What's new

Israeli super radars set to give LCA fighter jet enhanced combat capability

You seem to be confused. There are two Arudhra radars. One is GaAs and the other is GaN.

AMPL won a tender from an "overseas company" to manufacture "radar subsystems" back in 2012. So what you are talking about is the MRSAM project with the Israelis. As part of offsets.

The DRDO Chief said they are improving the current GaN radar, by pushing the peak power to 100W from 40W, but the 40W version is already in production.

AMPL delivered the T/R modules for DRDO Arudhra during its development. But AFAIK, Astra wasn't chosen to make the GaN modules. I believe it is either BEL or another govt manufacturer, most likely BEL, that was tasked to make it because they wanted to protect technologies involved.

Israeli Arudhra for MRSAM - EL/M 2084. Total 18 ordered.
x610.jpg

You can even see Arudhra mentioned in the plaque.

DRDO Arudhra. 8 ordered.
38MO1oI.jpg

The DRDO Arudhra started development a decade ago, so it obviously started off with GaAs, I believe imported from Israel. DRDO wanted to standardize on imported GaAs, but the IAF insisted they want a more advanced radar. That's why DRDO moved to digital AESA with GaN. All the production versions are GaN.

http://pib.nic.in/newsite/PrintRelease.aspx?relid=159925&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
The Minister also released two other products developed by DRDO namelyIP-based Secure Phone and the Gallium Nitride Technology.

DRDO Arudhra was accepted for production only last year. In fact, only a few months ago, December. And this is after DRDO released GaN for production in March 2017.

You need to do a lot of research before you actually comment on this stuff with authority.

*yawn*

I would recommend keeping up with what's happening in the subcontinent if you are on a subcontinent forum.

The plaque.
DSC04751-777969.JPG

Even this radar has GaN.
LLTR_Ashwini_Radar.jpg

Once Rohini's production run ends, Ashwini's production will begin. Which is very soon.

Are the mmic's manufactured in india for the aesa radar??
I doubt that very much and would like to see a link if possible.

Are the mmic's manufactured in india for the aesa radar??
I doubt that very much and would like to see a link if possible.

Yes, of course. It's DRDO developed, why will they hand it over to a foreign company?

Both GaAs and GaN are fabricated in India itself. In fact, we have moved even our military processors to GaAs. Plus, our GaN is built on sapphire whereas Sweden's is built on Silicon Carbide. GaN on Sapphire is a significantly more superior design.

Hell, I think DRDO is building GaN by themselves through GAETEC or another lab.

Yes, of course. It's DRDO developed, why will they hand it over to a foreign company?

Both GaAs and GaN are fabricated in India itself. In fact, we have moved even our military processors to GaAs. Plus, our GaN is built on sapphire whereas Sweden's is built on Silicon Carbide. GaN on Sapphire is a significantly more superior design.

Hell, I think DRDO is building GaN by themselves through GAETEC or another lab.

Fair enough,though the fighter jet radar they showed is actually zhuk-ae aesa(mig-35 aesa)radar...:hitwall:

https://economictimes.indiatimes.co...ed-combat-capability/articleshow/64111919.cms

The home grown Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) is set to be equipped with Israeli super radars that will give it the combat edge to engage multiple air and ground targets simultaneously. Israeli firm ELTA is likely to shortly bag an order for a new set of AESA (Active Electronically Scanned Array) radars for an air force order of 83 LCA Mk 1A jets.

The Israeli firm appears to have beat off competition from French firm Thales for the contract that has been in the works since 2016. Sources said that advanced negotiations are now on to finalise the contract at the earliest for early delivery of the combat enhanced jets to the Indian Air Force.

The ELTA radar is a derivate of the EL/M-2052 Active Electronically Scanning Array (AESA) that has also been equipped onboard the Jaguar DARIN III fighter jets of the air force. It has been selected for the LCA program ahead of the French Thales RBE2 radar derivative. Earlier, other suitors including the Americans and Swedes dropped out of the competition.

The integration of an AESA radar is a pre requisite to the air force order that also mandates equipping the fighters with beyond visual range missiles and an electronic warfare suite. The radars give much more range and engagement potential to fighters, enabling them to engage targets from a distance without getting detected. The AESA will give the LCA an edge over fighter of a similar weight category that are operating in the region with conventional radars.

