What's new

Israel Responded to an Unprovoked Attack by Hizbullah, Right? Wrong

parihaka said:
No offence Sig but you read far to much populist press.

Parihaka, you want to see just how he can't admit he knows crap all?

sigatoka said:
1. I didnt claim that i know more than you, partly because I dont know what I dont know, and I dont know what you know unless you elucidate what you do know.

And yet, you continue to demonstrate your ignorance as the end-all, be-all of military knowledge

sigatoka said:
2. In gulf war the Iraqi's had already lost before the first ground battle was fought. Hundreds of their tanks, artillery pieces and thousands of their troops were dead before ground forces reached them. The remaining troops were shell shocked and half starved.

After-action reports for that war has been around for 10 years and yet, people still are either too lazy to read or too **** to understand.

1) There were 3 major tank battles when the ground battle began. And you want to know something? The Iraqis got everything they wanted. Saddam sacraficed the Republican Guard at Kuwait Airport, 73 Easting, and Medina Ridge and saved his army.

Oh yeah, airpower so was good that most of Saddam's army made it back into Iraq.

And when the Iraqis did stand and fight, they fought to the best of their abilities which was far tougher than people gave them credit for.

sigatoka said:
Al Khafji occured before the U.S. airforce had ample to work the Iraqis well. It was merely an attempt to get the U.S. ground forces to attack before they were prepared.

Oh now, there are limits to the USAF. However, let me get this straight. Open desert. A division size march. And somehow, they managed to capture Al Khafji? Further more, it was a USMC LAR BN that stopped them and four US Marines in Khafji did more damage than the USAF did and these were ... gasp ... ground forces.

Pure malarchy.

sigatoka said:
3. Exactly, brigade level action to depose the Taliban backed by tens of thousands of troops and Al-Qaeda's hundreds.

10s of 1000s of troops? *** rolling my eyes ***. You want to name them? The Khandahar Area of Operations was the responsibility of the 187th Brigade Combat Team, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault). At the time of Tora Bora, the 187BCT consisted of the 187th Infantry Regiment, re-enforced by the 3rd Battalion, Princess Patricia Canadian Light Infantry Battle Group. After Tora Bora, the 187BCT was further re-enforced by the British 4th Commando Group. Now, if you can add, that's a total of less than 9000 troops.

sigatoka said:
4. In the face of the overwhelming airpower, most Iraqi troops didnt even fight, they couldnt wait to throw away their uniform and boots and run home. Only the Fedayeen and some of the regular iraqi troops fought (numbering at most a few thousand out of an army of a nominal strength of few hundred thousand).

Most of those who walked away were not even thought of by the USAF and I will guarrantee you that most of them never even seen an explosion. They ran away because they chickened out, NOT because anything the USAF did.

And I have no idea where you get your math. The divisions that fought to the death were the 51st Infantry, the Medina, the Baghdad, and the Hamrabi. If you can count, that's around 48,000 troops.

sigatoka said:
5. That seems to be an extreme definition. Wouldnt most people say that when airpower has been the decisive factor, that it has won the war?

Decisive factor? See this, Pari? I've counter his assertions with historic facts and he comes out with this. The decisive factor in the Kuwait War was VII Corps. The decisive factor in Afghanistan was the 187th BCT. The decisive factor in the Iraq War was V Corps. Except those wars fought at sea, there has not been one war where airpower was the decisive factor. Even in the Kosovo War where the decisive factor was Milosevic chickening out. The 3JA was certainly more than ready for a fight.

Officer of Engineers said:
Even in the Kosovo War where the decisive factor was Milosevic chickening out. The 3JA was certainly more than ready for a fight.
I remember you talking about planning a ground war without Wesley Clark's permission. Do you think Milosevic got wind of this, or did he simply not have the bottle?
Parihaka, you want to see just how he can't admit he knows crap all?
Alas, as I know all too well, the failing of university students everywhere

parihaka said:
I remember you talking about planning a ground war without Wesley Clark's permission. Do you think Milosevic got wind of this, or did he simply not have the bottle?

LMAO!!! You know this would not be the 1st time in history that the enemy knows of our plans but the commander doesn't.

What is known is that the British 22SAS and the Canadian JTFII were ready to start going into Kosovo on the night of the Serb surrender. Their jobs were to start lasering targets as both AF were frustrated at the lack of successful hits.

It might have been possible that the Russian contingent start noticing the disappearance of known SAS and JTF II guys from the British and Canadian SFOR contingents but I don't think they would know more than that. Certainly the British and Canadian battlegroups tasked with going into Kosovo didn't know that.

The history tells us, however, it was the Russians who convinced Milosevic to surrender. Guess they were the ones who took the bottle away.

1. 10s of 1000s of troops? *** rolling my eyes ***. You want to name them? The Khandahar Area of Operations was the responsibility of the 187th Brigade Combat Team, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault). At the time of Tora Bora, the 187BCT consisted of the 187th Infantry Regiment, re-enforced by the 3rd Battalion, Princess Patricia Canadian Light Infantry Battle Group. After Tora Bora, the 187BCT was further re-enforced by the British 4th Commando Group. Now, if you can add, that's a total of less than 9000 troops.

2. Most of those who walked away were not even thought of by the USAF and I will guarrantee you that most of them never even seen an explosion. They ran away because they chickened out, NOT because anything the USAF did.

1. I was talking about Taliban, they had a force of a few tens of thousands.

2. People dont chicken out on their own. B-52's circling overhead does that.

Back
Top Bottom