What's new

Israeli super radars set to give LCA fighter jet enhanced combat capability

Chacha...so you guys had to JV with China for paint??? That's is pathetic!
ok beta we took a part in design and development Phase of JF-17 ,China supplied CNC machines/other machines for the production of JF-17 at Kamra, we are manufacturing 58% fuselage at home i repeat Fuselage including wings, horizantal/vertical tail surfaces and radoms and some of its avionics at home, rest is china's responsiblity, and ok we JV of paint of JF-17 but what for your Tej@$$ it paint come from russia That even more pathetic then our JV on paint @RoyalEnfieldBullet500 :lol::enjoy::rofl::suicide::suicide2:

i dont care for Indian source. But this article is from 2016 and now I'm in mid 2018.... you still in 2016?
And you think engine development is that easy for india which has 0% experience in Jet engine development arena and it was design in the mid of its intended platform Tejas so where are kaveri on Tejas if the development completed , as article said it will be ready on 2020 for testing in various test beds then it will fit in Tejas you delusional @北京烤鴨 :enjoy:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well mate ,
first the expression is " Damn!!!" not "Dam" .
Quick facts- India since Independence has made nearly 5000 small and large dams on the other hand Pakistan has made less than 75.

Coming to the discussion .
How many Asian countries can make a military grade Low bypass turbofan with a dry thrust of 50+ Kn --- Only 2 China and India
How many Asian countries can make AESA radars of all sizes --- Only 5 China , Israel , Japan ,India and Turkey
How many Asian countries can make AESA radars to fit the nosecone of a fighter aircraft - 3 China , Japan and Israel.

is this an english test?...

sorry but indian manufacturing of any thing is lame as it's driving skills...

Very true...just look at Pakistan...they are able to paint their jets from day one and have been doing that for more than a decade.

we at least we didnt waste time or money or lie to the world...

LCA is a prime example india is a sub par manufacture... you simply lack talent in this area

ok beta we took a part in design and development Phase of JF-17 ,China supplied CNC machines/other machines for the production of JF-17 at Kamra, we are manufacturing 58% fuselage at home i repeat Fuselage including wings, horizantal/vertical tail surfaces and radoms and some of its avionics at home, rest is china's responsiblity, and ok we JV of paint of JF-17 but what for your Tej@$$ it paint come from russia That even more pathetic then our JV on paint @RoyalEnfieldBullet500 :lol::enjoy::rofl::suicide::suicide2:

And you think engine development is that easy for india which has 0% experience in Jet engine development arena and it was design in the mid of its intended platform Tejas so where are kaveri on Tejas if the development completed , as article said it will be ready on 2020 for testing in various test beds then it will fit in Tejas you delusional @北京烤鴨 :enjoy:

Is there any skill involved in buying sheet metal and CNC machines running programs developed by a third party? Maybe it is good for Pakistani economy, but nothing to boast about.
It is far away from actual design.

It is not surprising that an old fashioned GaAs AESA radar is ready for integration.

With the launching of two new S-and X-band classes of the GIRAFFE surface radar on 12 May 2014, Saab continues to embark on multifunction radar options, providing a unique capability to nearly all military and security missions. Based on gallium nitride (GaN) semiconductor technology, the new radars include the X-band GIRAFFE 1X and S-band GIRAFFE 4A systems, as well as GIRAFFE 8A which is also operating in the S-band. The two new classes also include Sea GIRAFFE 1X and Sea GIRAFFE 4A as naval variants.

With a detection range of 350km, the latter exceeds twice the detection range of the earlier Sea GIRAFFE system found aboard the Royal Swedish Navy’s VISBY-class corvettes and US Navy’s INDEPENDENCE variant LCS. Saab EDS quotes this radar’s simultaneous detect and classify capacity at more than 1,000 tracks.

Sea GIRAFFE 4A combines air surveillance, air defence, sense and warn, and weapon locating capabilities in a single, low-footprint AESA radar, the company noted. Saab also explained that the GIRAFFE 8A radar is the surface-based variant of the company’s ERIEYE AEW&C radar system, exceeding a range of over 450 kilometres. It is also suitable for the TBMD role.

The GaN semiconductor technology used in the five new GIRAFFE options allows for a much higher output level, providing the radars with a longer range and a capability to detect and track very small objects in the air over distances of over 100 kilometres. Each of the five radars will be relatively cheap to operate and potentially capable of operating in a dense, complex Electronic Countermeasures (ECM) environment and under the harshest climatic conditions. Compared to gallium arsenide (GaAs), which is not wideband and robust enough, GaN is extremely useful for detecting very small airborne targets, including RAM targets, and offers a larger bandwidth, according to Saab. GaN offers smaller chip sizes (12sqmm) when compared to GaAs whose chip size is usually greater than 15 square millimetres. Three of the radars, operating in the S-band, address advanced applications in medium- to long-range air defence and air surveillance applications.

Since most facts about the EL/M-2052 is classified we can only speculate.
EL/M-2052 weighs quite less at around 180kgs and can fit in the small Tejas.
But most importantly, it can track a massive number of 64 targets with a power of upto 10kVA; with these numbers for all we know it does have GaN.
EL/M-2052 is a functioning, flight tested, inductable AESA radar.

The naval ELTA MF-STAR is also GaN based.
Its instrumented range is unknown but it can detect fighter class targets at over 250kms.

