What's new

It’s time India took steps to contain China

Well written especially the above edited portion - India lost out strategically bigtime when it lost the 1960s war when Nehru's NAM unravelled and other countries stopped seeing India as a global power. One more point which the author had missed out is that the Indo-China war resulted in Pakistan and China establishing the strategic alliance which is the biggest security threat India is facing.

And the string of pearls - Indian leaders(and many Indians as well including many in this very forum) have still not recognized the threat but though the threat itself was identified by leaders like George Fernandes as early as 1990s.

actually,Indian govt recognized the threat.but the thing is that,China is still decades away to project its power in this region,let alone posting warships into these countries.and India is doing the same thing,slowly but surely,it is taking fight to Chinese territory.warning is clear,you meddle IOR,then you'll see Indian overseas deployment in SCS.and China has much bigger problem to counter.IOR is virtually under Indian control as no other country can't contend with it here.but in China,even when they're significantly larger,are struggling against powerful neighbour navies,let alone USN's deployment.and String of Pearls can be easily contended with "Iron Curtain"..

I never understood contain, what does this mean?

Is India going to nuke China?
Stop Chinese trade with EU, US, Africa and Asia?
Stop all Chinese research?
Stop all babies born in China?

I mean other than cutting off trade, stopping military modernization, what exactly can a country do to contain another?

If it's just alliances, even disregard the fact that alliances change on the fly, just the fact, having allies doesn't mean taking effective action, makes this containment thing useless.

actually,Indian govt recognized the threat.but the thing is that,China is still decades away to project its power in this region,let alone posting warships into these countries.and India is doing the same thing,slowly but surely,it is taking fight to Chinese territory.warning is clear,you meddle IOR,then you'll see Indian overseas deployment in SCS.and China has much bigger problem to counter.IOR is virtually under Indian control as no other country can't contend with it here.but in China,even when they're significantly larger,are struggling against powerful neighbour navies,let alone USN's deployment.and String of Pearls can be easily contended with "Iron Curtain"..

On the highlighted - The smaller neighbors - especially Rajapaksha and Prachanda does seem to believe differently nor India's actions convey the message. If you look at the recent statement of Gotabaya or actions of Prachanda it is like flicking off India. And India's reactions in certain situations - in how India jumped to help SL in the SL war after seeing China and Pakistan gaining influence in SL is not exactly confidence oozing.

50 years on, the Indian still don't get it.
Let me give you a hint.
Yes, Mao won and China has a louder say in international fora. So?

I never understood contain, what does this mean?

Is India going to nuke China?
Stop Chinese trade with EU, US, Africa and Asia?
Stop all Chinese research?
Stop all babies born in China?

I mean other than cutting off trade, stopping military modernization, what exactly can a country do to contain another?

If it's just alliances, even disregard the fact that alliances change on the fly, just the fact, having allies doesn't mean taking effective action, makes this containment thing useless.

Limit power projection in the region.

On the highlighted - The smaller neighbors - especially Rajapaksha and Prachanda does seem to believe differently nor India's actions convey the message. If you look at the recent statement of Gotabaya or actions of Prachanda it is like flicking off India. And India's reactions in certain situations - in how India jumped to help SL in the SL war after seeing China and Pakistan gaining influence in SL is not exactly confidence oozing.

I've noticed that buddy.but again,SL was always in the opposite front of India and they have a nasty habit to help enemy during the wartime.but then,its Indian Govt's fault to help them during wartime and to help Tamils as well.SL govt is responsible for Tamils,not us.so take tough decision against them.timid handling of foreign relation is the peril that is why we're suffering.and for Nepal,situation is way better than past as Prachanda realized that he can't nullify India's influence on Nepal and as their own govt is not in so good position,he lowered the pitch.then again,Indo-Nepal friendship treaty should be rewritten,as the time changes,it should cover new aspects as well.we don't need to use Iron Fist on our neighbours,but we should try to make sure that they remain in our sphere of influence.Even when we're 2nd highest donor of aid and investment,we can't influence smaller nations like SL,then its our own fault.

50 years on, the Indian still don't get it.
Let me give you a hint.
Yes, Mao won and China has a louder say in international fora. So?

so,as the title suggests..... "It’s time India took steps to contain China"

Containment of China is something India might do because, Chinese have no option from India they continue to still assist Pakistan in strategic weapons and doubt that end anytime soon.

Chinese have made up their mind so India should show reciprocity.

However, India doesn't need to worry much as China is already contained.

To the north is Russia,

to the East is Japan, South Korea, Taiwan with American bases.

To the South is Philippines again with American bases and then is Vietnam, Indonesia both not comfortable with Chinese influence.

