What's new

Is Urdu not Pakistan's official language?

^^^I guess purpose of creating the thread is explained in first post itself, so no need for snide remarks, you can always ignore. One of the purpose of joining this forum was to know more about Pakistan and Pakistani psyche.

Mods, please close the thread, my question has been answered.

^^^I guess purpose of creating the thread is explained in first post itself, so no need for snide remarks, you can always ignore. One of the purpose of joining this forum was to know more about Pakistan and Pakistani psyche.

Mods, please close the thread, my question has been answered.

what 'snide' you found here? :confused:

Sri said that he is happy to live with Aryan Indians without any problem. That was just sarcastic one.

I speak urdu, and i hate MQM :D

P.S Who speaks Hindi in India? Bollywood people?

Well I guess I should have elaborated on my question, I assumed wise people would be able to read my question.

Pakistan provinces have been divided on linguistic basis each having their own local language Sindhi, Punjabi, Baluchi, Pashtuni (or whatever they speak in NWFP).

So, my question was, who speaks Urdu? Is it just the Mohajirs and their descendent's who speak Urdu?

PS: Bollywood stars only speak English in real life. They hire local dubbing artists to fill in their dialogues in movies:D

^^^^^actually yes hindi is spoken widely in the region where bollywood is most popular,the nothern belt.

One of the things that drives me nuts is when I see English words written out in Urdu script. Why don't we have actual Urdu words instead of having to use English words?

From simple things like people's names "Ay Em Naqvi" instead of "Alif Meem Naqvi" to official government departments and forms. Why is the PAF logo say "Paksitan Air Force" in English not "Pak Fazaiyya" in Urdu? Why does the Supreme Court logo and signs say "Supreme Court of Pakistan" in English instead of "Adalat-Aazmi Pakistan" in Urdu?

The British left over 60 years ago. Time to cut the apron strings.

One of the things that drives me nuts is when I see English words written out in Urdu script. Why don't we have actual Urdu words instead of having to use English words?

Habit and convenience

Language is a constantly evolving entity, I doubt languages can survive without incorporating words and phrases from other languages.

Try coming up with Urdu words for Random Access Memory or Subscriber Identity Module :P

what 'snide' you found here? :confused:

Sri said that he is happy to live with Aryan Indians without any problem. That was just sarcastic one.

I was replying a Pakistani poster, you came in between.

Habit and convenience

Language is a constantly evolving entity, I doubt languages can survive without incorporating words and phrases from other languages.

Try coming up with Urdu words for Random Access Memory or Subscriber Identity Module :P

Scientific and other words are an exception, but 99% of superfluous English usage can be replaced by equivalent Urdu words.

As for technological jargon, even that can be translated. The French, Germans and Japanese have their own words for these things; they don't need to borrow English terms.

Scientific and other words are an exception, but 99% of superfluous English usage can be replaced by equivalent Urdu words.

As for technological jargon, even that can be translated. The French, Germans and Japanese have their own words for these things; they don't need to borrow English terms.

Good point Developereo, however there is a big difference between France, Germany and Japanese analogy.

These countries have only one language that everyone there can speak read and write. Besides that language is central to their identity as a nation and culture.

I don't think that is the case with Urdu (or Hindi in India), because of that reason, adopting Urdu/Hindi as a de facto national language would not be a feasible option.

Official Language of Pakistan? It C++, Believe me it is. (It is a conspiracy by RMC to not let people know their official language)

On a serious note: Urdu is our National language and English is Official. There is an Urdu university working in Pakistan where higher Education is in Urdu. Also, there is a government organization with the task to translate new words in Urdu so that Urdu can be used as Official Language.

The problem with Urdu is that most of the new words are taken from English. Like Internet, Motor, Computer, etc. These words need to be translated into Urdu and there has to be some program to make awareness among people.

For instance, what is Vacuum Cleaner called in Urdu? Now, there is a word for it but very few people know it. Its "Khala Gard Kush". Its taken from Persian.

Good point Developereo, however there is a big difference between France, Germany and Japanese analogy.

These countries have only one language that everyone there can speak read and write. Besides that language is central to their identity as a nation and culture.

I don't think that is the case with Urdu (or Hindi in India), because of that reason, adopting Urdu/Hindi as a de facto national language would not be a feasible option.

I am not sure about India but, in Pakistan, Urdu is the national language and is understood everywhere. You can go anywhere in Pakistan and get by just fine speaking Urdu. Granted, in the more rural areas, the Urdu will be heavily accented and mixed in with local words, but you will still manage to communicate.

In that respect, Urdu in Pakistan is like French in France or Japanese in Japan.

there is a government organization with the task to translate new words in Urdu so that Urdu can be used as Official Language.

Never mind new words; let's use Urdu words that already exist for known concepts like department, health, national, ...

Don't tell me this government department is called 'Department of Urdu Translation" instead of محکمہ اردو ترجمہ (Mohakkma-e-Urdu Terjuma) ;)

Last edited:
Well I guess I should have elaborated on my question, I assumed wise people would be able to read my question.

There are wise people around here including me :D but coming from an Indian there is always chances of intentional provocation, so you should have been wise enough to elaborate more.

Pakistan provinces have been divided on linguistic basis each having their own local language Sindhi, Punjabi, Baluchi, Pashtuni (or whatever they speak in NWFP).

Language of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa is Pashto.

So, my question was, who speaks Urdu? Is it just the Mohajirs and their descendent's who speak Urdu?

No, Urdu is not confined to Mohajirs only, alot of people in punjab and sindh speaks urdu. balouchi's and pathans speaks urdu, as it is said its like a national language.

Ona side not: Not all Mohajirs support MQM and their agenda.

PS: Bollywood stars only speak English in real life. They hire local dubbing artists to fill in their dialogues in movies:D

If its sarcasm then its alright :pop:

I see people from India here dont know whats their official language, and yet they want to discuss whats the national language of Pakistan.
Ask ToI to first have a concensus on Indian official language first.

Lol...first go through the previous posts buddy (Posts 15-20 and post 29)

India has Hindi (Devanagiri script) as its official language with English being the auxillary official language.

In addition to it there are additional 19 wide-spread languages that are accorded the official status (states can pass legislation for their own offcicial laguagge).

And Tamil Nadu alone doesnt come under the offcial languages act.1963 whereby its only offcial language is Tamil and the centre-state communication happens in English.

We are crystal clear on ours...are you on yours.?

Aryan as in linguistically, right?

Linguistically and racially (if that is a race).

Back
Top Bottom