Another GaN based system from ELTA is the ELM-2090 which has a detection range of upwards of 500km and can detect ballistic missiles and satellites.

Unlike the ERIEYE the EL/W-2090 based Phalcon AWE&C has 3 AESA radar arrays instead of 2 making it a true 360° AEW&C platform.
Though the EL/W-2090 based Phalcon's range is classified the earlier iteration of Phalcon based on the EL/W-2075(1990s) was once called the most advanced AWE&C platform in the world and had a range of around 350-400km, should put things into perspective as to the range of the current Phalcons.

Since most facts about the EL/M-2052 is classified we can only speculate.
EL/M-2052 weighs quite less at around 180kgs and can fit in the small Tejas.
But most importantly, it can track a massive number of 64 targets with a power of upto 10kVA; with these numbers for all we know it does have GaN.
EL/M-2052 is a functioning, flight tested, inductable AESA radar.

The naval ELTA MF-STAR is also GaN based.
Its instrumented range is unknown but it can detect fighter class targets at over 250kms.

Another GaN based system from ELTA is the ELM-2090 which has a detection range of upwards of 500km and can detect ballistic missiles and satellites.

Unlike the ERIEYE the EL/W-2090 based Phalcon AWE&C has 3 AESA radar arrays instead of 2 making it a true 360° AEW&C platform.
Though the EL/W-2090 based Phalcon's range is classified the earlier iteration of Phalcon based on the EL/W-2075(1990s) was once called the most advanced AWE&C platform in the world and had a range of around 350-400km, should put things into perspective as to the range of the current Phalcons.

If the EL/M-2052 had GaN, there would be no point in hem making a proposal to India to create a new version with GaN, would it?

It does not.
No functioning small fighter jet radar has GaN at the moment and it will possibly take another 10-15 years for jets to sport it.
SAAB believes that they can deliver a GaN based fighter radar in 1-2 years, once they know the physical dimensions, and aircraft with the radar can be produced within 5 years.
They are simply waiting for a business case.

SAAB believes that they can deliver a GaN based fighter radar in 1-2 years, once they know the physical dimensions, and aircraft with the radar can be produced within 5 years.
They are simply waiting for a business case.

It could be but limitation will be cooling for it,powering it and most importantly the cost factor.
Heck indian airforce is mostly still running on slotted arrays and an old low powered PESA(BARS of su-30 mki).
Only jaguars have been upgraded to aesa as of now.

I think only bigger fighters will eventually be upgraded to GaN due to cost factor eventually.

It could be but limitation will be cooling for it,powering it and most importantly the cost factor.
Heck indian airforce is mostly still running on slotted arrays and an old low powered PESA(BARS of su-30 mki).
Only jaguars have been upgraded to aesa as of now.

I think only bigger fighters will eventually be upgraded to GaN due to cost factor eventually.
Gripen E is using GaN in many of its EW components already.
The fighter radar was a tad too late unfortunately, so they went with the SAAB/Leonardo joint design.

Same as rafale,i guess they were claiming the new spectra suite is GaN based.Dont remember exactly.
Yes, Rafale F4 EW should be GaN based.
First flight planned for 2023, with full functionality in 2025.
Meanwhile Gripen E rules supreme, LOL!

If the EL/M-2052 had GaN, there would be no point in hem making a proposal to India to create a new version with GaN, would it?

Who's making the proposal?

It does not.
No functioning small fighter jet radar has GaN at the moment and it will possibly take another 10-15 years for jets to sport it.

I see, I stand corrected.

Last edited:
Hi @randomradio
What makes you think I'm oblivious to the fact that GaN technology has been achieved by DRDO? Achieving a technology no doubt a very commendable task is very different from maturing it to the extent where users can put his trust into the design. I'm not at all denying that they've not achieved the technology, it is just that they'd take couple more years to mature it to the extent where it can replace GaAs from arudhra, ashwin and ATDCR etc

I was banned as I was replying to this post. :lol:

Anyway, from what I understand, when DRDO releases technology, it is generally for manufacturing. Of course, I couldn't find anything about who and for what purpose they have released the tech, but I will give you the benefit of the doubt and agree with what you are saying unless new information comes in.

Don't pay much attention to others, in this world , facts and evidences are your swords and the shield!

You are right about that.

Yes, Rafale F4 EW should be GaN based.
First flight planned for 2023, with full functionality in 2025.
Meanwhile Gripen E rules supreme, LOL!

You can't compare the two.

Saab has offered GaN on SiC, whereas Thales is working on Diamond. The advantage over SiC is humongous, almost 2 or 3 times superior to SiC.

Also, the Rafale F4's avionics suite is 6th generation. Gripen E is nowhere close. It is on par or better than the Rafale F3+, but nowhere near F4. For example, the Rafale will have radar capability in 360 degrees.

On the contrary.
As per this year's standing committee on defence report, the project for the GaN MMICs are supposed to start from this year, so I really doubt that Arudhra or Ashwini have Indian GaN.

It is generally not so simple. You won't see someone like Jaitely attending a ceremony unless it's big enough. Maybe the GaN was released for some other project and not Arudhra, but then maybe not. Let's see how it is in time.

GaAs, GaN etc are all drop fits. Meaning, you can upgrade your radar with GaN in the field itself. For example, it takes 2 hours to switch the Rafale's PESA to AESA and can be done on the flightline.

GaN is an enabling technology. You can build new stuff using that, including processors.

Back
Top Bottom