The Jaguar DARIN III is India’s first fighter jet to be equipped with AESA radars with 58 of them being integrated currently onto the fleet. The deep penetration fighter fleet got a big upgrade with the new radars, significantly increasing the air force’s capability to carry out cross border strikes.

AESA radars have replaced conventional systems at the heart of all modern fighter aircraft – be it the Dassault Rafale and Boeing F/A 18 other than fifth generation jets like the F 22 and F 35.
Why not sp2012 using her own vedic Radars? They are far superior then AN/APG-77v1

Ahh......now an Israeli radar for the so called INDIGENOUS LCA Tejas.
Anything landed India become INDI-GENOUS where a=is replace with GENOUS. Learn that my friend.

RandomRadio unfortunately makes random comments confusing his wishes with reality.
Won’t be reading any of his posts from now. Simply a waste of time.
Actually some of his points are true. However I am afraid he takes internet chatter way too seriously that's all.

You seem to be confused. There are two Arudhra radars
No I'm not confused my friend, I know what I'm talking about. Did you not read--"LRDE's Arudhra"?

That's why DRDO moved to digital AESA with GaN.
Digital AESA-yes, GaN-No.

You need to do a lot of research before you actually comment on this stuff with authority
Hi @randomradio
What makes you think I'm oblivious to the fact that GaN technology has been achieved by DRDO? Achieving a technology no doubt a very commendable task is very different from maturing it to the extent where users can put his trust into the design. I'm not at all denying that they've not achieved the technology, it is just that they'd take couple more years to mature it to the extent where it can replace GaAs from arudhra, ashwin and ATDCR etc

I would recommend keeping up with what's happening in the subcontinent if you are on a subcontinent
Don't pay much attention to others, in this world , facts and evidences are your swords and the shield!

Ag
Can Tejas actually fly? Thats the question before we ask about which radar will equip the jet :)
Again... Another so called senior member is here to derail the thread....
I think derailing the thread is a criteria for becoming senior member

But we don't called it our INDIGENOUS product but JOINT VENTURE, sorry kid to burst your bubble this palace is not for yours go play your toys @RoyalEnfieldBullet500 :suicide::suicide2::lol::enjoy: more than 70% software hardware on your cowpiss junk, out of this universe 1000000000000000000000000 Tej@$$ is foreign based tech and still called it your INDIGENOUS FCUK, do you know what is the meaning of INDIGENOUS @RoyalEnfieldBullet500 kid :hitwall::lol::rofl::enjoy:

Chacha...so you guys had to JV with China for paint??? That's is pathetic!

You seem to be confused. There are two Arudhra radars. One is GaAs and the other is GaN.

AMPL won a tender from an "overseas company" to manufacture "radar subsystems" back in 2012. So what you are talking about is the MRSAM project with the Israelis. As part of offsets.

The DRDO Chief said they are improving the current GaN radar, by pushing the peak power to 100W from 40W, but the 40W version is already in production.

AMPL delivered the T/R modules for DRDO Arudhra during its development. But AFAIK, Astra wasn't chosen to make the GaN modules. I believe it is either BEL or another govt manufacturer, most likely BEL, that was tasked to make it because they wanted to protect technologies involved.

Israeli Arudhra for MRSAM - EL/M 2084. Total 18 ordered.
x610.jpg

You can even see Arudhra mentioned in the plaque.

DRDO Arudhra. 8 ordered.
38MO1oI.jpg

The DRDO Arudhra started development a decade ago, so it obviously started off with GaAs, I believe imported from Israel. DRDO wanted to standardize on imported GaAs, but the IAF insisted they want a more advanced radar. That's why DRDO moved to digital AESA with GaN. All the production versions are GaN.

http://pib.nic.in/newsite/PrintRelease.aspx?relid=159925&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
The Minister also released two other products developed by DRDO namelyIP-based Secure Phone and the Gallium Nitride Technology.

DRDO Arudhra was accepted for production only last year. In fact, only a few months ago, December. And this is after DRDO released GaN for production in March 2017.

You need to do a lot of research before you actually comment on this stuff with authority.

*yawn*

I would recommend keeping up with what's happening in the subcontinent if you are on a subcontinent forum.

The plaque.
DSC04751-777969.JPG

Even this radar has GaN.
LLTR_Ashwini_Radar.jpg

Once Rohini's production run ends, Ashwini's production will begin. Which is very soon.