To the South-West is India,

and only opening for Chinese is the West i.e Pakistan and Central Asian Republics, however with 2014 pull out of USA from Afghanistan and probable return of Taliban, even those regions with become a problem for China, with possible spillovers in Xinjaing Region.

Currently India has just been lurking to keep an eye on China and benefiting from Chinese belligerence in the region, in future that may change however.

I've noticed that buddy.but again,SL was always in the opposite front of India and they have a nasty habit to help enemy during the wartime.but then,its Indian Govt's fault to help them during wartime and to help Tamils as well.SL govt is responsible for Tamils,not us.so take tough decision against them.timid handling of foreign relation is the peril that is why we're suffering.and for Nepal,situation is way better than past as Prachanda realized that he can't nullify India's influence on Nepal and as their own govt is not in so good position,he lowered the pitch.then again,Indo-Nepal friendship treaty should be rewritten,as the time changes,it should cover new aspects as well.we don't need to use Iron Fist on our neighbours,but we should try to make sure that they remain in our sphere of influence.Even when we're 2nd highest donor of aid and investment,we can't influence smaller nations like SL,then its our own fault.

so,as the title suggests..... "It’s time India took steps to contain China"

I was not alluding to that but was stating the fact that SL has gone back on its promise to India. But you having brought the topic regarding tamils and myself having a strong sense of opinion regarding that I will express it as well.

India hijacked the SL tamil cause a long time ago - It shouldn't have done that but it did for its own interests - so India was responsible then and is now - It signed its own brain creation - the 13th amendment treaty with Jayawardene in 1980s and Rajapaksha brothers provided assurance for a 13 plus amendment to get India into SL war.

I was not alluding to that but was stating the fact that SL has gone back on its promise to India. But you having brought the topic regarding tamils and myself having a strong sense of opinion regarding that I will express it as well.

India hijacked the SL tamil cause a long time ago - It shouldn't have done that but it did for its own interests - so India was responsible then and is now - It signed its own brain creation - the 13th amendment treaty with Jayawardene in 1980s and Rajapaksha brothers provided assurance for a 13 plus amendment to get India into SL war.

India's most foolish act was sending IPKF in Jaffna.We should have let them slaughter their own people,we just burnt our own hands in that fire.I don't think India should push it now.we've lost enough influence on them,pushing this matter will endangered the relation further.If Tamil Parties in SL aren't making any demands,why should we??and be assured,if 13th amendment not implemented,it'll lead to another civil war.You can't throttle a section of civilian population's voice with mass murder and get spared.and for this time,we should not involve ourself.let international community decide their future..

For India to become a super power and beat China at their game, we must make Lalu Prasad Yadav the defence minister, Mulayam as home minister, Raja as Finance minister and Mayawati as the PM. :)

India's most foolish act was sending IPKF in Jaffna.We should have let them slaughter their own people,we just burnt our own hands in that fire.I don't think India should push it now.we've lost enough influence on them,pushing this matter will endangered the relation further.If Tamil Parties in SL aren't making any demands,why should we??and be assured,if 13th amendment not implemented,it'll lead to another civil war.You can't throttle a section of civilian population's voice with mass murder and get spared.and for this time,we should not involve ourself.let international community decide their future..

It is not as simple as you had stated. Even before India sent IPKF India was meddling and was hijacking the SL tamil issue - No one called for training of LTTE. SL tamil movement was non-violent until India hijacked it by training LTTE and other militant groups and turning a non-violent movement into a violent one. And LTTE slaughtered all the non-violent movement leaders and now there is no one to talk on behalf of SL tamils. You need to understand that there is void in the SL tamil leadership due to this very reason.

So India can't wash off its hands and can't talk about non-interference - if India did not want to interfere it shouldn't have done so in the SL war in 2009. India's involvement was the turning point of the war.

No one give enough dues to the USN. USN is in control of SCS and Indian Ocean. This is the fact that everyone agrees.

It is not as simple as you had stated. Even before India sent IPKF India was meddling and was hijacking the SL tamil issue - No one called for training of LTTE. SL tamil movement was non-violent until India hijacked it by training LTTE and other militant groups and turning a non-violent movement into a violent one. And LTTE slaughtered all the non-violent movement leaders and now there is no one to talk on behalf of SL tamils. You need to understand that there is void in the SL tamil leadership due to this very reason.

So India can't wash off its hands and can't talk about non-interference - if India did not want to interfere it shouldn't have done so in the SL war in 2009. India's involvement was the turning point of the war.

I agree and i knew that point.but thats what I'm saying.India should simply walk off from that issue now,especially when SL govt is trying to make India an enemy.why bother with SL's issues when after help they simply forget their own assurance??we should take tougher foreign policy than we're following right now.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom