What's new

ISRO successfully performs first trajectory correction on Mars Orbiter

1) If successful we would be the first nation in the whole world to land on mars on its maiden flight . Even the likes of Russia and USA couldn't do it .

Setting aside the question of landing, please remember that the Indian mission is built upon the knowledge and experience gained by other countries.

This is not to deny the Indian accomplishment, but a little humility and reality is also in order.

Completely depends upon the parameters and what one wishes to achieve, a soft landing would be required if one intends to take a significant amount of payload (sensitive payload, specially any secondary probes or something akin to a rover) onto the surface otherwise an impact probe (it is still a controlled landing albeit far more rougher on the instruments, ergo the said instruments require hardening) will suffice.

There is a saying amongst pilots, "any landing from which can you can walk away is a good landing".

More seriously, if a spacecraft's instruments are operational and performing as intended, then it's a good landing, regardless of how the instruments arrived on the surface of the planet.

Setting aside the question of landing, please remember that the Indian mission is built upon the knowledge and experience gained by other countries.

can you tell us how and which country has helped us in this particular mission?

This is not to deny the Indian accomplishment, but a little humility and reality is also in order.

There is a saying amongst pilots, "any landing from which can you can walk away is a good landing".

More seriously, if a spacecraft's instruments are operational and performing as intended, then it's a good landing, regardless of how the instruments arrived on the surface of the planet.

Oh that's all well and dandy but the particulars of the mission dictate the nature of the landing, so far we are content with using impact probes, for larger payloads we will have to switch over to more controlled forms of insertion.

can you tell us how and which country has helped us in this particular mission?

Setting aside the French and Russian help in developing engine tech, the US DSN is being used to keep the spacecraft on track in transit.

The algorithms and technology used by the spacecraft to orient itself in space has been in development for decades, much of it in public domain.

All technological achievements build upon existing knowledge, so it's kind of silly to claim that India will do something that even the US and Russia couldn't do.

Oh that's all well and dandy but the particulars of the mission dictate the nature of the landing, so far we are content with using impact probes, for larger payloads we will have to switch over to more controlled forms of insertion.

My point is that the only objective of the landing is to get the spacecraft on the ground in working order including, if required, the ability to take off.

To take an extreme example, look at the bouncing rubber balls used by NASA in a previous landing.

step12_br350.jpg

This is not exactly a precise, slow, soft landing, but it got the job done.

Last edited:
Setting aside the French and Russian help in developing engine tech, the US DSN is being used to keep the spacecraft on track in transit.

The algorithms and technology used by the spacecraft to orient itself in space has been in development for decades, much of it in public domain.

All technological achievements build upon existing knowledge, so it's kind of silly to claim that India will do something that even the US and Russia couldn't do.
1-The vehicle and engine used in this mission is pslv which has been devloped indigenously...
if russia and france are helping us in engines then why gslv failed 3 times continously..
Also,why chinese mission failed(it used russian rocket)..
2-every country uses others DSN to track spacecrafts and that includes America..

1-The vehicle and engine used in this mission is pslv which has been devloped indigenously...
if russia and france are helping us in engines then why gslv failed 3 times continously..
Also,why chinese mission failed(it used russian rocket)..

I didn't say that France and Russia gave you ready-made turnkey engines. I said they helped you with the technology, which is not to deny the work of Indian engineers.

2-every country uses others DSN to track spacecrafts and that includes America..

That's my point. Without the existing infrastructure set in place by the pioneers, it would be hard to get to Mars -- or anywhere.

I didn't say that France and Russia gave you ready-made turnkey engines. I said they helped you with the technology, which is not to deny the work of Indian engineers.

That's my point. Without the existing infrastructure set in place by the pioneers, it would be hard to get to Mars -- or anywhere.
:tup:,Best wishes to SUPARCO.

It should not matter. But the term "landing" is reserved for smooth landing, not crash landing, when it apply to space exploration. So what he said was incorrect.

OK, I give up. He was incorrect......Now a days there is no sense of humour...,,:coffee:

can this mission help us in creating our own deep space n/w ???

My point is that the only objective of the landing is to get the spacecraft on the ground in working order including, if required, the ability to take off.

To take an extreme example, look at the bouncing rubber balls used by NASA in a previous landing.

step12_br350.jpg

This is not exactly a precise, slow, soft landing, but it got the job done.

I remember watching this documentary on landing on Mars using rubber balls when I was in grade 10. I was really impressed and thought it was crazy idea and right out sci-fi. And a few years later they did it I was so damn impressed by NASA

Setting aside the question of landing, please remember that the Indian mission is built upon the knowledge and experience gained by other countries....

LOL.....science advances based on previous knowledge and experience......
Great discoveries are made, based on already existing knowledge and info. available in scientific domain which are gained and shared by some person other than the discoverer......like this, the ever expanding knowledge pool is created from which anyone can gain knowledge and contribute to the advancement of science and tech. by doing something based on it.....this is how science progresses.....it is a collective effort....

Setting aside the French and Russian help in developing engine tech, the US DSN is being used to keep the spacecraft on track in transit...

French or Russians didn't help us in any way to build our rocket engines......unless you're talking about the vast information pool available in 'public domain' about rocketry in which everyone has contribution and from which anyone can acquire knowledge....:lol:

.....The algorithms and technology used by the spacecraft to orient itself in space has been in development for decades, much of it in public domain....

......LOL....Pakistanis can come up with such ridiculous logic to justify their failure.....
Like, The world helped India....:lol:
Indian advancement is based on knowledge available in 'public domain'...:lol:...as if Pakistanis are barred from acquiring knowledge available in 'public domain'...:lol:
....and no one person/country can claim credit for the collective knowledge/info. available in the 'public domain'......as it is formed by the collective effort of humankind....

If one goes by your logic, no scientist/inventor can claim credit for the inventions/discoveries they have made 'cause their achievement is based on previous i.e already existing knowledge gained and shared by some other person....and in turn, that other person have based his ideas on someone else's experience......
No-one re-invents wheel to make a car......and thus, according to your logic, the credit for all the progress made in the field of transportation so far, goes only to the person who invented wheel..:lol:

Last edited:

LOL....if the infrastructure wasn't there, someone or the other would have developed it eventually.....may be India would have developed it....
The credit ofcourse goes to the person/country who does it 'first' but he cannot take credit for all subsequent endevours in that field.....
It's not like, humans would have never gone to space if it were not for the Western countries....

Back
Top Bottom