What's new

ISRO Tests New Rocket Engine That Could Make Launches 10 Times Cheaper

Awesome. .... congrats to ISRO

Can we use it on military appliances? ?????

Theoretically yes (efficient hypersonic delivery of munitions). Will need a lot more development for that though.

@Nilgiri what would be the prospective application of this very technology other than space transport (RLV-TD)?

Anything you want to increase the speed of to hypersonic regime.....so air transport (once it is sized up appreciably if it is possible) and many military applications in between (all types of missiles).

That will need much technological development though to scale up economies etc. Space and upper atmosphere is the best bet given the rarified atmosphere that makes it easier for scramjet operation.

For layman's explanation I would suggest the book "Spaceplanes: From Airport to Spaceport" by Matthew Bentley

Haha, the Chinese are laughing at you all. You all just tested a rocket, we do it too:

The Pakistan’s first ever hybrid rocket to launch soon

Source: https://defence.pk/threads/the-pakistan’s-first-ever-hybrid-rocket-to-launch-soon.446290/#ixzz4Ib5byKsU

Hi @Oscar
I am quoting you here,just to bring your focus to the point this gentleman is making here. I am sure he wouldnt know about "hybrid rocket" that one of the pakistani university is working on and yet he is taking a dig at one of the most complex methods of combustion- i.e the supersonic combustion(sustaining which is a nightmare in terms of sheer gas dynamics!) inside the combustion chamber of a scramjet rocket- a technology which only a few countries have!

And you should stop comparing with us. Its obvious, India just tested this rocket after we declared our test.

No one is in a d!ck measuring competition sir. Besides, logically speaking do you really believe an organization with meagre resources like ISRO would spend precious time researching the current innovation from those Pakistani students while working on their own and test it after because of a perceived finish line? Come on man, the two technologies are like apples and oranges, there is no finish line. Celebrate the innovation each mind is capable of and think of the potential rather than taking undeserved potshots

One thing I envy about India is ISRO.
ISRO is taking huge strides in a short time.All stakeholders deserve congratulations.
India has been blessed with this great platform in ISRO.
It's unfortunate that ISRO's Pakistani counterpart is a joke.Provided a platform like ISRO,Pakistani scientists and engineers could have shown the world what they're made of.

Hi @Oscar
I am quoting you here,just to bring your focus to the point this gentleman is making here. I am sure he wouldnt know about "hybrid rocket" that one of the pakistani university is working on and yet he is taking a dig at one of the most complex methods of combustion- i.e the supersonic combustion(sustaining which is a nightmare in terms of sheer gas dynamics!) inside the combustion chamber of a scramjet rocket- a technology which only a few countries have!

One thing I envy about India is ISRO.
ISRO is taking huge strides in a short time.All stakeholders deserve congratulations.
India has been blessed with this great platform in ISRO.
It's unfortunate that ISRO's Pakistani counterpart is a joke.Provided a platform like ISRO,Pakistani scientists and engineers could have shown the world what they're made of.

Unfortunately ISRO isn't where the cream of Indian crop goes.. Though that might change in coming days..Private sector both in India and overseas still remains very lucrative in India and takes away lot of talent after graduation.

If Indian Govt Agencies and Institutions were more competitive in career prospects then we would have been giving competition to US considering the scale of academically inclined students we produce but for now industry takes away most of them rather than state R&D institutions.

Unfortunately ISRO isn't where the cream of Indian crop goes.. Though that might change in coming days..Private sector still remains very lucrative in India and takes away lot of talent after graduation.

But there are still a lot people who fany 'sarkari nokri' i.e govt. job,don't they ?

In Pakistan,SUPARCO and NESCOM are still a lucrative destination for bright graduates just because it's a govt job.

Unfortunately ISRO isn't where the cream of Indian crop goes.. Though that might change in coming days..Private sector still remains very lucrative in India and takes away lot of talent after graduation.

@Spectre
Thats absolutely correct,Most the cream-our IIT grads either leave for US right after graduation or work at american R&D centres in bangalore or hyd. Unfortunately half of them join IIMs. But hardly anyone from IITs join DRDO or ISRO. If we can get our IIT lots to work at DRDO/ISRO- I am sure we would be on a different playing field altogether!

@Spectre
Thats absolutely correct,Most the cream-our IIT grads either leave for US right after graduation or work at american R&D centres in bangalore or hyd. Unfortunately half of them join IIMs. But hardly anyone from IITs join DRDO or ISRO. If we can get our IIT lots to work at DRDO/ISRO- I am sure we would be on a different playing field altogether!

To be honest, I am one of those..

I did one of my summer internships at IPR (Institute for Plasma Research) working for ITER despite having an offer for paid internship abroad but the experience left much to be desired.. There was no urgency, no structure to the internship, hardly any guidance.. It is just the field - Designing a table top tokamac was so interesting that I persisted with it. One thing which was good is that there were no restrictions on timings and I had a chauffeur driven transport assigned to me.. Imagine that!!

For my final year internship, I went elsewhere..

Have the Russians and Chinese demonstrated this capability, very impressive, props to the folks at ISRO

in 2011 and the test lasted far longer than 5s.

India has made a baby step.

Still, congratulations.

Back
Top Bottom