What's new

Israel pressures China to back Iran sanctions

the "peacenik" is a realistic person.

iranian leaders are rational thinkers that use nuclear weapons as insurance against regime change by outside powers. nothing more. it is a major deterrance, though not absolute.

the US and israel have always been singing a good-cop bad-cop play, trying to bluff the world into sanctions like those that brought down iraq.

iranian leaders are rational thinkers that use nuclear weapons as insurance against regime change by outside powers. nothing more. it is a major deterrance, though not absolute.

the US and israel have always been singing a good-cop bad-cop play, trying to bluff the world into sanctions like those that brought down iraq.

Yes! Essentially it is (1) Israel's need to be absolutely superior militarily to all perceived enemies and (2) USA fear of Iran's potential to transfer nuclear devices to terrorist groups that drives this "wish" to stop Iran from becoming a nuclear armed State. The USA believes, my self included, that Iran is the biggest troublemaker in the Middle East. If Iran acquires nuclear weapons, the Iranian Revolutionary Guard may be emboldened by this new "regime protection" to foment anti-Government insurgencies in several Sunni-led ME states.

However, I think the Obama Administration has come to accept that Iran will get the bomb. The Obama Administration must maintain its Iranian position, in public, to satisfy its Sunni allies in the Middle East and to avoid the antipathy of pro-Israeli groups in the USA.

Israel may truly not have accepted a nuclear-armed Iran and is now threatening to cause a conflagration in the Persian Gulf as a means of holding everyone's feet to the fire. Israel's "power" to pressure China, Europe and the USA is its ability to start a war in the Persian Gulf. It may be a bluff or they (the Israelis) may actually be willing to start a war with Iran. It looks like they are trying to convince China's leadership that they are not kidding.

the israelis do not truly think they have a threat from iran because of ideology. they supplied iran in the 1980's against iraq. they have a threat from iran because iran is getting stronger.

i think the israelis are bluffing; if the sanctions work this bluff may turn into reality, since sanctions will weaken iran to the point that israel can take it out.

Frankly dude, Jewish Americans can support whomever their hearts feel are right to support. While I certainly don't agree with Tibetan Independence, but there are those who support DL out of their conscience even though you might be right to feel that they are mis-informed of the whole picture.

And btw with what exactly are you going to bargain for their "support" for DL?

Rule #1: Faustian bargains will come back to haunt you ... stick to principles, my friend - that's what will work over the long run.

There have been some "strategic" voices in the last little while from various levels in the PRC that Tibet, Taiwan, and Iran are all separate issues!

Each is fundamental in its own way ... America will always sell weapons to Taiwan (why not? ;)), and there will always be "voices of conscience" for DL - the more you "bargain", the more these will appear "heroic".

But there is a bottom line to each and every one of them - until this is breached, best to continue with your Tai Chi ... :coffee:

Just my 2 cents.

Geo-politics decides everything.

Most of Chinese are anti-extreme Islamic.

But this time, we must support Iran.

USA should know that she can't anything she want. (美國不能隻手遮天)

:china::pakistan:

Chinese diplomacy is double sword. They aggree with everyone and do what is in their national intrest. They can agree with sanctions and still deal with Iran through paper companies. The Saudis dont need oil diplomacy with China. The Saudi-Chinese friendship is trusted enough by Chinese to sell them nuke capable CSS3 missles in 1960's. The Saudis are not wary of Iranian nuke bomb..they are more concerned with their ayatollahs and export the revolution rehotric. If Iran can tone down they might build bridges of trust.

Neither Israel nor Iran is a friend of China.

But to show off our power against the West, supporting Iran is the best way!

Yes! Essentially it is (1) Israel's need to be absolutely superior militarily to all perceived enemies and (2) USA fear of Iran's potential to transfer nuclear devices to terrorist groups that drives this "wish" to stop Iran from becoming a nuclear armed State. The USA believes, my self included, that Iran is the biggest troublemaker in the Middle East. If Iran acquires nuclear weapons, the Iranian Revolutionary Guard may be emboldened by this new "regime protection" to foment anti-Government insurgencies in several Sunni-led ME states.

However, I think the Obama Administration has come to accept that Iran will get the bomb. The Obama Administration must maintain its Iranian position, in public, to satisfy its Sunni allies in the Middle East and to avoid the antipathy of pro-Israeli groups in the USA.

Israel may truly not have accepted a nuclear-armed Iran and is now threatening to cause a conflagration in the Persian Gulf as a means of holding everyone's feet to the fire. Israel's "power" to pressure China, Europe and the USA is its ability to start a war in the Persian Gulf. It may be a bluff or they (the Israelis) may actually be willing to start a war with Iran. It looks like they are trying to convince China's leadership that they are not kidding.

American fails on the World diplomacy (China, Russia, Iran, N. Korea, Africa and Muslim world), because you always think that the World belongs to you!

Back
Top Bottom