India then i hope the Italian envoy can find a nice resting home in India !
Let me tell you of an incident to the SupaPowa Chinese that happened in the Kosovo war. The CIA accidentally/deliberately which is debatable gave the coordinates of the Chinese embassy in Belgrade for NATO to bomb and in return all they got were a few million dollars in chump change and a token apology. Did the SupaPowa return the favour ? No sirree, it is still licking its wounds and buying the debt of the bomber.

India has argued continuously, including in a case filed by/against NY city that international treaties supercedes any domestic law. That was upheld in the U.S. by their courts. We cannot change our stance without it hurting us bad. Imagine Indian leaders being hauled up on some charges(Human rights abuses. riots) in foreign courts because it is their domestic law. You can see where I'm going........
So if NM gets elected as PM tomorrow, and UK/US detains and imprisons him provided there is a UNSC declaration as a globally wanted Human rights violator, then should we allow the International laws to be suppressed for him ? If I was someone with integrity to uphold International Laws at any cost, then i would most definitely give it precedence. But if my Leader is more important than the Law, then......

NEW DELHI: Airports across the country have been alerted to prevent Italian ambassador Daniele Mancini from leaving the country.

The decision was taken by the Union home ministry a day after the Supreme Court restrained the Italian ambassador from leaving India without its permission, official sources said.

The apex court had taken exception to Italian government's refusal to send back two naval guards charged with the killing of two fishermen.

The two naval guards were allowed by the court to go to Italy to cast their vote in the elections there after the Italian ambassador had given an assurance to send them back.

Attorney general (AG) G E Vahanvati had brought the issue yesterday before the apex court, saying that "its a breach of undertaking given to the highest court of the land and the government is extremely concerned about it".

After hearing the AG's submission, the bench issued notices to the ambassador and the two naval guards and asked them to file their response by March 18.

The two naval guards were on board Italian vessel 'Enrica Lexie', when they shot dead two fishermen off the Kerala coast on February 15, last year.

Airports alerted to prevent Italian envoy from leaving country - The Times of India

There is something called TIT for TAT or equivelant retaliation.
If Italy can break the international laws against India, why should india be silent?
Ambassador can be expelled.

How long this drama is going to carry on? Was supreme court not aware of the fact that Italian law permits it's nationals to vote via post? Why did they let the marines travel in the first place? Foreign diplomats have immunity & Indian authorities are either fishing in troubled waters or playing as per the pre-written script!!

Strictly from a personal standpoint, I really don't understand the hype surrounding this particular case. Indian fisherman routinely find themselves at the receiving end in waters adjoining Sri Lanka and Pakistan. They are shot at/killed and are imprisoned without any legal proceedings or allowed to contact their families. Even sailors in the Merchant Navy have been taken hostage by Somali pirates on numerous occasions. Isn't it a matter of national shame when a Pakistani(and not our government, NGOs or citizens) steps up to rescue our sailors? Is our national pride challenged solely in the case of the perpetrators being Westerners? Isn't that reverse racism?

With the families of the victims and the boat owner duly compensated, this episode already has a better prognosis than the vast majority of cases involving Indian fishermen. Anything beyond this outcome is a bonus but I wouldn't hold my breath for it. This might be hard to take in but it is merely a neutral observation.

One needs to put the entire picture into focus, the core at which are UNCLOS agreements and adherence of each sovereign nation to them without simply looking at the diplomatic blowback for India in the longer/shorter run. The Italians have simply run roughshod giving no afterthought on the possible repercussions. Now that the ball has been set rolling, International Jurisprudence of this case should be the arbiter and not the fallout.

One indeed need to put the entire picture into focus.

Pakistan has sent terrorists and army men into Indian territories have have killed more than 1000 Indians in cold blood. Pakistani artillery shelling have killed more than 100 Indians civilians at our borders, not to mention the army-men killed. Yet we pander to their whims and discuss granting them group visas and visa on arrival :disagree: ...and talk about normalizing relationships with pakistan :lol:

Those Italian marines have only killed 2 fishermen under suspicious circumstances.......and have been arrested only because they choose to surrender to the Indian authority and admitted to the shooting.

Now look at the entire picture and consider our credibility with the rest of the world before taking any actions against Italy. :lol:

Possession is 9/10 of the law.........we have lost possession ...better to forget this incident and move on with our lives. There is nothing we can do except whine like little girls.

Strictly from a personal standpoint, I really don't understand the hype surrounding this particular case. Indian fisherman routinely find themselves at the receiving end in waters adjoining Sri Lanka and Pakistan. They are shot at/killed and are imprisoned without any legal proceedings or contact with their families. Even sailors in the Merchant Navy have been taken hostage by Somali pirates on numerous occasions. Isn't it a matter of national shame when a Pakistani(and not our government, NGOs or citizens) steps up to rescue our sailors? Is our national pride challenged solely in the case of the perpetrators being Westerners? Isn't that reverse racism?

With the families of the victims and the boat owner duly compensated, this episode already has a better prognosis than the vast majority of cases involving Indian fishermen. Anything beyond this outcome is a bonus but I wouldn't hold my breath for it. This might be hard to take in but it is merely a neutral observation.

Are you saying Indian laws were not violated?

Is our national pride challenged solely in the case of the perpetrators being Westerners? Isn't that reverse racism?

It's not racism: it's what I have been predicting for a long time.

As India rises, and its nationalism rises, it will seek validation of its newfound power by head-butting ever bigger opponents.

To be fair, that's human nature: all rising countries will do this.

It's not racism: it's what I have been predicting for a long time.

As India rises, and its nationalism rises, it will seek validation of its newfound power by head-butting ever bigger opponents.

To be fair, that's human nature: all rising countries will do this.

Italy is a bigger country? In what way brother?

Back
Top Bottom