On the contrary.
As per this year's standing committee on defence report, the project for the GaN MMICs are supposed to start from this year, so I really doubt that Arudhra or Ashwini have Indian GaN.

https://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&s...FjAAegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw0jnCGrMZgdHh36OFSoo0u8

You have no clue what will happen, until India makes a decision, and then after that,
they need to place an order. If the order is not cancelled, and IAF takes deliveries,
THEN You can make the types of comments You make above.

Plenty of Indians who make bold statements like that, like they had a clue.

The Raven GaAs based AESA radar is a codevelopment between SAAB and Leonardo.
SAAB has an GaN AESA Radar flying in GlobalEye, proving they can handle GaN tranceivers.
They have working pulse doppler radar, with stealth detection capability, proving they have the backend algorithms in place, They have stopped the fighter radar, at the stage where they need to have the physical dimensions right for a certain fighter.
They are way ahead of ELTA, which uses an old fashioned technology.

Disagree.

Have a look at ELTA's radar portfolio.
http://www.iai.co.il/2013/34481-en/Groups_ELTA_EltaNumber_Products-ELM.aspx

Also, ELTA's fighter borne AESA(EL/M-2052) is ready for integration.

:lol::lol::lol::rofl: truth hurt isn't you troll @北京烤鴨 and by the way its quite shame to your real flag you false flagger @北京烤鴨 and use this @北京烤鴨
View attachment 473636 :mod::jester:

be on topic!

your forget there no Indian indigenous engine so which can exceed dry thrust of 50 KN lets wait for few more when kaveri comes out with help of french companies @Indian wonk '
https://www.quora.com/What-is-current-status-of-Kaveri-engine @Indian wonk :p::enjoy:

only a half fool will believe anything written on "Quora", grow up kid

On the contrary.
As per this year's standing committee on defence report, the project for the GaN MMICs are supposed to start from this year, so I really doubt that Arudhra or Ashwini have Indian GaN.

https://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&s...FjAAegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw0jnCGrMZgdHh36OFSoo0u8

Disagree.

Have a look at ELTA's radar portfolio.
http://www.iai.co.il/2013/34481-en/Groups_ELTA_EltaNumber_Products-ELM.aspx

Also, ELTA's fighter borne AESA(EL/M-2052) is ready for integration.

It is not surprising that an old fashioned GaAs AESA radar is ready for integration.

With the launching of two new S-and X-band classes of the GIRAFFE surface radar on 12 May 2014, Saab continues to embark on multifunction radar options, providing a unique capability to nearly all military and security missions. Based on gallium nitride (GaN) semiconductor technology, the new radars include the X-band GIRAFFE 1X and S-band GIRAFFE 4A systems, as well as GIRAFFE 8A which is also operating in the S-band. The two new classes also include Sea GIRAFFE 1X and Sea GIRAFFE 4A as naval variants.

With a detection range of 350km, the latter exceeds twice the detection range of the earlier Sea GIRAFFE system found aboard the Royal Swedish Navy’s VISBY-class corvettes and US Navy’s INDEPENDENCE variant LCS. Saab EDS quotes this radar’s simultaneous detect and classify capacity at more than 1,000 tracks.

Sea GIRAFFE 4A combines air surveillance, air defence, sense and warn, and weapon locating capabilities in a single, low-footprint AESA radar, the company noted. Saab also explained that the GIRAFFE 8A radar is the surface-based variant of the company’s ERIEYE AEW&C radar system, exceeding a range of over 450 kilometres. It is also suitable for the TBMD role.

The GaN semiconductor technology used in the five new GIRAFFE options allows for a much higher output level, providing the radars with a longer range and a capability to detect and track very small objects in the air over distances of over 100 kilometres. Each of the five radars will be relatively cheap to operate and potentially capable of operating in a dense, complex Electronic Countermeasures (ECM) environment and under the harshest climatic conditions. Compared to gallium arsenide (GaAs), which is not wideband and robust enough, GaN is extremely useful for detecting very small airborne targets, including RAM targets, and offers a larger bandwidth, according to Saab. GaN offers smaller chip sizes (12sqmm) when compared to GaAs whose chip size is usually greater than 15 square millimetres. Three of the radars, operating in the S-band, address advanced applications in medium- to long-range air defence and air surveillance applications.

Back
Top Bottom