What's new

ISRO Tests New Rocket Engine That Could Make Launches 10 Times Cheaper

It's unfortunate that ISRO's Pakistani counterpart is a joke.Provided a platform like ISRO,Pakistani scientists and engineers could have shown the world what they're made of.

@Alpha BeeTee
The state funding to ISRO is in tune of $1.5bn which i feel is rather paltry compared to other space giants like US,china etc. DRDO too gets a funding in tune of $3bn- Kindly note that these are just the R&D fundings-and is different from funding allocated to production. If pakistan wishes to compete(which I believe they should!) then they would have to first start producing first class engineers something on the lines of IITs.
Also note that ISRO is directly under PM of india- it is not under defence ministery,whereas SUPARCO if I am not mistaken falls under SPD-which is the custodian of nuclear weapons of pakistan.
ISRO is also blessed with the established indian industrial set up and a lot of academic interaction between ISRO and IITs-this is something that rarely takes place in pakistan- I am sure pakistani members can elaborate more!

And you should stop comparing with us. Its obvious, India just tested this rocket after we declared our test.

KUDOS TO YOU FOR THE SUCCESSFUL HYBRID TEST.

You are doing same scramjet engine vs hybrid rocket from students. cryogenic engine vs Nasr. !!! You have got a brain dude. lol

ISRO%25E2%2580%2599s%2Bexperiment%2Bon%2Bsupersonic%2Bcombustion%2Bramjet%2B%2528scramjet%2529%2Bengine%2Bfor%2Bdemonstrating%2Bair-breathing%2Bpropulsion%2Btechnology.jpg

ISRO_Scramjet_Advanced_Technology_Vehicle_ATV_1.jpg

Russians tested a system called "Holod" in early 90s....but there is debate as to whether this was a true scramjet.

They have had some notable success but I don't think there has been a full outright confirmed test (but we will need more parameters of this ISRO one like duration of pulse burn etc to get a proper comparison)...though Russians have reported success and burn times of 70+ seconds which would be quite commendable if its a proper scramjet.

There have been reports of a successful Chinese test as well, but details on that are hard to come by....and it may have been a ramjet+. There certainly is no video/photos of the actual test as far as I am aware (though I doubt we will see that for the Indian one either).

http://www.popsci.com/chinese-hypersonic-engine-wins-award-reshapes-speed-race

So "demonstrated" capability (esp with neutral 3rd party verification) is very hard to come by with anyone....so don't take the "joins only 2 nation club" thing too seriously.

What's the difference between RAM JET vs SCRAMJET bro?

I did one of my summer internships at IPR (Institute for Plasma Research) working for ITER despite having an offer for paid internship abroad but the experience left much to be desired.. There was no urgency, no structure to the internship, hardly any guidance.. It is just the field - Designing a table top tokamac was no interesting that I persisted with it. One thing which was good is that there were no restrictions on timings and I had a personal transport assigned to me.. Imagine that!!

For my final year internship, I went elsewhere..

@Spectre
can say about what used to happen two decades back,but right now,ISRO is doing some remarkable work-i can say so because they have a lot of projects going on with IITM.
Similarly not all DRDO is bad- there are some labs that are doing exceptionally well and then there are some labs that are just for the sake,that they have to be there. DRDL is collaborating with IITM on scramjet propulsion.In fact a very very huge combustion research facility has come up recently here. It is one of a kind in india. Now the reason why I am saying IITM is doing a lot of serious stuff in propulsion is based on "research productivity"- a lot of patents too have been filed.In fact one of the professors have been awarded for his patent on prediction and control of combustion instabilities in gas turbine engines- this is a field very very few institutes in the world are currently working on.

Stop quoting me, looks like I set the Indian panties on fire here. Lol thanks for the good laugh.
Don't understand where is the pride being a mouth warrior only..LOL
Do you have any idea what SCRAMJET propulsion technology is?

@Alpha BeeTee
The state funding to ISRO is in tune of $1.5bn which i feel is rather paltry compared to other space giants like US,china etc. DRDO too gets a funding in tune of $3bn- Kindly note that these are just the R&D fundings-and is different from funding allocated to production. If pakistan wishes to compete(which I believe they should!) then they would have to first start producing first class engineers something on the lines of IITs.
Also note that ISRO is directly under PM of india- it is not under defence ministery,whereas SUPARCO if I am not mistaken falls under SPD-which is the custodian of nuclear weapons of pakistan.
ISRO is also blessed with the established indian industrial set up and a lot of academic interaction between ISRO and IITs-this is something that rarely takes place in pakistan- I am sure pakistani members can elaborate more!

I don't think that the engineers from the top Pakistani universities are any less capable than IIT graduates.

It is the university-industry coordination,the lack of funding+resources+oppurtunities+RnD work which is keeping our lot quite on the global scenario.

Top Pakistani universities don't feature well in the gloabal rankings because of no RnD work.

@Spectre
can say about what used to happen two decades back,but right now,ISRO is doing some remarkable work-i can say so because they have a lot of projects going on with IITM.
Similarly not all DRDO is bad- there are some labs that are doing exceptionally well and then there are some labs that are just for the sake,that they have to be there. DRDL is collaborating with IITM on scramjet propulsion.In fact a very very huge combustion research facility has come up recently here. It is one of a kind in india. Now the reason why I am saying IITM is doing a lot of serious stuff in propulsion is based on "research productivity"- a lot of patents too have been filed.In fact one of the professors have been awarded for his patent on prediction and control of combustion instabilities in gas turbine engines- this is a field very very few institutes in the world are currently working on.
Do Chinese have tested it

What is difference BTW WU-14 HGV.

I don't think that the engineers from the top Pakistani universities are any less capable than IIT graduates.

@Alpha BeeTee
We can indeed go on debating but lets just wait here and for a second think,what it takes to get to IITs- I mean just imagine 1.6-1.8 million students competing for roughly 10000 seats!. You will get the answer. Secondly,the faculty of most of the IITs at least in 2016 are either grads of IITs or have a PhD from a decent foreign university. You should also look at the placement and research trends at IITs and compare it with the best you have got in pakistan. Nearly all of american major R&D firms from Texas instruments to microsoft and google visit IITs for R&D jobs and pay them handsomely- this is again sourly lacking in pakistan!

@Spectre

That's great to know - culture was totally different in late 90s/early 2000s .. but good to know things are looking up..

Biggest indicator of this would be the no of "genuine" patents filed and citations in peer reviewed journals..

Back
Top Bottom